Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 Firebird Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Firebird Modifications

I Drive a 1998 Firebird.. Dark Blue.. V6 Automatic.. I've had the car a little over a month now and I have yet to be disappointed ( considering a pontiac firebird was/still is my dream car).. So Far I've invested $200 in rear tires.. $30 for a chrome tip on my exhaust.. and $22 on misc interior things.. I havent got around to doing any major work as of yet.. That is, untill here in the next couple of weeks.

My Father recently sold is truck, and ot my surprise, part of the deal consisted of my dad lowering the price of the truck a couple hundred dollars, in exchange.. The guy has a functioning Ram Air Hood for a 98-02 Firebird.. That he is even going to paint, clear coat, and install on my car.. He had recently bought a Trans Am for a parts car that was wrecked in the back end.. He put the LT1 down in his Firebird and replaced his cloth interior with leather.. His car already had a functioning ram air hood when he bought it so.. I guess the right guy came along at the right time..

He's coming over on Tuesday to pick up the truck, get my color code, and ask me what I want exactly.. So here is what I have in mind.. I have always loved the classic screaming chicken decal. Even today when yourdriving around, wether it be in town or on the highway.. If you see a car with the Bird on the hood, you have a certain sense of respect for it. Now I know the classic Bird isn't going to exactly look good across a new model Firebird, so I have already found an updated and modernized verson. If I can I will try to post pics. The wings spread out the width of the hood, with the head of the bird between the ram air.. As for color.. I think Metalic Flake Silver would do it justice..

Not to get carried away, I already asked the guy, and he said it should be fine.. He's been a professional painter for years and I've actually seen some of his work.. It's quite impressive and I trust him to do a good job..

On another note.. Having the bird on my hood may give a sense of interest and respect.. But the screaming chicken decal appeared on the 6.6L Trans Am.. My car having a somewhat less impressive but still powerful 3.8L.. It's like those people who have an amazing looking car that looks mean and aggresive.. but just doesnt back it up. So I have found an LT1 that this guy is willing to sell, with the 5 spd transmission and wiring.. all for $1000. I asked around and found out this is actually a good price. The engine is coming out of a 97 Trans Am that was t-boned in a car accident.. I havent got back to the guy yet.. But I'm considering buying it.. The complication is having to convert my automatic to a 5 spd manual. Not really as complicated as frustrating..

Also I'm looking into getting true duel exhaust for my car. I was reconmended Flowmasters Super 40's or something like that.. any suggestions on other parts or modifications I should look into is appreciated. Feedback is appreciated as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

If you're looking to mod your V6, go to www.fullthrottlev6.com

Originally Posted by Legato
So I have found an LT1 that this guy is willing to sell, with the 5 spd transmission and wiring.. all for $1000...The engine is coming out of a 97 Trans Am that was t-boned in a car accident
No '97 TA came with a 5-speed
Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
If you're looking to mod your V6, go to www.fullthrottlev6.com

No '97 TA came with a 5-speed

Really?.. Well I know the LT1 is out of a 97 TA, and that the Transmission is 5spd.. stock or .. lol.. obviously not.. But I will ask about it now you've brought that to my attention.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Legato
Really?.. Well I know the LT1 is out of a 97 TA, and that the Transmission is 5spd.. stock or .. lol.. obviously not.. But I will ask about it now you've brought that to my attention.
If its stock it will be a t56 6 speed.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you put an lt1 into your car? here the engine has to be the same year or newer as your car to put it in. Anyway, an lt1 is better than a 3.8, but an ls1 is worth the wait if you can wait. Most people with screaming chickens on their car get flamed so if your going to do it, make sure its tasteful. Flowmaster is a cheap exhast and most people agree its too raspy so if you want true duals get bassani or a custom borla set up or something other than flowmaster cuase i havent heard too many poeple who end up happy with their flowmasters. If you res and do searches and check on youtube and stuff youll find examples of all kinds of different things people do to their cars and you can really get an idea of what you like. A great part for your car is the wings west body kit, and of course some nice rims and lower it. A v-8 conversion is an awesome project that many v-6 owners never get to accomplish so go for it!!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 530transam
A v-8 conversion is an awesome project that many v-6 owners never get to accomplish so go for it!!
most v6 owners don't go that route because the amount of money spent is more than buying a mid-mileage LS1-equipped car....the exception being if you can find an LS1 motor for practically free.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Not to be disrespectful to 530TRANSAM, but please don't buy the wings west body kit. It's an American car. Keep it looking American and not Japanese. As for the rims and lowering kit, go for it. Just remember it's a sports car so don't make the rims to big, you'll save yourself from getting laughed at.