Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I just bought a 1968 Firebird, help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a 1968 Firebird, help please

Hi everyone. I just bought a 1968 Firebird 350 coupe. The car is Verdoro green with white vinal top and interior. It has power steering and power drum brakes, floor shift auto, bucket seats, console, and clock. The body is rust free, and underneath is SUPER clean and rust free...a real solid unrestored car, except for new top and paint in 1989. The car seemed to have more power than a 350 should, so I looked on the block on passenger side under head and the VIN didn't match. It has a 0016827 with a YR under it. I could not find the GM number.I looked on the web, and it seems to be a 389 tri-power auto trans engine. Could this be? Does this sound correct? The engine runs great and has a Holley 600 carb with a 9790140 intake, looks stock looking except for carb. The car is not a show car, but a great driver, rust free, with some chips here and there. Brakes will need some work, and possibly rear end bearings. The interior is all factory and is good as is, but I would redo in the future sometime. What would a car like this be worth? I paid $6400 for it. I figured that was a good deal cause of the rust free part...I didn't even check the engine numbers till I got it home. My question is: is $6400 a good deal, and is that a 389 tri-power engine? Please help, I'm not very familiar with Firebirds, thanks, Troy Olien

Last edited by Firebuzzard; 06-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not the block number. The 2 letter code is unreliable as it was re-used for different size engines throughout the years.

The vin stamp on the block is located on the block on the passenger side of the timing chain cover. You will need some sandpaper to remove any dirt and grime and it helps to have a flashlight.

An old trick was to use a pencil and a piece of paper on the stamp if it is difficult to see with the naked eye. Compare those numbers with the last 6 or 7 of the cars vin number to see if it matches.
Good luck.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$6400 for a clean rust free first generation F-body is a steal these days. consider your self fortunate wether or not it has a 350 or 389. as far as the tranny...what 30th said above is a rule to follow. as BOP or (buik,olds,pontiacs) all shared the same version of the TH350 and TH400. that tranny may be an olds tranny from a different year with the same code signifying something else(like 350 2bbl olds 1971). get all the numbers you can find and look up where the true numbers are supposed to be on the pontiac motors and trannys. my buddy bought a 1971 442 w/445 and TH400. the tranny in the car was a 1970 gto tranny while the original to the car was in the trunk. take your time and research it. its fun and rewarding ..like a treasure hunt of automobile history.but mostly...be happy. you have a great car and have fun with it. and post some pics!...wed all like to see it.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good deal to me. If the car is rust-free, I'd snag it! Sounds like a great starting point, and a good candidate whether you want to restore, modify or a little of both! Get an assembly manual and a few Pontiac informations books from any of close to 2 dozen Firebird parts places and read up.

Derek