98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE

Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #21
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2001TA View Post
What brand leds is everyone using?
Best place to buy some from?

Thanks.
I got all mine From Walmart. Everything but the 4 brake lights are Pilot Automotive, and the brakes are Sylvania. For the 194 bulbs, I recommend you try to find something other than Pilots, as I'm starting to notice the 194 are being a little glitchy.
MetalNickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #22
Teching In

I used the following flasher and LEDs for my 02 Camaro SS Convertible:

All from <a non-sponsor who will not get free advertising here>

CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible
(with pigtail ground wire)

LEDKINGDOMUS 10x Festoon 44mm 12-SMD Rigid Loop 1.73" White LED Light Bulbs 9 (for interior back seat 'dome' lights and trunk light)

SYLVANIA ZEVO 3157 Amber LED Bulb for front and rear flashers
(2 packages of 2)

SiriusLED 30W 3157 3157A 3057 3155 3457 4157 Dual Brightness LED Bulbs with Projector for Reverse Backup
(SUPER BRIGHT. Light up the neighborhood!)

194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050, Replacement and Reverse T10 White Bulbs(Pack of 10)- Orange/Amber
(I used for front marker lights)

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 881 CREE LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White
(I used for fog lights but not really very bright, may have to go back to halogens.....)

LED Light bulb, Yorkim 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050, Replacement and Reverse T10 White Bulbs (Pack of 10)- White
(I used for all other white interior and exterior lights that use the white T-10 bulb) *** don't forget your ashtray bulb in the console! remove the twist-on cover and drill or cut open the little window so you get more light: take your time and don't cut more than you need to....

Philips 3157 Intense Red Vision LED Stop/Tail light, 2 Pack
(I used for stop/tail lights BUT...YOUR CRUISE CONTROL WILL PROBABLY STOP WORKING unless you leave one of your stop/tail/third brake lights as an incandescent bulb)

Last edited by wssix99; 12-31-2016 at 08:42 AM. Reason: non-sponsor reference removed
rickeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
Teching In

So I finally took the time to do this, and I am having some issues with the front lights. If I put on the parking lights, the 4 front lights light up, the rear lights light up, and its all good. As soon as I turn on the blinkers, the rears work correctly, but the fronts don't. What could be causing this?
ksirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #24
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksirb View Post
So I finally took the time to do this, and I am having some issues with the front lights. If I put on the parking lights, the 4 front lights light up, the rear lights light up, and its all good. As soon as I turn on the blinkers, the rears work correctly, but the fronts don't. What could be causing this?
That is odd, what do they do? Stay lit and not blink? Are you sure you got the right flasher, and that the bulbs are 3157NA? Also just try moving the bulbs around in the socket, LEDs seem to be temperamental and have a sweet spot
MetalNickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #25
Save the manuals!

Quote:
but the fronts don't.
What does this mean? Do both lights turn off? Does only one turn off? Do both stay on? Do they behave the same if the parking lights are on or off???

Quote:
What could be causing this?
The interaction between the flasher, the DRL module, and the bulbs.
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #26
Staging Lane

<Original post removed>

I found this post which is my issue: **Interior Lights and Locks do not work.**

Moving my questions to that thread.

Last edited by thefirebirdman; 01-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
thefirebirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #27
Launching!

This looks like a good website with a LED calculator and it provides the correct LEDs for our cars.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-info/
Also, here is a pic of power resistors.

bgw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #28
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNickA View Post
Front Daytime Running Lights/Turn Signals
This was what started my LED conversion. I burned out and replaced two sockets since having my car for only 4 months. It's not the car's fault, the damn lights are blazing hot after only being lit for a few seconds! We'll replace them for some nice cool (literally and figuratively) LEDs and never replace a socket again!
The lights we will be putting in are 3157NA. Whatever LEDs you get must fit 3157 and MUST BE AMBER. The lenses are clear so you get amber lights. I got mine from Walmart.
To access the DRL/TS lights go under the front and unbolt the access flaps under the nose, or if you're like me, mine are all shredded and all i have to do is pull the flap down. Twist the socket out of the housing and pull the old bulb straight out of the socket. When you put your LED in, have your ignition on, because some LEDs are polarity sensitive, meaning they only work in one orientation. If they don't light up, try flipping it around.

Looking at the picture (ignore the floor, thats from my last oil change), when you plug in your bulb, and your ignition is on, every diode should be lit. If only half of them are lit, or if they are very dim like a burnt out candle, just wiggle it around or push it down harder. LEDs can be very picky about how they sit. Once you have both sides in, you can test them out with your blinkers or hazards. You can convert the DRL/TS to LED without having to replace your flasher.
Love the write up, thanks.
I just did the LED DRL's exactly like the ones you got, amber 3157NA from Walmart. Haven't done anything else yet. I wanna say first, although this doesn't really matter, the amber actually turns out being yellow, not orange like stock.
But here is my question, I installed them and they work, however only the bottom row of lights on the tower light up when running(wiggled/messed with them a ton and no change), the top row and the top of the tower only light up when using the blinker or hazards, is this normal?
Next and most importantly is after installing these my blinker is REALLY slow now, like 5 seconds per blink, however my hazard lights blink normally. Do I need a flasher?
JD_AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
Teching In

Next and most importantly is after installing these my blinker is REALLY slow now, like 5 seconds per blink, however my hazard lights blink normally. Do I need a flasher?[/QUOTE]

surre u need a new one they r super cheap just chnge it - mine did the same
Firebird T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #30
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird T/A View Post
surre u need a new one they r super cheap just chnge it - mine did the same
I never updated this, I ended up buying the flasher he used in his write up and everything works fine now.
Thats bullcrap that I would just have to keep buying LEDs until I find ones that actually work correctly, no thanks.
JD_AMG is offline   Reply With Quote