Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Advice needed for my 97 trans am exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for my 97 trans am exhaust

I need to know what kind of mods to do to my car to make it sound really nice. I've asked random people about it and they say flowmaster but I don't think its loud enough! I've heard of something called longtubes too, whatever that is.. (I'm a girl and hardly understand cars) What kind of mods can I put on my car to make it sound awesome?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

The Flowmaster replacement mufflers pretty much suck. They are actually worse than the stock mufflers. Longubes are headers, which are tubular exhast manifolds that replace your restrictive stock exhaust manifolds. Do a search for True Duals if you want to have an awesome sound. My personal favorite is long tube headers, no catalytic converters, and true duals with one chamber Flowmaster race mufflers. These cars have single exhaust which is pretty restrictive.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE My exhaust sound. Stock exhaust manifolds, into stock cat, into a SLP Loudmouth out to stock tips. Nice throaty sound, no rasp, and when you let off in, say second, and you're doing 40 it has the throaty gargle that means business

Everyone likes their own sound though, so it's reaaaaaaalllly hard to just ask "What sounds good?". Some people like raspy, some like deep throaty sounds, some like how Flowies sound no matter if they are restrictive or not. You kind of just need to explain what style sound you want, and then have people explain what kind of sound their setup produces. As I said, mines deep throaty muscle sound with a let-off gargle, I love it. I had a flowie on my 91 and it sounded sweet, but TPI gives a different tone so I can't say how good it is for a LT1 :\
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula350
some like how Flowies sound no matter if they are restrictive or not.
Basically just the 80-series factory replacement muffler is restrictive. The other 2-chamber and single chambers aren't very restrictive at all and still give you the good Flowmaster sound
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

LT1s usually have a little more deeper sound, I think the iron block has something to do with it.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out www.ls1sounds.com

You can compare various exhaust systems and mods to see what kind of sound you like.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

You might want to check into Magnaflow Catback system. If you want louder than Flowmaster. Which will replace all your old exhaust from your catylitic coverter back to your Exhaust tips.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have FLP long tubes and a Flowmaster catback, the catback sounds good, but doesnt flow with the other brands, IMO dont buy borla it sounds like crap with more mods. Go GMMG!

oh and referring to an earlier post, an Iron block isnt what changes it, the LT1 has a different firing order than the LS1, LT1 has Siamese exhaust ports while LS1 has exhaust ports spaced similar to the SBF and BBC, et cetera there are a few other things but I am tired and cant think
Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, first off let me say... no exhaust system is done justice till a nice cam shaft is put into play to get that lumpy sound.... but i dont have that option yet... right now im running mac mid-length headers... no cats.. into a loudmouth 2 catback... and its really loud... but raspy... im trying to get rid of that raspyness... so i odered a GMMG catback and ill try to remember to post up for you when i install it... borla sounds god on LS1's but not as good on lt1's and corsa sounds better on lt1's than ls1's.... go to that website ls1sounds.com and check some out...

Quick Reply: Advice needed for my 97 trans am exhaust