Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cosmetic vs. Performance

Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cosmetic vs. Performance

Alright, this is my current situation.. I am a proud owner of a 98 Pontiac Firebird, V6 automatic.. Dark Blue in color.. 150k miles.. I purchased thi car roughly 4 months ago, as the Firebird has andwill always be my dream car of choice.. And much like any Auto-enthusiast.. There will always be things that I will want to do, to modify my ride to reflect my personal sense of determination and pride in my vehicle.

My complication is deciding where to begin. I work a decent paying job, a little over minimum wage.. which is good enough considering I'm a senior in high school and though I rely on my own independence.. Manage just fine with extra on the side..

I managed to make a listof ideas of what all I might want to do, to make my car a little more unique.. Of such includes a LT1 engine swap, new paint (same color with metallic flake or metallic black), install a functioning Ram Air Hood and get a custom bird decal painted on it, purchase a 1000w amp and 2 subwoofers to mount in my trunk, a set of black 5 spoke rims, tinted windows, XM or Sirius radio, GPS, True Dual exhaust *single currently*.. possibly Flowmaster Super 40's, maybe install a performance chip, ect.. to name a few..

Lol, that's wuite a list, and I know it's not going to happen overnight.. But I rather enjoy watching my car come together piece by piece.. The reason I am posting this, is to ask you all, what would you rconmend doing first, second, and so forth..

I also want to add that my Alternator has been giving me a couple of problems lately.. In 2 weeks or so I'll be able to buy my LT1 engine swap.. so should I just rough it out, or go ahead and buy an Alternator now and delay my LT1 for an extra week.. All suggestions are appreciated..
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much are u paying for the lt1? you would have to change the tranny, possably the rear dont knolw, the drive shaft, and a get a new pcm you might as well buy a 98 ls1 or buy a lt1 car if ur going to do that. but if your set on that y not buy a used ls1 and tranny? you can pick a set up for around $2000-$2500
Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swaps are great, but sadly getting just as expensive as buying a WORKING car that is flawless. Like my 93 with 93K cost me $3800, and it's a Formula LT1 with a shitload of options. If you have the 3.8L, I'd turbo it

Also, "All Show and No Go" is what Ricers do. Don't stoop to their level. A paint job isn't quite there yet, since everyone wants nice paint.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Well for the LT1 and Transmission, I have found one that will fit my car for $1000 complete with everything.. less than 100k miles.. Buying a new car isnt really an option as I have only one vehicle, and.. what can I say.. It's grown on me.. I really want the new paint and the functioning ram air hood to set it off.. and the custom bird on the hood.. The hood would not only make my car look better, but the ram air would add to the performance..

When, and if I go through with that transaction.. I'll be converting my automatic to a 6 speed.. Which I heard is a pain, but with my family history of mechanics and automotive enthusiast.. It shouldnt be any problem, and a good learning experience.. I plan on doing msot of the work myself, with the guidance of friends and experienced family members.. Some mentioned to me though tat I might have to change the rear end.. and if so.. how much is that going to out me?..

How much would it cost to turbo my 3.8 and how much wouldthat be adding to my performance..? Which engine should I be considering, the LT1 or the LS1, and which do you prefer and why?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ls1 and tranny for 2000 with around 40,000 miles on it and you wont have to with the opti on the lt1 trust me i have a 94 z28 and a 2001 ws6 and the ls1's are hell of a lot better and easier to work on. and swapping the auto for a 6 speed is vary easy. and what do you plan on doing with the car 1/4 miles or road course? if your spending more time at the 1/4 stay with the auto and get a high stall converter. by the time you put all your money in to swaping the motor along with the rear, trany, motor, computer with rewiring, and drive shaft close to $6,000 in parts alone. or you can put that in to a turbo, cam, and ported heads for that price if you do the work your self

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 07-07-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure he just wants them to have the performance. Thats why I got a LT1, not because I wanted to 1/4 or road course race it.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know but by letting people know what he is thinkiong about road course more for street racing around corners or 1/4 mile more for straight line roads or highways. since this forum dosnt condone street racing im and in know way saying that this is what were doing just trying to see what type of driving will be going on. as everyone knows stick is better for corners and autos with a high stall is better for straights
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM

I want to build my car simply because I can.. But I'll definately run it on the 1/4 just for fun, but not strictly for that purpose.. I take pride in building my car, and you get a sense of respect when going out for a cruise.. I do not support street racing, but hypothetically.. my firebird eats mustangs on a semi-daily basis.. The 3.8 is a very solid motor, but growing up on stories of my father's Chevelle and my uncle J.R's Charger, and my Uncle Lowell's Roadrunner.. A V8 is and will always be a V8.. the only way I can explain it..

So by what I've heard so far, I should focus mainly on performance first.. and wait till later to get the hood, paint, rims, and ect..? More than likely I'll go ahead and get the hood and wait on the paint.. Make sure my car can perform as good as it's going to look..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

just wondering how long do you plan on having this finish if its with in a year just sell yours a nd buy a formula or regular t/a for cheaper and build that.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on you selling the car and getting a V8 model. Cause it will save yourself alot more headaches down the road as you upgrade othere areas.
But the Turbo or Supercharger Idea is a solid one. I've heard of cars making great power with this setup on the 3.8. Might be something for you to look into.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

POWER before looks, ALWAYS! IMO, of course.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

performance
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

performance b4 looks, imo, is the same argument as fuel injection or carb. youll always have people arguing over it, i was lucky to get my car with all mods, except the 3:73 gears, so all was left was the decals. id go performance first and then appearance, and work your way from the rear to the front.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Like in the commercials, you should just smack yourself and say "Wow, I could have had a V-8". And I am speaking as a guy who had two beautiful V-6 Birds and loved both of them, but forgot them when I stepped on the pedal of the WS6. Start looking, someone else out there will love your V-6 and you will save a lot of time, money and frustration. It's not the advice you want, but it's the advice I have.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't waste you time. Save some dough, sell you car, and buy an lsi powered f-body. It sounds like a hard decision but it will be your best. You can always work on it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to be flashy and slow....but a honda
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

why would you swap an lt1 into a 98?

not a lot of sense in that.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Only time an engine swap makes sense is if one is blown and you are replacing it w/ a nearly identical engine, or if you are swapping in something that was NOT available from the factory (SBC in a 280Z for example). Don't waste your time possibly ruining a perfectly fine V6 car and purchase a V8 car and start modding that. And as was said, it REALLY makes no sense putting an LT1 in a '98+ car.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i too dont agree with an lt1 in a 98

Search this Thread