Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 30th Anniversary Formula?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 30th Anniversary Formula?

OK I've posted this just about everywhere except here and this seems to be a mystery to everyone. If anyone can offer any information about this I'd be much obliged. My 1997 Formula has etched into the bumper the verbiage "30th Anniversary". This seems to be something done at the factory and not some lame aftermarket thing. It is actually etched into the bumper and not a sticker, painted on, or a decal. I have run across two other individuals with this emblem on their 1997 Formula as well, one in NJ, one in CA, and I am in FL. I have chatted with the gentleman in NJ and he is just as clueless about this as I. Nowhere have I found any documentation about a 1997 30th Anniversary Firebird. I've attached a snapshot of the logo, sorry about the quality, but you get the idea. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by BrdWAtti2d; 10-30-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Broken Image Link
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you post up more pics of the car? RPO list?

It appears to me to be something done by the aftermarket. The emblems were body color from the factory, and the only Anniversary cars to roll off the assembly line were in celebration of the Trans Am. The font used doesn't mesh well with the factory font used at the time, so I'm leaning heavily towards a low-volume car done by an aftermarket company not associated with Pontiac.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Teching In

This is my full RPO list. The emblem use to be the same color as the bumper, it's just old and the paint has come off. It's on the to-do list. AAA,AH3,AK5,AU0,AU3,A31,CC1,C49,C60,DE4,DG7,DL5,FE 2,FE9,GU5,G80,IPB,J65,KG9,K34,LT1,MX0,M30,NF2,NP5, N60,QFZ,R7N,STE,T78,U63,UK3,U73,VM3,WS9,W55,W66,1S B,1SZ,48U,52B,52I,6HD,7HD,8TH,9TH.

I don't have many pics of the car but here's one. If the three cars that I've run into with this emblem were geographically close I'd agree with the aftermarket thought but they all originated in far corners of the country. Plus the fact that it's molded into the bumper.

Last edited by BrdWAtti2d; 10-30-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Changed IP8 to IPB, old eyes
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never heard anything about a 30th Anniversary 1997 Firebird. I think that it would've made sense if they did a special appearence package for the 1967 Firebird anniversary's, but Pontiac decided to only celebrate the Trans Am for some reason. Maybe it had to do with the Camaro.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks a lot like the Camaro's font.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to worry or wonder anymore. It is not factory.
That was probably done by some dealer to try to pony up some more bucks when he sold it.
Sorry no mystery here.

The End
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
You don't need to worry or wonder anymore. It is not factory.
That was probably done by some dealer to try to pony up some more bucks when he sold it.
Sorry no mystery here.

The End
Do you have any solid information about this or are we just speculating? I find it hard to beleive that a dealer would go to the expense of having custom molded bumper covers made to "pony up a few bucks".
Old 10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

My hard proof is that you don't have any...LOL
Use some common sense.
I been around ponchos a long time and I can tell you there aint no such animal like you are hoping for.

Forget Barret-Jackson, invest in mutual funds.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Proof of what, hoping for what? I'm just asking what the hell this is. It's not put on by a dealer, get real. This is molded into the bumper, there isn't a dealer in the country that's going to spend that kind of money to make what in return?? They wouldn't make thier money back on the cost of the bumper alone, and then they would have to prep it and paint it to match each car they sold.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

You would be surprised at what a dealer or aftermarket tuner might do to a car. There were a lot of cars over the years that got special dealer or aftermarket packages.

Facts are that pontiac never produced a 30th anniversary firebird edition.

It would intrigue me as well, so I can understand your curiousity. But facts are facts dude.

You have a nice car built in 1997 that someone modified. It didn't come from the General like that.

But you can believe whatever you want.

You come here and ask questions and get answers you don't like and get belligerent about it.

If you want to hear that you have one of 3 made and that you are going to retire off the sale of the car, forget it.

So I suggest you come off that cloud that you are floating on and you get real.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Ok well it's sure my great fortune to have run into such a ******* know it all. I've obviously stumbled into a flock of ******** here. If I wanted One of Three made I'd ******* buy one of three. I didn't buy the car to keep in a ******* glass case, I bought it because I like to drive it and I do daily. A corvette is impractical for my purposes. I want to replace the bumper but if there is anything novel about it I'll just have it restored. Sorry for my ignorance to have asked such a ******* stupid question in the presence of such ******* greatness, *******!!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BrdWAtti2d
I didn't buy the car to keep in a ******* glass case, I bought it because I like to drive it and I do daily.
Sounds to me that authenticity isn't that huge of an issue with you, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You asked for advice. You got advice. It was your own choice to turn it into an arguement. If you really want to be shot down, then contact Pontiac Historical Services (www.phs-online.com). Since none of us are experts in your opinion, maybe paying for the same answer will satisfy you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 30th Anniversary Formula?