Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What should I offer for this TA? Or should I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I offer for this TA? Or should I?

Hello all. Just joined the site. I'm a die-hard F-Body fan and a current owner of a 1991 Pontiac Firebird, which I have huge plans for, but as of now I am extremely busy with work and college. I don't have the time to work on this car and drive it and take care of my other **** at the same time, so I have been looking for a 94 or newer Trans Am, M6, to have as my main car so I can put my '91 in for storage.

Anyway, I've started this thread because I have found a 1994 TA not too far from me, and I'm not positive what I should offer the guy for it, or actually I'm not sure if I should just run away. Here is the lowdown on the car.

1994 Pontiac Trans Am
115k, 6-speed
Green exterior, Tan interior
Leather, loaded, NO T-Tops

The interior is in decent condition, it has the common rip in the drivers seat, but other than that the seats are great. Everything works to my knowledge, but the window switch in the dr door is broken. The rear passenger area carpet is stained from what looks to be pop spilled. The headliner is coming down slightly, but is not sagging. The dr side visor is broken off. The interior is not as bad as it sounds, it is overall "good" I would say.

The paint is in good condition, I can tell the front dr side fender has been repainted. The tail lights are good. It has a fairly large dent in the rear quarter panel, looks like he was backed into, or backed into a pole or something. It is right above the wheel, looks like a big softball would fit in there nicely. No signs of rust, underbody looked good. All the panels appeared to line up well. Has the shitty standard silver "salad shooter?" wheels, but does have the TA spoiler.

Engine wise, there were no awkward sounds, ran really smooth and drove really well. All the gears shifted well and I enjoyed driving it, it drove real nice. Has a fairly new Flowmaster exhaust on it.

Here's the scary part. The guy said he bought it with a blown head gasket. It apparently sat for about 5 years before he bought it. He had this fixed, has a lower temp stat on it. Says he had the top end all cleaned out and what not, and a new radiator when it was done. Well after we got back to the house, I let it idle for a minute or two, before shutting it off. The temp was around 210. Next thing we know, it is leaking anti-freeze like crazy, from the radiator cap. It was leaking pretty bad. This sounds like the head gasket was not fixed, or maybe a cracked head? He thought it was just the radiator cap.

So, he is asking $4900 for it, but I told him I wasn't going to give him that for it, he's open to an offer. I think Im going to run away from this one, because I am looking for one I can drive reliably, and not worry about any problems, repairs, or fixing it up. Ive had enough of that with my '91. I'm really looking for a black on black one, preferrably a WS6, but it's hard to find one for a decent price, people think these things are GOLD.

So I just wondered what y'alls take on this is....
Old 09-02-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Keep looking. Your last paragraph tells it all. Nothing but trouble looming and lots of $$$ spent.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Run spend a little more and be happier in the long run with a nice car. LS1s are getting cheaper everyday so get the car you really want like the black ws6. Lt1s are nice but have a little more problems and the price for a good one is not much less than ls1s at this point. I had a 90 formula before this and there is no turning back so you might want to consider selling the 91 depending on how you feel about it especially after driving an LS1. I couldn't tell from your cardomain if the car is a v8 or v6 and I know your car has sentimental value because you've had it since 16 but berealistic since the floor is rusted and really know what you want out of it especially if you get the 6spd 4th gen
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Find an LS1 , they are coming on the market and will be a better long term car
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Im going to run away from this one, because I am looking for one I can drive reliably, and not worry about any problems, repairs, or fixing it up. Ive had enough of that with my '91. I'm really looking for a black on black one, preferrably a WS6, but it's hard to find one for a decent price, people think these things are GOLD.
I think you answered you your own question. From what you said I would run away from it. Keep looking and you'll find the right car.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man i want to get some of the **** that guy is smoking. I have a 160 hypertech in my 96 ws6, and it will bairly get over 180deg, even in gridlock, 100deg weather ( i do have my madz tune to turn fans on early) so something is up there

It sounds to me that you dont work on your own car, so this is a terrible deal, i do paint and body for a living, and if the front fender looks bad, and the quarter looks bad, you would end up painting the whole side of the car, on top of fixing the runnning problems, you would probably be in the 7k range by then, and you can definatly find ls1s for that price if you look