Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Problem with headlamps

Old 11-05-2004, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with headlamps

Is anyone having problems with a recurring headlamp outage. I've replaced the passengar headlamp (dim) 4 times. There is continued moisture in the lens and the pigtail seemed really loose when we replaced the lamp ourselves the last time it went out. I was told I need a new headlamp assembly, but they said that is just another headlamp? Which didn't make alot of sense. Anyway, my extended Pontiac warranty will not cover it. They can't find anything wrong, so they can't fix it. And, the lights also dim for about a second or two while I'm driving. (of course the only time I notice it is when it's dark) So when I wreck because my lights go out altogether, I'm gonna own a piece of my dealership (if I live thru it!)! When no other lamp has gone out & I've replaced the same one 4 times, something is not right!!!!! All suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine dim for a split-second every once in a while too. I'm not experiencing the moisture problem that you're having though....I hope you get it figured out. Since the headlights are sealed when you buy them, I'm a little baffled as to how moisture is getting in there. Are cracks or holes appearing somewhere on the lenses? I had a headlamp with a bb-size hole it in once from what I would presume was road debris that struck the lense. That lense had a small amount of moisture in it, but it worked for a long time after that happened.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Try taking the headlamp out of the vehicle and run water over it in the kitchen sink. Look for water and see if it gathers inside. About your lights dimming while driving, my 1998 does the same although you may want to check the battery. The check for the battery is a simple one-leave the lights on and start the car-if the headlamps dim the battery is losing its charge. I believe all the sockets for these cars are GM items only so if you don't want to pay dealer prices you can find a salvage yard. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with headlamps