Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Started looking for Snow tires...funny story (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Started looking for Snow tires...funny story (long)

So its getting cold up here in beautiful New England, and they are already talking snow in the mountains, so I figured I better start thinking snow tires. The 00 T/A will be the winter "beater", and I figure the only hope I have is with a good set of sneakers under it. I've certainly not new to the RWD in the New England winter experience, but this is the first time I'm going to buy snow tires.

I was driving by our local mall that has one of those large departments stores that sells everything from lawn mowers to bras, and supposedly tires.
I figured I'd run it by their "tire guys" and see if they had anything to offer.

It was pretty brief but here is how it goes..."Hi, I know I'm early but I was looking to see what you guys have to offer for snow tires...", "hi, yes you're very very early, we won't have anything for at least a month.", ok I thought, "I figured, but can you at least tell me what you might suggest and or what you will have available?", long pause from tire guy..."Sure, what's it for?", I reply thinking here we go..."2000 Pontiac Trans Am." Another long pause by tire guy..."don't even bother, snow tires won't help you at all, your best bet is to get a decent set of all seasons and try to deal with not being able to drive it...I used to have a GTA and it went nowhere in the snow ever..", I almost rolled my eyes but tried to stay professional and not be one of those customers.."ok, well unless you are going to drive me everywhere I go, I'd still like to know what you offer..." now he's getting upset "ok, but I wouldn't waste my money, ....oh wait, we don't offer snow tires in 245/50/16, looks like you're out of luck...".

The moral of the story is...don't go to the appliance and battery people for snow tires
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take that $300 or some dollars and then the money you are going to spend on INSURANCE DEDUCTABLES and parts rotting from salts and such and go buy a cheap beater truck that you don't give a **** when you just feel like doing donuts on a slick parking lot and tap a telephone pole or curd a rim . I tried the therory you are going for one time and even in virginia were winter isn't that bad it SUCKED . Then I just bought a $1000 hunting truck and drove that when it was nasty. It made life so much less stressful and fun
Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PLOEG
Take that $300 or some dollars and then the money you are going to spend on INSURANCE DEDUCTABLES and parts rotting from salts and such and go buy a cheap beater truck that you don't give a **** when you just feel like doing donuts on a slick parking lot and tap a telephone pole or curd a rim . I tried the therory you are going for one time and even in virginia were winter isn't that bad it SUCKED . Then I just bought a $1000 hunting truck and drove that when it was nasty. It made life so much less stressful and fun
I wish that was an option, but if you noticed the signature...the T/A IS my beater...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Well just get some tires, anywill do, just tell them the size don't bother saying it's for a Trans Am, you will get little more then laughs. Then go and get about 200 pounds of tube sand and put it in the back of the bin. And leave the traction control on, if your TA is an A4 your in luck, if not well then just barely slip the clutch out and hope the people behind you don't get impatient, or the folkls infront don't get impatient.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tire Rack has some with steel rim packages.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Default Driving in snow,

My .02 cents. First of all, I've been driving in New England since 1979. mostly in rear wheel drive V8's. I've had to drive my last 3 F-body's year round. (I currently have a Chevy Silverado Z-71 for winter use.) On my '86 and '88 IROC-Z's I used to do the following. Take off the 16" rims/tires and replace with 15" rims with all seasons up front and studded snows in the rear. I believe they were 215-70-15"s. The problem with traction is not the diameter, but the width. With a wider tire, the car "floats" on top of the snow rather than digging down to pavement. I also put around 200 pounds of sandbags in the trunk. This allowed me to drive through winter, within reason. If the snow was more tha a few inches deep, I was stuck (the front airdam of an IROC-Z is a poor snowplow). I do drive my '99 TA all year, but not when there is snow/slush/ice or salt on the road. I did get caught in 1 surprise snowfall last year, and it was NOT fun driving the TA at all. It had 16" all seasons on it, that were almost brand new and I still had no traction (A4 with Traction Control) . Also, I'm a Captain on my local Fire Department, so I do have some experience in driving in snow. Try the 15" narrow tire route rather than 16" wide tire if you have to drive in snow.

John
Old 10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John inNH
My .02 cents. First of all, I've been driving in New England since 1979. mostly in rear wheel drive V8's. I've had to drive my last 3 F-body's year round. (I currently have a Chevy Silverado Z-71 for winter use.) On my '86 and '88 IROC-Z's I used to do the following. Take off the 16" rims/tires and replace with 15" rims with all seasons up front and studded snows in the rear. I believe they were 215-70-15"s. The problem with traction is not the diameter, but the width. With a wider tire, the car "floats" on top of the snow rather than digging down to pavement. I also put around 200 pounds of sandbags in the trunk. This allowed me to drive through winter, within reason. If the snow was more tha a few inches deep, I was stuck (the front airdam of an IROC-Z is a poor snowplow). I do drive my '99 TA all year, but not when there is snow/slush/ice or salt on the road. I did get caught in 1 surprise snowfall last year, and it was NOT fun driving the TA at all. It had 16" all seasons on it, that were almost brand new and I still had no traction (A4 with Traction Control) . Also, I'm a Captain on my local Fire Department, so I do have some experience in driving in snow. Try the 15" narrow tire route rather than 16" wide tire if you have to drive in snow.

John
Thanks for the tips. I had planned on going with 225/55/16's, probably Dunlops Glaspics (sp?) or Blizzaks. I've done the whole wide tire (and summer tire) thing in plenty of winters, and I'm not planning on even bothering with the T/A. I just thought it was funny that he had no interest at all in trying to sell me a set of tires and just told me to forget it.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Teching In

hahahaha
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

the guy is just jealous that you have a TA for a beater.... i know i am haha
Old 10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...54#post4616554
Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that guy at the store knows what he talking about!!!!!!!!

Sorry... T/A is the WRONG car for SNOW!!!!!!!!!

Even a 2WD truck isn't much better.

But if you must.... try getting some tire of the right size and have them studed!!!!

Best bet is a FWD car or 4WD!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Started looking for Snow tires...funny story (long)