::sigh:: I just couldn't stay away....picked up a 94 Formula project. - LS1TECH



Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

::sigh:: I just couldn't stay away....picked up a 94 Formula project.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
TechCam97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 1,070
Default ::sigh:: I just couldn't stay away....picked up a 94 Formula project.

Last November I sold my 2001 Trans Am and swore to myself that I was done. I have had so many fourth gens in my lifetime and I finally got my dream car (1967 Camaro) and I wanted to concentrate on that. Well, late last week I picked up a 1994 Firebird Formula. It's an addiction, I just can't stay away from fourth gens.... My 94 T/A will be a drag car and this one will be just a fun car that I can drive around so I can hopefully start the tear-down and restoration of my 67 Camaro.



I have a nice set of honeycomb tails to go on here and a refinished center panel. It should clean up nice!


Tan interior..... not my favorite, but my 94 Trans Am should help me fix this issue.


The guy threw in some spare t-tops from a 95+ F-Body to replace the dot matrix tops that are on it now.


The engine isn't terrible, but it's missing the ecm and the wiring is torn up. I have the engine harness already from the Trans Am and ordered the ecm this morning. Should be up and running soon.


I went ahead and removed the interior out of my 94 Trans Am so I could use it in the Formula. It's the dark graphite color that I like more so the effort is definitely worth the cost to me. The seats, 97+ center console, and headliner I snagged from the salvage yard today. The seats should clean up nice, I have a console lid coming in the mail, and I'll recover the headliner as soon as I get the material. Definitely glad to have another fourth gen around again, I've missed tinkering on these!



TechCam97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Pontiacerator
iTrader: (12)
 
RevGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wichita KS / Rancho San Diego
Posts: 5,051
Default

Projects like this can be enjoyable. You're cannibalizing the T/A?

We bought a low mileage salvage title Firebird to pull the motor for my son's blown one. But after a couple of easy suspension fixes and some interior items pulled from the salvage yard, the car was too nice to junk. So we ended up saving the car and the college girl living with us is driving and enjoying it.
RevGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,651
Default

I've been looking to replace my '02 Z28 for almost 3 years now, it was a fun driver that I find myself missing more and more every day. My '71 & '98 are garage queen show cars that rarely get driven and require a ton of cleaning and worry any time I take them out, so without the '02 I mostly just use my boring daily driver. I've continued to think about going with something other than a 4th gen this time, but I just keep getting pulled back towards them every time I get close to buying another car. So I totally get the addiction factor. Fun cars for sure, they really seem to get into your blood. There was a '93 Z28 that I just found locally, it looked like a good deal for a higher mileage example that would've made a great worry-free driver. I didn't get to it quick enough though, car sold to someone else.

Have fun with the new project.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
TECH Addict
iTrader: (10)
 
blackbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: cookeville, TN
Posts: 2,742
Default

nice find!

you swapping the tan panels into the TA?
blackbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
TechCam97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGTO View Post
Projects like this can be enjoyable. You're cannibalizing the T/A?

We bought a low mileage salvage title Firebird to pull the motor for my son's blown one. But after a couple of easy suspension fixes and some interior items pulled from the salvage yard, the car was too nice to junk. So we ended up saving the car and the college girl living with us is driving and enjoying it.
Yea, the interior (for the most part) was decent in my Trans Am and it was the color I liked better so I figured "why not?" I was planning on gutting it and making it into a drag car anyways. Unless something drastic happens and I find a wrecked, but complete LS F-Body I can use to piece it back together, then I might save it for street use. For now though, building the T/A into a drag car is the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
I've been looking to replace my '02 Z28 for almost 3 years now, it was a fun driver that I find myself missing more and more every day. My '71 & '98 are garage queen show cars that rarely get driven and require a ton of cleaning and worry any time I take them out, so without the '02 I mostly just use my boring daily driver. I've continued to think about going with something other than a 4th gen this time, but I just keep getting pulled back towards them every time I get close to buying another car. So I totally get the addiction factor. Fun cars for sure, they really seem to get into your blood. There was a '93 Z28 that I just found locally, it looked like a good deal for a higher mileage example that would've made a great worry-free driver. I didn't get to it quick enough though, car sold to someone else.

Have fun with the new project.
Thanks! It's already put a "bounce in my step" as it were, haha! I know my 67 is going to be a "project" soon enough, but I just feel so out of my element with that car. These are what I'm used to and these are what I know. I figured if I could have a fourth gen to drive around and tinker with while I restored my Camaro then I would be in a better mood and less likely to give up hope or take it apart and then not work on it for ten years or something. Definitely enjoying it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
nice find!

you swapping the tan panels into the TA?
Not currently, no. I'll keep them just in case I ever want to try and put the T/A back on the road since it will make it that much easier, but for now I will probably store it all in the attic to keep it safe and out of the way. And thanks!
TechCam97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
Pontiacerator
iTrader: (12)
 
RevGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wichita KS / Rancho San Diego
Posts: 5,051
Default

I'll add that your project car brings back a little nostalgia for me ... my first 4th gen was a 94 Formula that same dark green color, A4, 3.23's, charcoal leather and no t-tops. Bought it in 97 with low miles and immaculate.
RevGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
On The Tree
 
Boxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Springville, AL
Posts: 163
Default

They're fun daily drivers, and good at it. Practical, comfortable, quick, good handling, and I get upper 20's out of mine with the 6-speed. I've owned and enjoy cars from all around the world, but as a total package it's hard to beat fourth gens for the money.
Boxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripping paint from wheels TechCam97 Paint & Body Work 1 08-10-2015 11:06 PM
Has anybody painted a 93-97 Camaro Hugger Orange? DwDrummer Paint & Body Work 1 04-11-2011 04:48 PM
Finaly got pics! 01,99,96 Z28's 93blcZ28 Appearance & Detailing 23 04-09-2008 11:34 PM
Fresh pics of my black 93 Z28:::check em' out 93blcZ28 Appearance & Detailing 26 06-05-2007 07:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.