Originally Posted by jasonstiller
What was the process and materials used for this project?
Wet sand the **** out of a set of 93-97 Firebird lights. I ended up filling in quite a few low spots with epoxy to have a smooth finish.
I chose to keep the three 'small' reflective stripes of the lens visible, along with one row of the 'beads' or 'squares' on the top and bottom of the smaller stripes. The black stripes between the three red ones are only two beads/squares thick, mask off the reverse lights however you choose. Getting the masking just right is the hardest part.
After you're done masking, wipe the lenses with a damp cloth, or with paint thinner, then spray multiple coats of whatever black paint you choose. Be sure to spray down inside the gap around the reverse lights. I let the paint dry for 3-4 hours, removed the tape, and sprayed a few coats of clear coat on top.
I used a couple of spray cans, certainly the results would have been better with an actual paint sprayer. We'll see how they look once I wet sand and buff them.