Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is there anyway to open hatch without keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there anyway to open hatch without keys

Trying to open my hatch from inside car without keys.. left them at my moms house.... this car is a roller so the glove box wont work lol by the way its a 2001 trans am...
Old 03-05-2016, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

roller, so no battery power? yeah that's not gonna be easy, if you can climb thru to the back and pull back the carpet on the back "wall" of the hatch you can access the mechanism, on the mechanism is a rod that runs out to the lock cylinder, if you can find a way to rotate that rod it might pop open, not sure if that just activates an electronic solenoid or not tho, so even after all that it might not work.

or maybe some jumper cables from another car to the battery terminal connections on the roller so the dash button will work might be easier, really depends on how stripped down the car is.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get your keys. Do yourself a favor
Old 03-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Pull out the dash panel under the steering wheel to expose the hatch release button. Ground a 12V battery to the chassis and then put the positive side of the battery to the release button terminals. I'd think that would do it.

I recall that switch being a simple one and not controlled by RAP power, etc. (I could be wrong.) Autozone now posts the schematics for reference, for free if you register on their site.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Could you hook up a good battery to the old battery, via jumper cables and press the little yellow hatch release button?

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to open hatch without keys