Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

proud owner of 1999 TA!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proud owner of 1999 TA!

Hi all, just picked up a 99 TA with 59k mi on the odometer. My family history with Camaro and firebirds go back to my folks who had a 72 camaro and an 81 formula. I got the bug and got a 90rs in HS, then a 96 V6. After that I bought a 97TA. Sold it in 03 and misses it ever since. Decided to get an LS1 and have been searching with a limited budget for a couple months. Finally found one sitting on a Nissan dealer lot. I rescued it right before they sent it off to auction for 7500 otd. It's a TTop car w/ 6spd.

Couple of questions, I'm looking for a double din radio to replace the half working Boss unit that's in it. What do you recommend? The car has steering wheel controls and I would like to use them. Also, what's the best wheel tire options for this car? I want to have same size for all 4 but would like something wide for handling and looks but dont want to break the bank. Thanks!

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonstiller
I'm looking for a double din radio to replace the half working Boss unit that's in it. What do you recommend? The car has steering wheel controls and I would like to use them.
This question is best answered in our Stereo and Electronics forum. There are several stickies there, which will get you most of the way to where you need to go. Another big part of the equation is to figure out (probably by checking the RPO codes on the door) if the car came with a Monsoon system originally. If so, you'll want to find out what components of that system are still in play and being used.

If you want to go with Double DIN, you'll need to get a custom bezel. There are threads on how to make them yourself but some companies also provide the service. Here's one of our sponsors that will sell you one: http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...Path=166_22_71

Steering controls use an adapter kit to work with aftermarket radios, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also, what's the best wheel tire options for this car? I want to have same size for all 4 but would like something wide for handling and looks but dont want to break the bank.
I'm going to be a cynic here... You bay get some biased advice asking this question because once someone plunks down several grand on big *** tires, they are going to tell you they are the greatest thing in the world - even if they are not.

Going to a tire with a different contact patch will upset/change the handling of the car. Some of our members who have gone with wider tires have had problems with the car wondering when it hits ruts in the road and (of course) thinner profile tires are likely to give you a rougher ride. If you want to change the profile, I'd say your safest bet would be to go with the same tire that was delivered and installed on the WS6 cars.

If you do change wheels - save yours! Those should be worth $1000+ as a used set. (I know the larger WS6 versions are running $350-$600 each. I'm not sure what the more common TA wheels are fetching, through.)

That all being said... the least expensive way to give your car a better look from the side is to lower it. (No need to change the tires.) The Steering and Suspension has a ton of instructive threads on this.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Nice deal! Welcome back to the F-body world.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Another big part of the equation is to figure out (probably by checking the RPO codes on the door) if the car came with a Monsoon system originally. If so, you'll want to find out what components of that system are still in play and being used.
I'm pretty sure its a safe bet that his car originally came w/ a Monsoon system. All 98+ T/As came standard w/ the "Monsoon" system except for the '98 'verts. The "Monsoon" system was an optional upgrade on lower trim Firebirds (V6s and Formulas).

But I agree that if anything from the Monsoon is still in play, it needs to be accounted for. I'm glad my T/A doesn't have the Monsoon.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I'm pretty sure its a safe bet that his car originally came w/ a Monsoon system. All 98+ T/As came standard w/ the "Monsoon" system except for the '98 'verts. The "Monsoon" system was an optional upgrade on lower trim Firebirds (V6s and Formulas).

But I agree that if anything from the Monsoon is still in play, it needs to be accounted for. I'm glad my T/A doesn't have the Monsoon.
Thanks guys! I'm sure I'm rocking a monsoon system, all speakers seem to be accounted for. I also found an amp in the trunk on the passenger side right behind the rear seat mounted in what looked like a factory position.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you do change wheels - save yours! Those should be worth $1000+ as a used set. (I know the larger WS6 versions are running $350-$600 each. I'm not sure what the more common TA wheels are fetching, through.)

That all being said... the least expensive way to give your car a better look from the side is to lower it. (No need to change the tires.) The Steering and Suspension has a ton of instructive threads on this.
WSSIX are his wheels narrower than WS6 wheels?? I figured that all 17 would be 17x9.5" wheels and they are the same? I have a bent one and need to have it fixed or replace it

nice looking car Jason I have a NBM 2000 Formula WS6 car thats been really neglected but I'm getting there, PO had really bad tires on it dry rotted! wheels road rashed kind of bad but not now!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1969
WSSIX are his wheels narrower than WS6 wheels?? I figured that all 17 would be 17x9.5" wheels and they are the same? I have a bent one and need to have it fixed or replace it
I don't know, but the folks in this thread will: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ons-ws6-s.html
Old 11-09-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I am guessing that all 17 are the 9.5" variety my old Firehawk had 17x9"
thanks for the link
Old 11-09-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi all, just picked up a 99 TA with 59k mi on the odometer. My family history with Camaro and firebirds go back to my folks who had a 72 camaro and an 81 formula. I got the bug and got a 90rs in HS, then a 96 V6. After that I bought a 97TA. Sold it in 03 and misses it ever since. Decided to get an LS1 and have been searching with a limited budget for a couple months. Finally found one sitting on a Nissan dealer lot. I rescued it right before they sent it off to auction for 7500 otd. It's a TTop car w/ 6spd.

Couple of questions, I'm looking for a double din radio to replace the half working Boss unit that's in it. What do you recommend? The car has steering wheel controls and I would like to use them. Also, what's the best wheel tire options for this car? I want to have same size for all 4 but would like something wide for handling and looks but dont want to break the bank. Thanks!

Thanks guys!
"Best" wheel/tire combo has to do with what exactly you want.
The WS6 cars came with 17x9" wheels from the factory with 275/40/17 tires on them, this is a pretty good setup, however the more extreme would be running 17" or 18" x 11" wide wheels with 315 tires, more than likely overkill for what you want as that is a serious auto-x setup. The tire trammeling problem has a lot to do with the tires you run, the psi you put in them and how worn your suspension (seems bushings mostly) is.
You can go as wide as you want wheel/tire wise but the car will still handle and feel like garbage until you upgrade the shocks to something with some actual good valving (oem are useless). I highly suggest Koni sport single adjustables.

Originally Posted by zman1969
I am guessing that all 17 are the 9.5" variety my old Firehawk had 17x9"
thanks for the link
All the oem 17s for our cars were 17x9 to my knowledge.
His car has the base 16x8" wheels.

Quick Reply: proud owner of 1999 TA!