Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Want new, brighter T/A fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want new, brighter T/A fog lights

My stock T/A fog light's are beginning to dim. My question is for those with brighter fog lights....what lights/watts are you running on your trans am's. In some pictures I've seen it looks as if some folks have switched to lights that are brighter than stock or hyperwhite. Where can I get some and which will not melt my front facia? I've not tried to take the stock ones out yet...do they just screw out or do you have to go under the facia to get them out? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I went to discount and got there Halo fog lights. There like 60 bucks and are bright! I mounted mine in the stock holders. They have a led color ring but I left those disconnected.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

PIAA 510 driving lights A little pricey, but worth every penny

Bob s.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my fog lights and the difference is amazing, I can almost drive around at night with just the fogs on.

they are like 15 bucks for each bulb, but they are a crisp white color, with a light blue tint, looks pretty sweet, makes my headlights look really crappy and yellow
Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you goto the parts store, and look at their selection, you'll notice that most of them are alike. Some of them are higher watt (look close at the bulb stamp, or even the box). Some of the higher watt just have a minor plug difference. Like the little plastic piece jutting down that needs to line up with yours, just cut it out with a utility knife and plug it in Works fine heh. I did that on an older Chev Suburban with the large quad headlights (1986). Put highs in both
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha nice mod Formula350,
no cops ever bugged you about that?

if im not mistaken the stock foglight in the T/A's for both LT1 and LS1 styles is the 880, I believe lots more companies are making the brighter and clearer bulbs, you might want to swap out the bulbs for a brighter or maybe a Xenon gas filled bulb before you spend alot of money on some aftermarket fog lights
Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 AM
TECH Regular

im also running the silverstars, and they are awesome. altho a major PITA to change out without taking the front fascia off. if your really serious about changing them, check out LEDgauges.com. they have some sick HID's for hella good prices. thats what im gonna do.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Question for you guys. My factory fogs are not very bright at all. They were this way when I bought the car new back in 2002. If I turn the head lights off at night I can just barely tell that the fogs are on? Is this normal? I never thought much of. There is a small piece that sits just above the bulb that looks like it is blocking alot of the light, does your light have this small piece? Thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds about normal.

hey kevano what all do you have to do to change out the fog bulbs?

on my LT1 I just pop out those plastic rivets holding the air ducting for the radiator out and this flap that is a part of the very end of the front fascia can be pulled down enough for me to unbolt the fog lights and its pretty simple
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
haha nice mod Formula350,
no cops ever bugged you about that?
Heh nope. And to top it off, since my truck had Chameleon flames (full spectrum, not the cheap 3 color) on it, I decided to paint the headlights purple (the main chameleon color) using Dupli Color's Metalcast. It's a clearish paint that basically tints whatever you paint, that color. So my headlights still were nice and bright, but a purple tint lol Yea, it seems gay, but on the truck, it looked cool. I did figure a cop would pull me over at any minute, so I kept some rags and carb cleaner in the truck with me at ALL times just in case, so I'd run out and just remove the paint

As far as the mod for other lights, yea it's so simple. My friend's fogs were all 55w, and the 100w just had an offset plastic line. So I cut it away and he tried it, voile The benefits of working at a parts store for 2-1/2 years lol When its slow, you tinker, and learn quite a bit of random things.

The Silver Stars, as Iron uses, are quite good for their price. I believe Silvania has came out with even better ones not, but not sure if they're just for headlights or not. I remember when Silver Stars came out, I had a 90 Suburban and was so mad they never made them in the quad-side by side style Anyways I'm rambling, don't mean to
Old 04-07-2007, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Can you run 55 watters off the stock wiring ?? I thought the factory fogs were like 30 watts ? Or do you have to run new wiring and switch ?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:24 AM
TECH Regular

sounds about normal.

hey kevano what all do you have to do to change out the fog bulbs?

on my LT1 I just pop out those plastic rivets holding the air ducting for the radiator out and this flap that is a part of the very end of the front fascia can be pulled down enough for me to unbolt the fog lights and its pretty simple
pretty much ive just been squeezing my arm down in between from the top and just doing it one handed. it chews my arm up, but it only takes like 5 minutes. ill check for that piece underneath next time. seems like last time I checked the whole bumper needed to be removed.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 AM
11 Second Club

I put the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my fog lights and the difference is amazing, I can almost drive around at night with just the fogs on.

they are like 15 bucks for each bulb, but they are a crisp white color, with a light blue tint, looks pretty sweet, makes my headlights look really crappy and yellow
I just swapped out all my headlights with the silver stars and I love them. I think I'm going to try the foglights too.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oohtwo WS6
Can you run 55 watters off the stock wiring ?? I thought the factory fogs were like 30 watts ? Or do you have to run new wiring and switch ?

I'm no electrician but I think it'd be fine for 55w. Going to 100 I'd probably rewire them then. Just to be safe.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are there Silver Star bulbs that are a plug and play fit for the stock fog lights?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The stock fog light bulbs for the 1998-2002 Firebird are 880.

880,881,893,894 all plug into the same housing.

The only difference is:
880 --- 27.5 Watt, straight connector
881 --- 27.5 Watt, right-angle connector
893 --- 35 Watt, straight connector
894 --- 35 Watt, right-angle connector

You can replace the 880 with a 893 which will be brighter, but it will be hotter and you risk melting the plastic fog light housing. I know from experience. The stock housings also leak and blow bulbs too often to bother with expensive bulbs. Therefore, I replaced my housings with aftermarket units (which use H3 bulbs). Here is my writeup: www.fadingarrow.com/foglights.htm They have been installed since at least the beginning of the year without any issues. The lens is completely clear. The bulb is tinted blue. I don't much care for tinted bulbs but thats what they came with and I'll leave them until they blow. I didn't connect the LED rings.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-04-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I bought HIDs from a member on here 6K 880 bulbs that are plug and play. Are they bright yeah, brighter than the other bulbs for our fog lights. But they aren't that amazing that i would drive down a pitch black street and rely soley on these. Check them out:

-Joel
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I bought some Hella performance Xenon fog light bulbs. They look nice and are Very bright. Here are a couple pics with just my fog lights on.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too just put new fog light bulbs in mine and do pretty much drive around at night with just the fogs on. I dont know if they are silverstars, they were what autozone had for $9.xx apiece

Quick Reply: Want new, brighter T/A fog lights