Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 WS6 Question-Noise Drive Shaft-TSB Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
MEB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 WS6 Question-Noise Drive Shaft-TSB Issue

Was referred here by friend: Was driving other night 1/2 way home took foot of gas and car begins making this poppin noise...sounds like under car driver's side...under warranty...took to dealer...OK so I hearwell, it could be a million things...maybe you want to bring it back if you are in a hurry...NOT IN A HURRY...so wait..they come back and tell me the mechanic wants to take me for a ride so they are sure about what I am hearing...ahhhh thewn mechanic just wants me to listen to this really loud clickinc when he hits the gas....OK so when inside (take foot off gas) sounds like popping and outside (while he hits gas) sounds like a deck of cards being shuffled....

OK so they replace all the U Joints and brearings in the drive shaft...GUESS WHAT..Noise still there...so they tell me they are going to replce my DRIVE SHAFT....so finally 5 pm get loaner...and they have to get approval...ahhhhh then GUESS WHAT...the warranty company does NOT approve the replcement of the drive shaft....WHY???? Because the dealership comes up with TSB 99-04-02-0020.....ahhh this noise is INTERNAL TO THE DRIVE SHAFT...and no matter what they do it will always be there!!!!! Imagine that... So multiple calls to dealer and warranty company esp....after dealer has told me that my car has an "upgraded drive shaft already" which was why they did not order it initially when they ordered the U Joints and bearings....

OK car made not a single noise until this Monday...and I can go ahaed and replce the drive shaft...NP...have someone to do that....probably go with Denny's Drive Shaft 1350 chrome molly....have that all picked out....

I am trying to get passed the remark that the noise comes from the drive shaft but ther is nothing mechanically wrong!!!!! Does not sound right!!!!!

So why exactly does my silent vehicle sound like a deck of cards being shuffled...ALL OF A SUDDEN...and can anyone explain e Technical Service Bullitin....that describes Mechanical Noise...but the issue is NOT mechanical....

Most Impt...anyone have this problem...anyone have a FIX....

OH yeah...after I talked to the warranty company...HHHHMMMMM the dealer did not call me to tell me to get my car!!!!!!! So anyone else have this experience.....???????
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise issue IMO might be the Torque Arm Mount, did they check that? Does this sound happen at HW Speeds or City Speeds, does this sound appear between gear change, start and stop etc..?

As far as the dealership runaround, your not the only one and they are Well Known for this with people who have warranties with their vehicles, and most of the time, dealerships tend to blow people off the second your warranty expires!

What I would do, is take your car to a trusted mechanic (preferably someone very familiar with f-bodies and have a history with them) and have them do a full sweep of the undercarriage of the car including the Tranny!

Just my .02

Justin

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 Question-Noise Drive Shaft-TSB Issue