Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Replacing Power Window Motors in 78 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Power Window Motors in 78 TA?

Does anybody know how difficult it is to replace the power window motors in a second gen? I'm looking to buy a 78 TA and it has power windows but they're atrociously slow and was just wondering how much money I'd have to save up after buying the car to replace these buggers.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had one done in my 78 TA. it was by a bodyshop guy, who was working on it anyway. its probably not too hard, im sure its alot easier then a 3rd or 4th gen. only thing, its probably not just the motor that is making it go slow. you have to check out the entire setup for the window - the track, the lifting arms, etc. sometimes its those that cause it to run slow, i know thats the main problem with mine. the tracks, after years of use, run out of grease and start eating away at itself. if youre taking it all apart, id look into replacing everything all at once, just to be sure and have everything brand new. i have no idea what it will cost, look at yearone or performance years, see if they have the resto hardware. a shot in the dark, maybe $200 per door, for everything?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are probably slow due to the way they were wired from GM. If you search around there is a way to do some minor re-wiring using a relay.
In this manner the pw motor receives a true 12v.

Google it or ask around.