Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

A poor kids f body journey begins

Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A poor kids f body journey begins

Hey every body just wanted to start a post and go though my build as it progresses . Maybe help some one out maybe even get a few more people to work on their own cars.so let's get this started I come from a import back round well from a Acura integra (boo I know) in my defense it ran a 10.90 and made it to work lol. So back to the point I got a great deal on a 2000 trans am so I jumped on it drove it ended up with knocking noise after a month so I parked it so now I have a car under payments and knocks so I have been saving to build a nice car to get to work .so me being poor I can't afford to pay some one to pull motor . So as of today I'm pullin it out (the top) and I'll add some text and pics as I go let's see what's possible from a broke kid who's never owned a v8🤗.Not every one will like what I do but it's my car ether way interested what's wrong with it and more importantly what I can do Weird old body style in new car?

Dusty but not bad for 17 years old ?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks that it knocked after only a month. I bought my first 2000 Camaro and got wrecked in two days. Dropped the motor and trans and stuck it in my SS
Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Uhhh you sure its a 2000? That is a 93-97 front end with an Ls1 and some random base model camaro wheels. So either the owner did an LS1 swap into an early 4th gen or did a whole front end conversion to look like an early 4th gen.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Uhhh you sure its a 2000? That is a 93-97 front end with an Ls1 and some random base model camaro wheels. So either the owner did an LS1 swap into an early 4th gen or did a whole front end conversion to look like an early 4th gen.
I was all kinds of confused as well lmao

Either way, sucks about the issues. But stick with it and dont get discouraged. You got yourself a nice sleeper with that LT1 front clip
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Formula702
I come from a import back round well from a Acura integra (boo I know)
You didn't go far - you just went bigger! This car wasn't made in America and not a word of English was spoken around it as it was being built - so you are still a part of the import scene, here.

Originally Posted by Formula702
I got a great deal on a 2000 trans am
What state are you in and would you like our assistance in getting your money back? It's obvious that you don't have a 2000 and, with the ground effects, I'm wondering if the car was even a Trans Am originally.

If you paid for something that was represented to be something other than what you bought and/or you received a false odometer reading/statement (that engine isn't original to the car...) then you should be able to get your money back and get a do-over.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Did someone swap front ends or engines?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

looks to me its been wrecked in the front and they replaced the front clip for some unknown reason. A better pic of the engine bay would help particularly some of the stickers on the fender wells showing belt routing and such. If they did a swap they wouldnt bother putting the correct engine bay stickers.

I think your car used to be red though looking at the radiator support it has some red showing through the black paint. That or it got the hell knocked out of it and they chopped and welded some parts from a red doner car and sprayed them.

totally unrelated noted, and im not talking about the validity of it. When did the Odometer being incorrect suddenly become a hot item? In the past month I have noticed a surge of threads about swaps where one of the first comments is your breaking the law with swapping odometers showing different mileage.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

I am thinking about this post. It is very odd
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Teching In

i am also curious to see if the engine was swapped or if the front end being swapped. im also wondering if the car has a rebuilt title or not if it does indeed have a new front end. here to follow
Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

It says ls1 right on the lower fender. Looks like it has the dash of an ls1. Looks like indeed an ls1 car with lt1 front swap.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

But these pictures look like a seller would send to a buyer. I would never take these pictures of my own car
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The VIN and Door Sticker information will be really telling...

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
When did the Odometer being incorrect suddenly become a hot item?
It's a major consumer safety net and a protection against people Frankenstein-ing cars. Falsifying the odometer is a greater sin than ripping off a mattress tag!

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
It says ls1 right on the lower fender.
Do you think that's stock? lol
Old 03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Ok vin and door code say it's a ls1 2000 I'm assuming it's a front end swap but why the tail lights to?dmv gave me a title so I hope it's not hot lol here is a pic of today I got a part had to test for it couldn't wait Tsp low pro
Fit like a dream 102 a little over kill but hey
Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

broke but has sheet metal intake??
Old 03-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I paid 500 with 102 tb and I work my *** off doing what I can't I might be poor but I'm not gonna half *** anything I own here's a pic for u today traded a old Honda block for these
Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Teching In

And to my defense income lol
Old 03-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Welcome.

You didn't go far - you just went bigger! This car wasn't made in America and not a word of English was spoken around it as it was being built - so you are still a part of the import scene, here.

What state are you in and would you like our assistance in getting your money back? It's obvious that you don't have a 2000 and, with the ground effects, I'm wondering if the car was even a Trans Am originally.

If you paid for something that was represented to be something other than what you bought and/or you received a false odometer reading/statement (that engine isn't original to the car...) then you should be able to get your money back and get a do-over.
I would at this point I feel it is what it is but if I got robbed with out a gun I would like things to be fair
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry that came off a bit judgemental after reading later. Hope you didn't get that off eBay though those look nice but they cut some corners on the insides where it matters. It looks great though I debated getting one but Ultimately I stuck with a ls3 because despite what I've done it's not a race car so the low end power loss and driveability kept me out of one
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Sorry that came off a bit judgemental after reading later. Hope you didn't get that off eBay though those look nice but they cut some corners on the insides where it matters. It looks great though I debated getting one but Ultimately I stuck with a ls3 because despite what I've done it's not a race car so the low end power loss and driveability kept me out of one
it's all good it looks good inside like u said I'm not after max power want something nice looking with a gen bolt I don't need low end lol
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Teching In

So a few weeks ago I told baby girl this years income tax we won't be shopping at Victoria secrets or pink but at Texas speed for my new baby girl she didn't think it was funny but was behinde me I thought it was funny after she looked up Texas speed lol so got two months I ordered a apr boot a week and will the great package from Texas speed a day with tap water and pb and j wasn't that bad.parts are stacking up hopefully tomorrow I can get the motor out and tore down to see the problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A poor kids f body journey begins