Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Modding a 4th gen vs buying something new...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the fourth gen is what I like to call sports muscle, not really full out either way and is an unique blend of both. Handling, weight, and aerodynamics was top priority for third gens at least since power was down and they had to get faster somehow, then when technology advanced and they could have good power while meeting emissions they'd have a well rounded car. If I recall correctly in its time the IROC was lauded as one of the best handling cars available regardless of origin. If anything I'm more biased towards imports since they've made up the majority of the cars I've owned, but for what's it's worth the Firebird has genuinely impressed me and has put to rest a lot of the domestic stigma I had though I'm still working on the solid axle. I might like a Z32 300ZX more overall as it was a strong contender for me though it has the same problem as F-bodies, finding one without T-tops.

Also I thought here recently with the sixth gen Camaro was the first time GM really has pushed these cars(never mind that 5th and 6th aren't F-bodies) as sports cars, but it'd appear not:
Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxxx
Maybe if it's a NB or newer, but the NA6 was disappointment personally. Same roads same conditions the Formula does better. That said I almost bought a NB1 or NB2 before I found the Formula and would still like to give them a try.
I have a NA8 with 450# front/350#rear springs on custom valved Bilsteins and a Racing Beat front swaybar. This is a street car. My TA has Strano Bilsteins on front with 360# front springs and Koni monotube rears with stock V8 springs. This is a street car. Just based on size and weight, the Miata easily outhandles the heavier TA. And despite the fairly stiff springs, rides pretty darn good over Western PA roads.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Launching!

I really like the look of the NA and thought about the NA8 but was afraid it wouldn't be that big of an improvement chassis wise over the NA6 based on the technical information out there, hence the jump to NB1 and especially the NB2. Though knowing me since I like the NA a lot more aesthetically I'll get a NA8 anyway. Now in really tight corners everything equal the Miata will do better since that's just physics, but the one mountain road and the one highway near me I like to go out on for driving the Formula just happens to go through them with better composure. I still want another Miata though in conjunction with the Firebird, kind of round out the RWD driving experience. I'll go broke just in suspension parts.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Best of both worlds would be a 5.3 LS swapped Miata.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Modern day Cobra.

Quick Reply: Modding a 4th gen vs buying something new...