Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I will next set I do....
Awesome!

I may just have to bring mine out to you, your repairs look excellent!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribing for pics. I'm bout to try to fix mine when I install my CDT Speakers. I saw one pic/thread where someone used a zip tie to pull the crack together, but lost it somewhere.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a set of 30ths that were cracked:

This is what the repair looks like from the back side...notice the wire I use to replace the staples...that works much better than anything else I have tried. Its actually electric fence wire...its stong, thin and flexible.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97ramsst,

What are you using to repair with - front and rear? Are using vinyl dye when finished?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some quick pics of the repair I made so others can get a reference. I didn't put any mesh with the epoxy. Just slapped some epoxy on and did nothing to the front. For the felt strip I ended up using 4-40 machine screws and red Loc-Tite to hold the nuts on after I took the hog clips/staples out. I initially tried the paper clip method, but found it hard to twist and bend the bottom to get them fasted and keep the felt down all the way. It still looks a lot better than it did. I think the tan interior makes it harder to camouflage where the crack was, but at least it's closed up now. I'm by far not a perfectionist and was not attempting to make it totally disappear in my first attempt. I didn't have a huge crack to begin with as you can see in the pic with the zip tie not fastened yet. Sometime down the road I may take them off again in an attempt to make them look as good as 97ramsst does with his.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't leave room for the plastic to move it will recrack or continue to crack. In other words if the screws are holding window sweep tight to the door panel. That's what causes them to crack in the first place. That's the reason you use a wire smaller than the original staple...so it can flex without stressing the panel.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
I can't stand looking at it any longer. I'll be fixing mine in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the write-up, Bandit.

also, maybe an *edit* in the title would be a good idea? something like "Fix in Post# 159."
..just to save some time.

Just for *****:

Jersey Mike - 80k, passenger side.
You can add me to that list :/
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HPP
Has anyone seen their interior door panel plastic crack?

It apparently happened all on it's own. My car, bought new in July of 02, with 9 miles on it, now only has about 6050 miles (roughly). Unfortunately, it can't be kept in a garage, just the driveway. It had a cover that got damaged and has now been without one for about a year or two (just broke right now). It does have windshield screens though.

It doesn't get driven when there is frost on it, or when it is too cold, or wet. It only ever comes out in the winter to keep it from sitting too long. (and never when there is salt or snow on the road)

It's also quite rare for there to be passengers. Not sure if this is related or not, but, the reason I stopped taking passengers within the first year, is because everybody had to slam the damned door. EVERYBODY. I got sick of it. If it had a frame around the window I wouldn't mind....as much. But with the glass pressing against the seal, it really bothered me. And I swear the door closes differently than the driver's side now (far less effort needed and makes a different sound. Nothing rattling or loose, just different).

At any rate, on the way to do some x-mas shopping, a friend pointed out a white line on the passenger side interior panel, perfectly vertical, starting at the metal strip at the top of the opening for the window, and just about even with the passenger seat back. He thought it was excess cleaner/conditioner residue, but when I inspected it, I found that it was split.

I have no idea what could have caused this. Did a search here but found nothing.

Anyone else have this? Any ideas what caused it so I can prevent it from happening again? Is this repairable short of a panel replacement?

I'll try to get some pictures as soon as I can.

Both sides have done this one mine, twice. I have heard it is because of the frame twisting from the torque. I have noticed it has stopped spreading after I installed Sub Frame Connectors.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog99TA
Both sides have done this one mine, twice. I have heard it is because of the frame twisting from the torque. I have noticed it has stopped spreading after I installed Sub Frame Connectors.
I don't believe that for a minute, ..., I find it hard to believe that it is attributed to frame flex at all. 62 pages of people talking about the staples & how the panel is not allowed to flex & how it pulls the panel apart at that square corner, ..., etc., etc., ..., & now we learn it's all because we all need sub-frame connectors?!?

Next time you put your window down all the way, watch the door panel from the rear or from the door jamb, & watch the panel flex during that last 3-4 inches.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I bought my 01 Ta convertible used in 2004. Shortly after buying I noticed the cracks starting. For the longest time they did not seem to get worse. The drivers side now has really started to get bigger. Have not gotten clear through this thread but have not seen too much on how to fix this short of trying to find some new ones or used ones.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Teching In

My '98 camaro door panels suck, I bought '99 Trans Am door panels assuming they would work....they don't. Nothing lines up, what do I do fellas ? Suggestions are welcomed !
Old 10-05-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GNC Rick
My '98 camaro door panels suck, I bought '99 Trans Am door panels assuming they would work....they don't. Nothing lines up, what do I do fellas ? Suggestions are welcomed !
Get a Trans Am.

Panels are door specific nothing to do about that.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Chaman, you are the bearer of bad news....nothing I can do about that, for real ? C'mon man, that sucks....it's too bad really, I have door panels & seats out of a '99 30th anniversary T/A I was gonna use.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not that I know of. Perhaps someone has found a way.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

What's the charge to repair door panel cracks?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 PM

Just finished 4 inner door panels. 2 on a 02 Formula an 2 on a 01 TA. I do not think i would want some one else to do them. I did mine and used the Bondo 280 repair kit for the back side. They can be a chore. Got to catch them when the crack is just starting. If you guys are interested I can go into detail on the full repair.

I went even further. Completely removed the felt top. Enlarged the staple holes and holes in the door panel as well. Where the crack was instead of a zip tie i used nylon kite string with a big needle and really tightened up the crack. Attached the top felt the same way. Tryed wire and did not like it so thought i would just sew it and figured the bigger holes would alow for expansion. Worked Great
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Teching In

common problem with these birds if the crack has just started you can remove the panel and then remove the large staple that holds the seal on to the top of the panel in the area where the panel stops and the starts again after you remove the staple then drill two small holes on the left and right side of the panel were you removed that large staple then use a small then zip tie and insert one end in the drilled hole and insert the other end into the other drilled hole the secure the zip tie ends watch not to pull the zip tie to tight this will close the gap of the crack so it is not seen this is a good fix for panels that have not started to crack yet it was a bad design flaw almost all 3rd and 4th gen birds the door panels crack as did on my 2001 ws6 hope this helps oh this will only work if the crack is just starting or not at all if the crack is all the way down the door this will not work only thing to do is buy a door panel they are about 350 to 500 new for each side andabout 250 to 300 used if you can find them

Last edited by richard637551; 03-01-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Mine did it too. General Motors for ya. My interior is nothing but cheap plastic crap anyways, the whole things fallin apart. Drag cars don't need interiors anyways.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Are the door panels pretty easy to get off without scratching or breaking anything? Mine are mint and the cracks are just starting to show, nothing that is able to be seen without looking really hard, but I'd still like to fix it before it gets worse.

Also, for this fix do you have to remove all of the staples or just the ones near the problem spots? I'm worried about getting the top piece to sit flush again, so not really sure if I want to replace them all or just the problem ones.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Answered in the other thread but pull all the staples so the panel can move. Replace with something that can move a bit. I used small bolts, washers, & nuts. I drilled a hole in the panels that was slightly larger than the bolt so everything could move as it expanded and contracted with the weather.

Quick Reply: Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!