Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Default My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)

Who knew when I bought my 1996 Formula off a Florida showroom floor that I would still be driving these wonderful cars 20 years later. Bought them both new and held on to the Formula until Dec 2004 when I just ran out of garage room. Someone in Gainesville FL became the new owner with it's very low 40,000 miles. I currently have 47k miles on this T/A. The photos are in my driveway when we lived in FL and in my current driveway here in NC, plus a cool photo of my wife and I on the Tail of the Dragon here on the NC/TN line.

My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)-img_20160108_0001.jpg

My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)-img_20160108_0002.jpg

My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)-img_20160108_0004.jpg

My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)-img_20160108_0003.jpg
Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Very nice cars Dave, and congratulations on 20 years with 4th gens!

I'm only at 17 years with these cars, but did have a 3rd gen two years prior to that. 20 years ago I was still an Oldsmobile person, with a couple of Cutlasses.

As a side note, I see that your Trans Am was originally optioned with GS-C tires. I loved those tires, I wish Goodyear still made them.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats!

my first car was a 93 3.4 camaro that i got from my brother when i turned 16, when I turned 18 and bought a w68 black firebird which got totaled in Nashville after 6 months ( I got rear ended and pushed into traffic by an idiot that never slowed down for a redlight).

I still have the 01 Firebird which was also a w68 but its since been converted to a Trans Am. 17 years of f-bodies for me as well still my favorite car and ones that are maintained I dont feel like the look as dated as other cars from that same time.....until you see the interior.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys! I've owned so many cars and this is my favorite. Maybe I'm but it fits me so well and has all the power I need. Ref the GS-C tires, the only thing better IMO were the Goodyear GS-D3 which replaced them and were the best tires I ever owned. No more Goodyears in 16" unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

BTW - This thread made me feel old...

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm only at 17 years with these cars, but did have a 3rd gen two years prior to that. 20 years ago I was still an Oldsmobile person, with a couple of Cutlasses.
You forgot to mention your Flintmobile, old man...

Originally Posted by NC01TA
the only thing better IMO were the Goodyear GS-D3 which replaced them and were the best tires I ever owned.
Don't be too sentimental about those things! If you were to drive through my neighborhood right now on those tires, you'd wrap your car around a telephone pole. They were the worst performing tires I've ever experienced on cold wet roads or slush/snow. I'd almost rather be on slicks. They sure do look pretty, though.

BTW - Life is much better on my BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires. (I think probably better than the original Goodyears that came with the car.) The move was almost worth the accident I got in to the forced the change...

Last edited by wssix99; 01-10-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Good for you! I bought my first in 1997 (94 Formula A4/3.23, dark green, articulating leather seats, no T-tops; looked very much like your picture) and have daily driven them for the past 18 years - with the exception of a two year hiatus when I sold one to finance purchasing my Judge.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
You forgot to mention your Flintmobile, old man...
I resemble that remark.

Don't be too sentimental about those things! If you were to drive through my neighborhood right now on those tires, you'd wrap your car around a telephone pole. They were the word performing tires I've ever experienced on cold wet roads or slush/snow. I'd almost rather be on slicks. They sure do look pretty, though.
Did you think Goodyear was kidding about classifying these as a Max Performance SUMMER tire?!

I had the GS-D3s too, for about two years. Any time the temp got down to around 40-45°F they seemed to turn to grease until warming up some from extended driving. I never tried to drive on them in weather any colder than that. GS-Cs were much more forgiving in the 40-50°F range, and a better *looking* tire IMO, but the GS-D3 was in fact the better performer in warm weather.

BTW - Life is much better on my BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires. (I think probably better than the original Goodyears that came with the car.)
The original Eagle F1 GS that came on your WS6 was a horrible tire for dry weather traction. Just awful, even at stock power levels and MUCH worse with any additional power. I've heard some people claim they were good in the rain, but I never drove that car in any foul weather to know first hand. I dumped mine for the vastly better BFG KDW (just slightly less sticky than the KD version, but with much better tread wear) back when they were first released in the early 2000s - another great tire that has since been discontinued.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

BTW - This thread made me feel old...

Don't be too sentimental about those things! If you were to drive through my neighborhood right now on those tires, you'd wrap your car around a telephone pole. They were the worst performing tires I've ever experienced on cold wet roads or slush/snow. I'd almost rather be on slicks. They sure do look pretty, though.

BTW - Life is much better on my BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires. (I think probably better than the original Goodyears that came with the car.) The move was almost worth the accident I got in to the forced the change...
That's what I have on my T/A now. They certainly are a better all-season tire but those GS-D3's would grip like no other. I rarely drove on them in the winter. They turned as hard as a brick below 32 degrees.

Appreciate all the responses. I always wonder how long I'll keep this one. If I wrecked it, or something happened to it, I have a feeling I would find another 'like new' one with 10,000 miles on it stashed away somewhere.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

BTW - Don't be too sentimental about those things! If you were to drive through my neighborhood right now on those tires, you'd wrap your car around a telephone pole. They were the worst performing tires I've ever experienced on cold wet roads or slush/snow. I'd almost rather be on slicks. They sure do look pretty, though. ...
I thought that the GS-C's were great, too, and even bought a replacement set - until I did a 360 on an icy curve one day. At the time, coming from San Diego to the land of ice and snow, I had no idea that they were a "summer only" tire. The KDWS were the best all-season I've had for snow. They had a blocky tread pattern that would churn through it nicely.
I've had those too, and they are only okay in snow at best; at 50% treadwear they become hard as rock in cold weather. I got rid of them after almost having a head-on on a cold day when the rear broke loose and came around on only mild acceleration.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Did you think Goodyear was kidding about classifying these as a Max Performance SUMMER tire?!
At the dime of my purchase, TireRack listed them as All-Season.

The original Eagle F1 GS that came on your WS6 was a horrible tire for dry weather traction.
Yea, they spun like crazy from a stop with stock power.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I've had those too, and they are only okay in snow at best; at 50% treadwear they become hard as rock in cold weather. I got rid of them after almost having a head-on on a cold day when the rear broke loose and came around on only mild acceleration.
My enthusiasm is now tempered... I am thankful I live in front of a bus stop.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

At the dime of my purchase, TireRack listed them as All-Season.
Wow, that was a dangerous typo on their website then. Lawsuits have been filed for less. I can't imagine trying to drive around on those in a Chicago winter, especially if it was the winter of 2013-14. It was like -16°F for most of January, plus the snow - all 70+ inches of it.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice cars Dave, and congratulations on 20 years with 4th gens!

As a side note, I see that your Trans Am was originally optioned with GS-C tires. I loved those tires, I wish Goodyear still made them.
Ha. Your automotive journey sounds familiar. When I was 19, bought a 72 Cutlass convertible that I restored into a tribute (that word wasn't invented yet back then) W30 including OAI and Hurst Dual Gate.

Factory ordered a 92 Formula TPI 5 speed.

Quit cars for about 10 years while small children were in the high-maintenance phase.

Since I can only stable one Hot Rod at a time, good all-around compromise is my current WS6 6-speed convertible.

Would like to own a C7 some day. A car guy at my level of dedication deserves something with an aluminum frame. Mercy.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Ha. Your automotive journey sounds familiar. When I was 19, bought a 72 Cutlass convertible that I restored into a tribute (that word wasn't invented yet back then) W30 including OAI and Hurst Dual Gate.

Factory ordered a 92 Formula TPI 5 speed.

Quit cars for about 10 years while small children were in the high-maintenance phase.

Since I can only stable one Hot Rod at a time, good all-around compromise is my current WS6 6-speed convertible.

Would like to own a C7 some day. A car guy at my level of dedication deserves something with an aluminum frame. Mercy.
Definitely some striking similarities here. My older Cutlass was a '71 hardtop "S", not really suitable for a proper 442 clone as it wasn't the fastback. My other Cutlass was an '86 Salon model that I partially cloned into a 442, though not very well.

My next move was then to an '89 Formula 350 hardtop.

I never took a break though, just moved right into 4th gens starting in 1999 with a brand new Z28. From there it has been a string of other 4th gens plus a simultaneous return to older muscle. One toy at a time just isn't my style.

I could see myself with a C6 at some point, but that's probably as new as I'd ever go in terms of toys.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^ I had a c6 for a while, it was me and my wifes fun car. I miss that car but we traded it in with another car to get her something nicer to start our family. C6's are a lot of fun though I wished it was a Manual. I might go back one day or get a c7 I think they are really sharp.

Gto was my dream car though so I'm pretty content for the moment, and of course I cant get rid of fbodies either...... so many toys so little time
Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I recently visited the Bowling Green assembly plant to see these things put together. After seeing the methods and amount of duct tape & super glue used - you couldn't pay me to own one.

If you have a timeline, you can sit back and rest easy waiting for the C8. It looks like that will be a total clean slate car and will probably be a lot more exciting.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I also have had 6 fourth gen Firebirds and a 1994 Z-28 Camaro since I got my license in 1999. I honestly can't see myself driving any other kind of car. I bought my Formula brand new in August 2002 and have never had the desire to buy another new car.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that was a dangerous typo on their website then. Lawsuits have been filed for less. I can't imagine trying to drive around on those in a Chicago winter, especially if it was the winter of 2013-14. It was like -16°F for most of January, plus the snow - all 70+ inches of it.
Don't remind me of that winter. My poor T/A had to endure every minute of it. I'll tell you what though, Blizzak forever has my business when it comes time for snow tires.

Even with no extra weight in the back at ALL and malfunctioning traction control, I never once got stuck, had the rear step out or slid in a turn or coming to a stop. My ex-gf's family dubbed my car the Snowmobile because it handled it so much better than all of their FWD cars with all-seasons on them.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Don't remind me of that winter. My poor T/A had to endure every minute of it. I'll tell you what though, Blizzak forever has my business when it comes time for snow tires.

Even with no extra weight in the back at ALL and malfunctioning traction control, I never once got stuck, had the rear step out or slid in a turn or coming to a stop. My ex-gf's family dubbed my car the Snowmobile because it handled it so much better than all of their FWD cars with all-seasons on them.
I take it you didn't live in AL during that winter? Or did the polar vortex really make it that far south?

I agree about Blizzak, I used them on my daily driver '02 Z28 for Chicago winters as well. That car was unstoppable with those tires, as far as paved urban roads go it might as well have been a 4x4.

Quick Reply: My 20th year of Firebird ownership (pics)