Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help with radio going on and off, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with radio going on and off, etc.

The radio will go off and on from time to time and when that happens, my window will not roll up or down. My antenna motor is not working, the motor runs but the mast is stationary. I know that the radio will stay on when I take the key out and goes off when I open the door like it is supposed to do. My radio is aftermarket. The new one is doing it. The old one was doing it also. It is wired correctly. Nothing is loose. It does not happen all of the time. It does not make a difference if the tempature is hot or cold outside. Sometimes it does it over and over and over and drives me nuts!Anyone got any idea's?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sounds weird, maybe a relay or a short somewhere in the harness, under the dash is the only place I can think of where the radio wires and the power window wires would get close to eachother.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine does that, not the window, but it does go off and on and right now the only sound i get is from my subs, amp isnt on or any other speaker, nothing is loose. *but* when i pinch my big blue wire, it comes back on, my wire is bad, needs replacement, not a big deal. good luck. wires are a bitch.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds like one of your wires is loose or you ground is not grounded good enough. Maybe one of you other wires have rubbed through and toughing metal from time to time.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louisiana LS1TA
The radio will go off and on from time to time and when that happens, my window will not roll up or down. My antenna motor is not working, the motor runs but the mast is stationary. I know that the radio will stay on when I take the key out and goes off when I open the door like it is supposed to do. My radio is aftermarket. The new one is doing it. The old one was doing it also. It is wired correctly. Nothing is loose. It does not happen all of the time. It does not make a difference if the tempature is hot or cold outside. Sometimes it does it over and over and over and drives me nuts!Anyone got any idea's?
The same exact thing has been happening to my car. I hasn't done it in a while. During the summer it did it often. I haven't had it happen in about a month and even before that it was about a month or two that since it was doing that more regularly. I would think it's probably a loose wire or it is shorting out somewhere.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

this happens on my stock radio every once and a while. it stops playing and i have to move the volume for it to come back on.