Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Flat or low cowl hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat or low cowl hood

Hey guys

I have a firehawk with Joe Van Overbeek 5"cowl hood. I need a lower hood so I can drive it on the street. The cowl has been cut so I need one that goes back to the windshield and it has to be a lift off. I thought I would check in here to get recommendations for a quality hood.

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:26 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

There isn't a flat hood available unless you do what I did. I bought a VFN extended nose hood for their fiberglass front end. It is too large on every edge for a stock nose, but trimming it down on each side worked like a charm.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 AM
'Bird Director

Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
There isn't a flat hood available unless you do what I did. I bought a VFN extended nose hood for their fiberglass front end. It is too large on every edge for a stock nose, but trimming it down on each side worked like a charm.

I cant tell in your pic, but does the back of the hood go all the way to the windshield?

The more I look at things I don't think a flat hood is going to clear. I would really like one but a small cowl style is probably what I will have to go with for clearance.

Were you happy with VFN's quality?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Knick
I cant tell in your pic, but does the back of the hood go all the way to the windshield?

The more I look at things I don't think a flat hood is going to clear. I would really like one but a small cowl style is probably what I will have to go with for clearance.

Yes, it goes back to the windshield. I thought the quality was good. They were very concerned that I was trying to order a hood that wouldn't fit my car, but for what I wanted to do it was perfect. It is much larger than a factory hood, and I did cut it down on the front , both sides and the rear. I used Fivestar Bodies hood hinges at the rear so I can have a lift off hood and a hinged hood since I will be alone most of the time at the track.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Knick

Yes, it goes back to the windshield. I thought the quality was good. They were very concerned that I was trying to order a hood that wouldn't fit my car, but for what I wanted to do it was perfect. It is much larger than a factory hood, and I did cut it down on the front , both sides and the rear. I used Fivestar Bodies hood hinges at the rear so I can have a lift off hood and a hinged hood since I will be alone most of the time at the track.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I contacted VFN about the flat hood as I could not find one online, it looks like my only option at this time. It did look like maybe a stock style Fire hawk hood might work, but I did not see any that were lift off. At this point I am thinking stock style hood and make a shaker style scoop.
Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Flat or low cowl hood