Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS! - Page 27 - LS1TECH

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #521
TECH Enthusiast

I can't comment on whether its the plastic or not to blame. I can state for certainty that removing the two rear staples releases the door panel from compression/tension forces and relaxes to the point that you can just position the cracked portion with one hand to where the crack is barely visible. I imagine that some careful light application of vinyl/plastic paint in the correct shade would help conceal the crack after the repair has been performed.

I recommend removing all the staples. I am not sure what I will use yet but I am considering using some small zip ties to hold the inner window sweep on and epoxy a patch on the back of the crack.

See photos for two staples removed before and after

Staples removed AND crack NOT aligned

Staples removed/crack aligned. Some light application of plastic/vinyl paint should make this mostly invisible.
30thanniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #522
TECH Enthusiast

My 99 had both split all the way trough I did the NJSteve repair using 97 and older panels and looks good my 2000 has the cracks starting this and I will repair as above
zip tie, epoxy and reinforce and restaple

Wish GM would pay better attention to details like this! alot of peoples pride and joy at stake. This is why people by jap cars! quality fit and finish that we cant seem to care about producing
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #523
TECH Enthusiast

I failed at the repair. None of the plastic epoxies suggested worked and I am realizing that even if it did the hairline crack would still be visible. For some people this may be a non-issue.

I may try something stronger and then try my hand at blending in the hairline crack with one of those old style venial repair patch patterns.
30thanniv is online now   Reply With Quote