Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Replacing T/A fog lamp bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing T/A fog lamp bulbs

Does anyone know how the heck you get the bulbs out of the fog lamps? Or does the whole damn assembly need to be replaced?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Launching!

On my Formula fog lamps, it was difficult, but I had to twist the bulb alot for it to finally come out of the assembly. I don't know if it's different on the Trans Am though. BTW, you have the absolute NICEST looking Trans Am on I've ever seen!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the complement! That really made my day! Of course when I look at it, all i see are the ugly sail panel bubbles . I'll have to jack the front end up I guess to get at them from behind the front clip.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You should find several threads on this topic by using the Search function.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are a bitch at times....... good luck i hate when mine go out
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

clean t/a btw!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, got the bulb out. It completely exploded. Theres pieces of it now in the bottom of the assembly. Already ran and got a new bulb. I have no idea how I'm gonna get those pieces out. Maybe a coathanger with double sided tape...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fa18007
ok, got the bulb out. It completely exploded. Theres pieces of it now in the bottom of the assembly. Already ran and got a new bulb. I have no idea how I'm gonna get those pieces out. Maybe a coathanger with double sided tape...
Oh man, the same thing happened to me, the bulb exploded somehow. I just ended up replacing the entire foglight assembly (and put a little scratch in the the bumper while removing it). Then, after I installed the 2nd bulb and assembly... that bulb blew up after 1 day AGAIN! But that time the glass wasn't all over so I left the one piece of glass in there, replaced the bulb, and have had that bulb in since. I have no idea why they kept exploding on me .

I cannot stress how much I LOVE your Trans Am! I recently crashed my Formula into a tree after hydroplaning and losing control (Pics) and I'm actually in the process of fixing/rebuilding the body and converting it to a Trans Am WS6. I plan on it looking just like yours... except I may go with the WS6 badge instead of the WS7.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont really know if this helps or not but on my firebird if i take the black headlight covers off i can get to the bulb socket.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

yes, I just went through the same thing. it sucks.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

what I do on mine is remove the fasteners on the bottom of the bumper that connects it to the ducting for the radiator and pull it down then remove the two bolts to the assembly and get the bulb out that way

but of course mines an LT1 WS6, I dont know how different the set ups are
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
what I do on mine is remove the fasteners on the bottom of the bumper that connects it to the ducting for the radiator and pull it down then remove the two bolts to the assembly and get the bulb out that way

but of course mines an LT1 WS6, I dont know how different the set ups are
thats how i did mine, and i am a big guy with big hands so the way i had to bend my arm to get the damn bulb off was not fun! I should have replaced them both while i was there but i didnt think of it til after. they are a real bitch!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone ever put the blue HID replacements in the stock lens? I did, and after about a month I noticed that at night when I just had on the fogs, they weren't very bright at all. So, one night I went and inspected them very closely and noticed that both were sitting at around a 30 degree angle pointing at the sky. Next day tried to take them out to see why....they both melted the housing into the plastic of the bulb base...they were fused together. Had to break the base off of both just to remove them...that's when I knew the housings (lens) were no good. Ordered two new housings off ebay and put OE bulbs back in. Just in case anyone thinks they might try the "bright blue replacements".....
Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought some HID look bulbs from this guy in Japan, They looked awesome and they were freaking bright The guy said they burned hotter than Xenon bulbs

But After driving with them for one night, I got home and noticed that one of them was out. So the next day I was going to replace the bulbs, So I got under there and pulled them out. Guess what happened. The Japanese bulbs melted my foglights. I got so PISSED

It sucked. So 150 dollars later and two new foglight housings I found out that sylvania made a xenon bulb for the foglights.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I think mine were the same as you're speaking of....but I didn't pay that much for them....I think I paid around $30 for them off of ebay.....and they had Japanese writing on them.....I still have another set that I never put in.....don't know what the hell to do with them.....
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Has anyone tried the new "halo" fog lights for the TA?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by almostlive
Yeah, I think mine were the same as you're speaking of....but I didn't pay that much for them....I think I paid around $30 for them off of ebay.....and they had Japanese writing on them.....I still have another set that I never put in.....don't know what the hell to do with them.....
No mine were 30 bucks too, but since they ruined my fog lights, I had to pay 150 to get new ones.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fa18007

Maybe try using a blow gun to blow it all out, or just pull the assembly I know it sux, but that happened to mine
Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I found out that sylvania made a xenon bulb for the foglights.
Are those the Silverstars?? I just bought those for my fog lights... havent installed them. Im looking to see if they make them for my headlights and install them all at once... get all the sucky stuff done at once...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
Are those the Silverstars?? I just bought those for my fog lights... havent installed them. Im looking to see if they make them for my headlights and install them all at once... get all the sucky stuff done at once...
Yea I put the silverstars in my TA. they look pretty good. I think the part number for the fogs is 880 ST or something like that.
But they look way better both during the day and at night, and man I can see alot better with them at night

Quick Reply: Replacing T/A fog lamp bulbs