Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

The slowest build/restore thread you'll ever see

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The slowest build/restore thread you'll ever see

First off this is a budget build. When your girl has three kids, very little can go towards this project. It will be slow and probably boring but when you go from page "1" to page "whatever" as time goes on, youll see a broad amount of progress.....I hope. Enjoy, leave feedback, Im open to many opinions and ideas....but please refrain from the "put a V8 in it." She's in a rought state but I believe every car has a right to live for many thousands of miles

1995 Firebird w/ a 3.4L V6. Four speed auto. While a lot of you live and breathe V8, this is my entry into an American brand. I come from imports and four bangers so bear with me on my knowledge as this is a learning experience for me. Its 20 years old and has spent its entire life in Del Rio, Texas which, because of its massive lack of rainy season, means this car is CLEAN!!!! Paint sucks, interior sucks but the engine has new heads and at 160k miles, it is quite smooth and doesn't pose to many problems.

The car:

Last edited by delrio_bird; 06-05-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Did some cleanup tonight. Came out real nice for its 150k+ mile engine

Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck! Did you get the car recently, or do you just want to freshen it up? What are your plans for the exterior?

Whats the deal with the duck? It looks like hes up to something in the last picture.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Love when owners freshen up their cars and give them a second chance.

Post often please!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Man that car is clean underneath!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
Good luck! Did you get the car recently, or do you just want to freshen it up? What are your plans for the exterior?

Whats the deal with the duck? It looks like hes up to something in the last picture.
I just got the car about a week ago and Del Rio is a DRY town so while it is rust free...it was dirty as hell. Im finding dirt in places I never thought I would. The P/O didn't really take care of it so Im having to really get in there with a pressure washer.

But for the current moment its just a refresher until I can start racking in some nice replacement parts

....Oh and the duck....it was found in the trunk of the car so I figured it should stay with it. Made a bet with a friend that I could have the duck present in each photo
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Felt like photography today

Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice! I wouldn't let the length of time concern you much. I'm at 7+ years with mine. It'll be done when I get it done
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Nice! I wouldn't let the length of time concern you much. I'm at 7+ years with mine. It'll be done when I get it done
I wanna hopefully finish it soon so I can roadtrip it back to South Carolina and show it off at the shows there.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Photo op and steam clean for the day

Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the pic by HEB. Have you considered painting it black? Whats left to do before taking it to South Carolina?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

I like the pic by HEB. Have you considered painting it black? Whats left to do before taking it to South Carolina?
Because I just got the car, Im looking over everything to make sure its up to par for a roadtrip. I have thought about black by the way. Just this texas heat is killer
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see. I wasnt taking your climate into consideration. My car is black, but it has t-tops and Im up in New Jersey. In that case I would lean towards silver, but thats just me.

I just realized you steam cleaned the engine bay. Did everything go alright? It seems like a lot of early fourth gens have problems with the ignition after cleaning. It might just be an optispark issue and I dont know if the 3.4 has an optispark.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I see. I wasnt taking your climate into consideration. My car is black, but it has t-tops and Im up in New Jersey. In that case I would lean towards silver, but thats just me.

I just realized you steam cleaned the engine bay. Did everything go alright? It seems like a lot of early fourth gens have problems with the ignition after cleaning. It might just be an optispark issue and I dont know if the 3.4 has an optispark.
Funny you say that because the coils blew out. At least I hope its all that went out. I just ordered another 3 coils and the module. Hope it sets it right
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Such is life. You cant let it get you down. Things break and they get replaced. It will make the car better in the long run. Did you get a warranty on the coils just in case it happens again?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Might have some competition... Sept will be three years for me.....
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
Love when owners freshen up their cars and give them a second chance.

Post often please!
It's nice to see someone giving an old muscle car a second lease on life, even if it's the base model.

I always hate seeing late model Mustangs, Firebirds, or Camaros abused and neglected whether they're 4 bangers, V6s or V8s.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JLFIII
It's nice to see someone giving an old muscle car a second lease on life, even if it's the base model.

I always hate seeing late model Mustangs, Firebirds, or Camaros abused and neglected whether they're 4 bangers, V6s or V8s.
Yeah it always seems to be my fortune to get base model cars. The VW further up was the base model engine too. But hey...wheres the fun if you have the same sh*t everyone else does?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Finally got my "new" coil packs in. $30 for the entire setup that came out of a Buick. Going to clean it up before installing it tomorrow. Hope it'll get my baby running again.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
LOL, yup. I worked on mine for 7 years, sold it, bought it back, and I'm another year into working on it. Still have a long *** way to go. I've spent the last year just trying to fix everything that is broken, haven't even had a chance to do any new mods. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do something new to it!

Quick Reply: The slowest build/restore thread you'll ever see