Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default NBC's Son of Knight Rider [updated 11/25/07]

http://tv.yahoo.com/knight-rider/sho...0ed8__ER:70016

By Josh Grossberg Today at 4:41 am

It looks like KITT has himself a new partner.

NBC has tapped soap star Justin Bruening to front a new Knight Rider TV movie that could serve as a pilot to a revived series based on the '80s action-adventure about a crimefighter and his talking Trans Am.

Per the Hollywood Reporter, the 28-year-old actor will play the son of Michael Knight, the original series' hero played by David Hasselhoff

The 1982-86 Knight Rider chronicled how an undercover cop named Michael Long was gunned down on the job and then given a new face and new identity by a secret, extra-governmental Foundation for Law and Government . Rechristened Michael Knight, after the dying billionaire behind FLAG, he is dispatched to fight baddies with his chatty sports car, KITT.

The souped-up, artificially intelligent Knight Industries Two Thousand features an arsenal that would make James Bond jealous: fire- and bulletproof frame, turbo engine with super-pursuit mode, spiked tires, radar and, presumably, a killer hi-fi.

This time out, the younger Knight's ride will feature even more aftermarket mods, perhaps even morphing into a Transformers-like bot. The make and model of the new vehicle hasn't been announced, though; NBC is seeking an auto maker to partner with for the retooled KITT.

Like Hasselhoff, who starred in The Young and the Restless before hitting it big in Knight Rider, NBC found its newest action hero in daytime TV. A model turned actor from Nebraska, Bruening spent four seasons on All My Children and had a brief run on One Life to Live; he has also guest-starred on Cold Case and Hope & Faith.

And, perhaps not so coincidentally, Bruening will be getting his first crack at a prime-time vehicle at the same age as Hasselhoff when the original Knight Rider launched.

The TV movie is being produced by Bourne Identity director Doug Liman. Liman may also direct the pilot if he can fit it into his schedule. NBC is shooting the telepic as a so-called backdoor pilot, meaning if the ratings are solid, it could become a series.

This isn't the first attempt to reboot the Knight Rider franchise.

Hasselhoff reprised his role for the 1991 TV movie Knight Rider 2000, but didn't return for two other follow-ups, 1994's Knight Rider 2010 and 1997's Team Knight Rider. His later attempts to rev up a Knight Rider movie wound up stalling in development.

NBC has not signaled whether the Hoff will make a cameo in the new TV movie. He is still in the Peacock stable, hosting America's Got Talent. He's also prepping Tales from the Hoff, a Ryan Seacrest-produced scripted series for E! that will follow his fictionalized escapades à la Curb Your Enthusiasm

Copyright © 2006 E! Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

New Knight Rider Gets Hoffed
By Josh Grossberg Tue Nov 20, 1:47 PM PST

The Hoff is ready to roll.

David Hasselhoff is in talks to reprise his role as Michael Knight in a TV movie sequel to his breakout 1980s hit series, Knight Rider, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

NBC is hoping the TV movie will reboot the franchise and launch a new series. This time out, however, Hasselhoff will cede the KITT-driving to Justin Bruening, who will play Michael Knight's son.

Per the Reporter, the so-called "backdoor pilot" will find Junior holed up in Vegas, where he's in big trouble for unpaid gambling debts and is bitter about his unrequited love for childhood best friend Sarah Kamen.

His luck changes, however, when Sarah (The Young & the Restless actress Deanna Russo), turns up and offers him a way out of his mess.

Little does the younger Knight know that Sarah is the daughter of KITT inventor Charles Kamen, who has gone missing. It's up to Knight to rescue him.

No word yet exactly how big a part the Hoff will have this time around or whether he'll be a regular should a new series get greenlighted.

Producers are also tight-lipped about what kind of vehicle the new KITT will be. The original talking Trans Am was known as Knight Industries Two Thousand. For the new version, the car will be updated to the Knight Industries Three Thousand. Early reports suggested the vehicle would have Transformers-like abilities and indicated producers were still seeking an auto manufacture to partner with.

The Knight Rider telepic is being produced by filmmaker Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity), who may direct the pilot if he can squeeze it into his schedule.

Hasselhoff's last ride with KITT was in the 1991 telepic Knight Rider 2000, and over the years he's made no secret about his desire to rev up a big-screen version. But with the feature film Knight Rider stalled in development, NBC decided to proceed with a new TV incarnaiton.

Meanwhile, Hasselhoff is currently gearing up to star in Tales from the Hoff, a Ryan Seacrest-produced scripted series for E! that will follow his fictionalized escapades, à la Curb Your Enthusiasm. (E! Online is a division of E! Networks.) He's also got a steady gig as a judge on the Peacock's hit reality contest America's Got Talent.

Copyright © 2007 E! Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by y2k_ta; 11-25-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Pic of the car?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car hasn't been decided on yet. How about this KITT as a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry! lol

J/K

I'm not sure what kind of car they'd use if they go with a new car becauser there are no Trans Am's and nothing looks remotely close. Though a nice step for GM might be to use this to show the 09 Camaro, make the car Black and very bad *** looking. Shouldn't be too difficult. Hey they put the 09 Camaro in Transformers. Or better yet GM could shock the world with showing off a concept 2010 Trans Am in this movie, in the form of an 09 Camaro with a different body! It's all about marketing and getting people interested in the car. You never know.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Pic of the car?
Go to the link and look..........let me know if you see one there

j/k.....they didn't even bother to mention the car in the article (other than the 'bird from the tv series).
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
The car hasn't been decided on yet. How about this KITT as a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry! lol
BLASPHEMY!! Ban him

Hopefully it's a good show. I pray it's a 02 TA, but hope at LEAST a new Camaro.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We are going crazy with this on my Knight Rider board. I guess we will see how things will hatch out. I will bet it won't even be nowhere near a Trans Am though. TKR used all Ford vehicles, and the Knight Rider 2000 movie had a Dodge Stealth under a custom made body based similiarly off the Banshee. Most "remakes" often butcher the original series.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Most "remakes" often butcher the original series.
The Dukes of Hazzard Movie & Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning comes to mind. At least they used the same car & the both Daisy Dukes were vast improvements
Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i agree that using the same car wouldnt be that bad... or that suprising.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 PM
'Bird Director

Not to keep referring to the Dukes of Hazzard, but they could do it similar to the first Duke's Reunion TV movie. Have them find the car still as it was left in '86, then show them modernize the electronics and mechanicals.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Should use a Firehawk.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

08 Z06 would be a good place to start.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im thinking they'll make it an import of some kind, wouldnt that **** everyone off lol
Old 11-16-2007, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

It's gonna be a black C6 Z06,lights in the nose intake...saw a pic somewhere, but it's been a week or two...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Evilways
It's gonna be a black C6 Z06,lights in the nose intake...saw a pic somewhere, but it's been a week or two...
This post....
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

too bad they won't use the konisegg like that movie poster that was floatin around not too long ago.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 AM
Launching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRuA4...eature=related
Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. With no T/A avabile.... I bet they use a black vette. The vette has the closest "look" of a bird. (I know if they don't bring back the bird, I will be looking at a vette as my next car!!!)
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilways
I can easily see that happening, not that I can say I agree with it though.

As for it being an import, I really REALLY wouldn't put it past them, since any Son of the Knight Rider would pretty much be into that garbage. That, and most kids now are, so they want to appeal to their target audience (so I'd assume teens, young 20s would be the target).
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
'Bird Director

I updated my original post....looks like ol' Hoffy is trying to get in on the action.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgX-h...eature=related