Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

HP and torque question for all you "bird" people

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP and torque question for all you "bird" people

Hey y'all;
I'm over from the LS4 front drives section ('06 Monte SS owner) with a question for all you Trans Am fanatics. Have been a long time T/A lover (have even had one in the past, a '79 four speed) and have always wanted another. Have always told myself I will own a WS6 car ever since they came out and now am in the process of buying one. So here's my question. The stock T/A (non WS6 model in the '98-'02 vintage) boasts HP and torque numbers of 305 and 320 respectively. The WS6 epuiped cars of 320 and 345 respectively. The only difference in the powerplant of the two cars I have ever been able to come across is the functional ram air. So where do the WS6 cars come up with the extra 15 ponies and 25 lbs. of torque? I can't see the ram air making up all of that, so what gives? I never really gave it much thought b4 about the difference and where it came from, just knew it was there. But now in buying one, kinda want to know for my own curiousity. Thanx for any info.

P.S. Thought I would attatch a photo or two of the other reason I am on this site, just to let y'all know that when the T/A I'm looking at is brought home, it won't be lonely.
Attached Thumbnails HP and torque question for all you "bird" people-another-good-one.jpg   HP and torque question for all you "bird" people-good-side-shoot-close-up.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All LS1 vehicles make approximately 350hp and 360tq at the crank.

97-04 Corvette
98-02 Camaro Z28/SS
98-02 Firebird Trans Am/Formula/WS6
04 GTO

There are obviously some minor variations throughout the years and for packaging reasons, but if you search this site and elsewhere, you will find the facts to back this up. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
All LS1 vehicles make approximately 350hp and 360tq at the crank.

97-04 Corvette
98-02 Camaro Z28/SS
98-02 Firebird Trans Am/Formula/WS6
04 GTO

There are obviously some minor variations throughout the years and for packaging reasons, but if you search this site and elsewhere, you will find the facts to back this up. Good luck on your purchase!
What He said

The HP difference isn't there it was mainly Marketing Hype.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, the ram air system is the reason for the hp difference between the base Trans Am and the ram air version. Everything else engine-wise is the same between the two versions.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Hey y'all;
Thanx for the responses so far. Kinda what I was wondering, (much like what you said LS1W66), if the number differences aren't more hype than anything. I mean, I consider myself pretty techy and a motorhead when it comes to this stuff and have been a GM man all my life. Especially when it comes to the sports/muscle car part of things. I was fairly certain that I hadn't missed anything as far as differences in the non WS6 to WS6 cars, but with Pontiac claiming 15HP and 25lbs of torque, makes one wonder. (Thought maybe, POSSIBLY there was some cam timing differences or something like that). But in all the reading I've done, the only difference between WS6 and non is the ram air and the variable spring rates in the suspension.

Now sure, I understand there may be a small increase in HP from the ram air (at higher speeds of course), but the most I've seen in cars and in bikes (kinda a bike person too), is a couple of horse (maybe 3-6 at best). And torque, well to me torque isn't something that benefits from ram air. The twisting force of an engine doesn't really benefit from forced air induction, it is what it is. But the WS6 boasting 15 horse and 25lbs of torque over it's non-snouted brother, I'm thinking Pontiac was trying to make it sound like for $3200 for the WS6 pkg, you were getting more than just looks.

But doesn't really matter. Both cars still run like raped apes!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gulfstreamcpt
Hey y'all;
Thanx for the responses so far. Kinda what I was wondering, (much like what you said LS1W66), if the number differences aren't more hype than anything. I mean, I consider myself pretty techy and a motorhead when it comes to this stuff and have been a GM man all my life. Especially when it comes to the sports/muscle car part of things. I was fairly certain that I hadn't missed anything as far as differences in the non WS6 to WS6 cars, but with Pontiac claiming 15HP and 25lbs of torque, makes one wonder. (Thought maybe, POSSIBLY there was some cam timing differences or something like that). But in all the reading I've done, the only difference between WS6 and non is the ram air and the variable spring rates in the suspension.
Yep its all hype, BTW the springs are the same as the stock TA, its the front sway bar, and shocks(?) that are different.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....33&postcount=6

Now sure, I understand there may be a small increase in HP from the ram air (at higher speeds of course), but the most I've seen in cars and in bikes (kinda a bike person too), is a couple of horse (maybe 3-6 at best). And torque, well to me torque isn't something that benefits from ram air. The twisting force of an engine doesn't really benefit from forced air induction, it is what it is. But the WS6 boasting 15 horse and 25lbs of torque over it's non-snouted brother, I'm thinking Pontiac was trying to make it sound like for $3200 for the WS6 pkg, you were getting more than just looks.

But doesn't really matter. Both cars still run like raped apes!!!!!!
HP = TQ * RPM/5252.
If the RPMs stay the same, and hp increases, that means torque increased (hp is just a variable of torque, torque[curve] is actually what moves your car).
Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Nobody's mentioned the fact that WS6s have a better flowing exhaust than non-WS6 cars, which accounts for most of the factory rating increase. This is why an aftermarket exhaust systems show bigger gains on non-WS6 cars than the same system does on a WS6, because the factory WS6 exhaust is already better than where the non-WS6 systems start. For the LS1 WS6s, the only variation between years is that the '98 WS6s used a unique, oddball looking SOTL (Single On The Left) system w/ a 3" round tip, while the '99-'02s used a different, quieter muffler and dual 2.5" round tips (non-WS6 V8 birds used oval tips). The change in '99 was to meet new noise standards. The SOTL was probably the best factory exhaust system installed on any V8 LS1 (it was also used on '98 SSs).

WRT the "ram air" hype, yeah it's mostly marketing hype at speeds encountered in a typical 1/4 mi run. BUT above 100MPH real gains w/ the Ram Air intake have been documented as proof there is something to be gained. In the Aug '99 issue C&D tested identically equipped '99 SS and '99 WS6 'verts, both 6Ms and the WS6 hit the speed limiter at 163MPH while the SS with it's less effective, more convoluted CAI system could only muster 160. I'd imagine the top-end benefit over a f-bod w/ no CAI system like a non-WS6 T/A would be even more pronounced.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Launching!

ws6's and non ws6's also had different rear end gears.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t-rocks firehawk
ws6's and non ws6's also had different rear end gears.
In-correct. ALL m6 cars come equipped with 3.42 gears, regardless of what model. A4s on the other hand, would come with 3.23s if they were a WS6, and 2.73s if a base TA, BUT, there was an option for the "performance axle", that gave base TAs 3.23s as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
In-correct. ALL m6 cars come equipped with 3.42 gears, regardless of what model. A4s on the other hand, would come with 3.23s if they were a WS6, and 2.73s if a base TA, BUT, there was an option for the "performance axle", that gave base TAs 3.23s as well.
'Tis true. The WS6s and SSs w/ A4s had the 3.23 rear as a "mandatory option". Since the A4 was standard and M6s were a no-cost option, the A4s stickered higher than an identically equipped M6 car due to this "mandatory option" 3.23 rear.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The difference in the LS1's are year to year...they basically get better and if you get technical they are completely different yet dont yeild too much of a difference power wise usually.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

major difference is 01 and 02 had the ls6 intake. I think it was 10 extra hp. Ohh, and some had the ls6 block.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

01,02's got the smaller truck cam.....Its a numbers game that so called better flowing muffler that the WS6 came with when I cut it open looked the exact same as the stock muffler on the base T/a...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

JRP's Sticky in the New User Section is full of good info.

Quick Reply: HP and torque question for all you "bird" people