Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What's required for an LS3 480 into an '02 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's required for an LS3 480 into an '02 Trans Am?

As the title says I'm looking to assemble a parts list and also reference anyone who knows generally how difficult this swap is.

As far as I understand I need to get at least a 90mm TB which is cable driven, the Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter, a cable bracket, extensions for the Cam and Knock sensors, a crank balancer bolt, new water pump gaskets, oil pan gaskets, oil pickup tube O-ring and motor mounts just cause we're there.

My plan is to mate the motor to a set of TSP LS1 stainless steel headers and their true dual kit as well as an LS7 clutch/flywheel combo.

The aim here is a factory feeling daily driver T/A that makes over 400whp. What else should I do while this swap is happening to facilitate that goal? Is my parts list complete? Also which sponsor here could I purchase all of these things from?
Old 05-02-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do like the way you think! End of this season, I'm also planning on installing a new LS3 engine into my 2002 Trans AM/Firehawk.

Couple things to think about:
- Bottom End: Since we're both choosing an ls3, the block will be an ls3 block. I want the extra bore, and revised block over the LS1/LS6 style.

- Top End: Heads, Intake, Injectors. Choose either LS3 top end, or LS1 style top end. I will be going with LS1 style top end, to maintain ease, and standard LS1 style of connectors to the injectors, MAF, and ls1 style rockers, spring, etc to match.

- Lastely, choice of long tubes & exhaust to compliment the intake and power levels, and a dyno-tune.

With the LS1 tope end, that is all plug and play. The LS3 bottom end needs a few adaptors and extension harness. Not much of a problem.

What I'm still uneasy about, and I've search - and havnt found a good answer yet, is the Knock sensors. We need to use LS1 knock sensors to match our LS1 PCM, and relocate them to the side of the LS3 block. But I'm not sure of functionality of the sensors mounted in a different location. Many people disable the knock sensors, but I'd like to keep them functional.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

We have about the same goals except I'm just going to get a crate LS376/480 . I want this build to be as plug and play as possible, which is why I'd like for some of the more experienced among us to chime in and vet my parts list to see if I'm missing anything.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

A crate engine is going to have an LS3 top end, you'll need more adapters, wire extensions, and 24x conversion box.

It'll be more plug & play to have an LS3 engine built, using 24x wheel installed with the build (to avoid the conversion box), along with an LS1 top end.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-ls1-car.html
Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have a set of Mast Black Label 255cc LS3 heads (dual spring upgrade for .700 lift, roller setup, Comp 1:8 rockers), and a FAST 102/102 setup with stock LS3 fuel rails for sale if anyone is shopping.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Knock sensors will work fine on sides of block. All you'll need is an extension harness. I bought the Casper harness from summit. I swapped a LY6 short block with a 24X reluctor into my '05 turbo Silverado. Cathedral top end, I forgot what valley cover you'll need, it'll be a newer cover that sensor comes off the cover NOT the block. Ls2 front timing cover with an older ls2 sensor and another extension harness. Need to make sure you have the correct sprocket which will be an ls1 style.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:00 AM
Teching In

I dropped a TSP LS376 longblock into mine, (with their PRC cathedral heads) with very few issues, my knock sensors aren't even at the side/centre (the later standard position) but near the front, because there was stuff in the way, but it doesn't seem to matter, they work, without adjustments. I run a 24x reluctor, so that all the standard stuff & ECU just worked. I reused my LS1 rocker covers and 1 3/4" headers, sump & water pump/ancilliaries. Oh yes, 36lb injectors, again a direct swap. Obviously, it needed a bit of a tune, lol...

-D

Quick Reply: What's required for an LS3 480 into an '02 Trans Am?