Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 WS6 decision help

Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2002 WS6 decision help

Hey ya'll new guy here.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Firebird WS6 Trans Am specs as follows:

All original factory car

15,000 miles

White with Black Interior Monsoon audio

Auto w/ 3.73 rear gear (I am pretty sure if that could come factory)

LS1 w/ WS6 package - T-Tops

WS6 optional wheels

Factory Tuned Exhaust

No Traction Control

Books still in gm plastic bags, Keys, Window Sticker

1 New Pontiac Dealership owner car.

Never seen rain until the day it had to sadly sit on the lot (owner now has c6) only seat used was the drivers seat, rarely the passenger side (divorced elderly man) Car was never beet on, original tires, only ever washed iindoors, detailed using GM products etc.

This car is cherry. I was just wondering what the value or asking price might be? It’s a friend of mines car, and I want to offer something worthy of what the car is. I also might buy this car just for the summer and sell this car. I don't really have room for it right now in my life, but I do love the car and have wanted it for a while driving it more often I'm sure will change my mind.

Suggestions on what I should do? Or where the price should be? Also how "rare" is this car? I was told pretty rare. I once asked what I could buy the car for and he told me $26,000 but I haven't asked in about a year. I know F-body prices have leveled out or gone up in some cases. The car was proposed to me to buy (private deal) I have told people about the car in the past but the owner didn’t care to sell to them. So if I buy to sell this car, its going to be the first time the general public has a crack at it.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NADA shows $18,225-$20,900 for private sale, also Auto's came w/323 ratio, 6spd w/342's
Your note about selling it later may be good as winter is not a good time to sell a sports car...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
On the tree

What he said on the gears, they did not offer factory option 3.73's in the LS1 cars.

The WS6 cars are not per say rare, I mean they only made like 15,000 or so WS6 cars, now if you were talking about a Formula then you odds of getting a less amount of productions cars then yes they might be rarer. They only made around 2,xxx or so Formulas a year.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id say it worth about 19K,
Old 04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Feelgood
Hey ya'll new guy here.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Firebird WS6 Trans Am specs as follows:

All original factory car

15,000 miles

White with Black Interior Monsoon audio

Auto w/ 3.73 rear gear (I am pretty sure if that could come factory)

LS1 w/ WS6 package - T-Tops

WS6 optional wheels

Factory Tuned Exhaust

No Traction Control

Books still in gm plastic bags, Keys, Window Sticker
lol be careful driving that thing in the rain without a traction control buddy
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Default Purchase for a WS.6

Truly for a purchase price on a vehicle like this, the dealer should own that car for no more then $16,000. That's clean book in Dealer Black. In that kind of condition, and with that kind of miles, it's worth about $17,500 - $18,000.

It'll provide you with a lot of fun and a good ride, so if you can get it for that kind of a range, be happy. It's hard to find those kinds of vehicles that aren't tortured.

And as said before, watch the rain. Without Traction Control, you'll lose the back end very quickly, very easily.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

My car doesn't have traction control and i find it not hazerdous at all in the rain, not having traction control doesn't affect me in the rain.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
On the tree

Do we have a bunch of old farts driving these cars or what?

"You will lose the back very easily without traction control???"

I have owned 3 F-bodys and have never lost the back end during rain unless I wanted to lose it. My Formula has never had a issue in rain or snow unless I pushed the issue and I dont have traction control.

If you cant drive a modern rear wheel drive V8 power car that has 300rwhp without traction control maybe you should look into a fwd 4 cylinder car.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Same here , Ive never used the traction control and havent had a problem in rain or snow.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a fairly low-optioned car. T-tops, leather interior, and monsoon stereo were standard in Trans Ams that year. 3.73 gears are definitely aftermarket. WS6s aren't "rare" at all, in fact I think they made more of them than normal TAs, especially in 01 and 02. $26k is way too much for it though. That car probably stickered for about $30-31k brand new 5 years ago. Yeah, the mileage is low, but you could get a Firehawk with similar mileage for $26k or less.

And yes, you could have trouble in the rain with 3.73 gears and an auto without TC. Nothing that wouldn't be controllable of course, but it could be a nuisance if you live somewhere with a lot of rain. Even the slightest throttle input could cause the tires to break loose, especially in a turn while accelerating from a stop.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
What he said on the gears, they did not offer factory option 3.73's in the LS1 cars.

The WS6 cars are not per say rare, I mean they only made like 15,000 or so WS6 cars, now if you were talking about a Formula then you odds of getting a less amount of productions cars then yes they might be rarer. They only made around 2,xxx or so Formulas a year.

901 Formulas made in 2002 BTW.

I don't have traction control and have 4.11's and I have driven in snow several times. The car is probably going to sell for 16-18K.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys.

It has the factory rear gear that was higher than stock. I haven't looked at the car since I posted. 3.43's maybe ? Its on the factory window sticker. I think I'm going to pass on it. It appeals to me, but so do some other cars.

For example a 01-04 Z06 05-06 GTO or 02 6 spd fire hawk vert dark blue/tan that I passed up last year at this time and I’m now kicking my self for it.

The car was said to be rare because it was U10 white ws6 with black interior and no traction control in an auto car. I forget what the numbers were but It looked like it was one out of 500 or less with the paint alone. I'm not sure if the car has been registered ever, that may be the other reason as id be chalked up as the "1st owner"

No traction control and rain wouldn't bother me. It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last. and 1/2 the time I turn it off just to get a little silly after a rough day at work... rain or shine.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

sounds like a good car, not worth the 26gs though. I bought my SOM WS6 over a year ago for right around 20grand

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 decision help