Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate

Hello, I'm new here so go easy on me.

I will soon be the proud owner of a 1996 Firebird Formula. Unfortunately, here in Ca, we have to have two license plates. The car does not currently have any way of mounting a front plate. Does any one here know of a way to mount it or a factory bracket for one?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how legal it is in California, but it's technically legal here in Washington State. I've actually moved it upward slightly so the wiper does not block it.

I bought it from this place.

http://www.gppinc.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the thought, but your not allowed to attach anything to the windshield either. With my luck I'd get two tickets if I did that.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rastoff
Thanks for the thought, but your not allowed to attach anything to the windshield either. With my luck I'd get two tickets if I did that.
Weak, man... that blows. I wouldn't want to put the plate on the front of the car, they look so much better without it.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rastoff
DrEvyl was pulling your leg. There is a frame that fit the front of my '97. Came with the car. Maybe it was a Pontiac thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1997 Trans AM, and I can sympathize with you...The front end of the LT1 style firebird is so clean & simply - it should be a crime to put a front plate on the nose!

But here is NY we also use 2 plates. When I bought my '97 new the dealer installed a front plate that GM supplied, it it designed to mount fairly nicely onto the front bumper.

I did get tired of looking at that front plate, removed the bracket, and the body shop fill in the 3 mounting holes in the bumper & re-painted the nose.

It looked GREAT clean like that. I then mounted the plate in the front window, but like said above that really isnt legal either.

Its a tough call, with the re-designed front the of the LS1 style, there is a place for the plate - i can easily add/remove the plate cover in a few minutes.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

here in Texas the law says something along the lines that the plate must be visible from the front of the vehicle, but if it doesnt have any provisions for the plate, I say drive without it, and when you get a ticket, tell the judge, hey its an older car, doesnt have a place to mount it.

Maybe you will get lucky
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

In CA it's a $100 fine for front plate but 99.9% of our crew dont have one (a couple have been busted) and congrats on your new purchase!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably take my chances with the plate in the window idea. It really will kill the look of the front end if I tag it with a plate.

Who knows, maybe I can come up with something creative.

Here's what the Code says:
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

5201. ...and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground...

It's a little vague. The windshield thing may actually be OK.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

ARE LS1's the only ones that have that plastic thing below the bumper. idk if the lt1's have that piece. i've just seen ppl put them under there...?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by ghardester
DrEvyl was pulling your leg.
I was?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Teching In

I had a 94 Formy. I went to the dealership and got me a frame that was a form fit right under the point on the front.
Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
ARE LS1's the only ones that have that plastic thing below the bumper. idk if the lt1's have that piece. i've just seen ppl put them under there...?
Does this help?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen some LT1's with and without the provisions for the license plate up front, mine originally had it, but an idiot in a excursion hit my parked car in the parking lot of a target and just took off, didnt wait, didnt leave a note, well needless to say it owned my license plate and the little bracket, so I just took it off

but from what you posted, it seems like the windshield would be ok its on the front, its not more than 60" up
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
I'm not sure what you mean by "plastic thing"?

Quick Reply: Front license plate