Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Taillight Grid removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Taillight Grid removal

Hi all,
I just want to know if its possible to remove the grid of the taillight after opening the taillight.
I have a set and there is a little bit of delamination.
I want to open the taillight.
Remove the grid.
Paint the taillight from the inside black.
Glue the grid on the plastic bag again and than close the taillight.
is it possible?
THX
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont see why not. but i think you would need to get rid of the grid since its black if your going to be painting it black anyway. Seems you want a black out look across the whole lamp..If so why dont you just buy black outs that snap over the lamps..That is the point of Blackouts
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

the thing is, that my taillights are delaminated and this looks ugly.
yeah you are right maybe there is no difference if i insert the grid in the end or not.
the thing is that this doesnt look 100% illegal because it is painted from the inside.
The blackouds to snap over the lamps are illegal in Germany.
Thats why I want to paint them from the inside.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

My opinion is I think you should get this stuff that is called Nite Shades, it is by a company called VHT and it is pretty much spray Tint. Do a search on here and see how people's taillights turned out. I did it to my lenses ie; the 3rd Brake light, both rear Side Markers, and both Front Turn Signals. They turned out freakin awesome!

Do some research on it, I think that is your best shot at getting rid of the ugliness, short of just going and buying new taillights!

Peace out
Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a near perfect set that are already cleared for sale now.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/810892-pewter-ramair-hood-clear-lt1ta-taillights-camaro-tails-grey-ttopshades-ta-door-panel.html
Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

yeah ok.
but i need to paint the lights from the inside.
if i paint them from the outside it is illegal. It is also illegal if i paint them from the inside, but they wont recognize it immediately.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You cannot remove the grid, it is part of the whole lens assembly. The outer plastic lens, is laminated to the lens assembly, which the grid is a part of. You can however, remove the outer plastic lens from the rest of the lens assembly with a heat gun or put it in the oven for a little bit like the whistler mod is done, then dremel off the grid section, and maybe silicone the lens back on. But then it would still look like crap on the outside with all the silicone, so you would still be left with a very unattractive tail light. Only solution really is to spray Nightshades on the outside as was already recommended. I picked up a free pair of the grid style tail lights from a guy who didn't want them because they were delaminated pretty bad. Sprayed on some Nightshades, and they look good as new, even better in fact.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the lens assembly itself can be removed from the light housing very easily. When I refer to the lens assembly, I mean the actual lens that has the plastic laminated to the front. Think of the tail light as 3 pieces put together. You have the housing, the lens with the grid, then the clear plastic outer lens. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited by blindxeyed; 11-13-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

@nhra-trans-am:
I have send you a pm for the taillights

Quick Reply: LT1 Taillight Grid removal