Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking for Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Opinions!

Hey Everyone.

Im up in Ontario, where LS1 car's dont come cheap. (average $10k for a '98 - $19k for a '02). My dad has a '70 t/a That he wants to do an LS1 swap into, ive got a '89 iroc, that ive already almost finished an LSx swap into (5.3L).

This car we have found as a donor is a '00 Trans Am. We would be paying $7500 for it. The reason its so cheap is the #7 ring is toast. The car is in otherwise absolutaly prestine shape. Not a mark on it, Black leather interior, black exterior, WS6 wheels, etc etc. Its been fully modified, TR cam, LS6 intake, kooks headers, Magnaflow exhaust, etc etc. The #7 ring isnt that big of a deal to replace, so thats why my dad is looking into buying it. He would buy it, take the Engine/Tranny and part the rest of it out. The engine currently has no heads on it, but includes a gift certificate for $1250 ad Texas-speed.

Heres what im thinking. 1. Its a prestine black '00 trans am. 2. Its my dream car 3. Insurance is really expensive for me on these things.

I could possibly get the roller (no engine or tranny, but everything else) from him for $4500. I could then either sell my LSx Iroc, and buy all the parts i need to get it back together, or i could just go ahead, and part it all out.

My dad feels its not worth it for me to buy it all off of him just to put it back together. He say's LS1 T/a's are just car's, and that my iroc is nicer (i built my iroc myself, its my first car. Oh, and im only 17 ).

Whats your opinion? Just part it out and wait for the prices to come down for me to pick a good car up? Pinch penny's for the next year to get the roller off him?

All help greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Launching!

those prices sound right im selling my 02 firehawk for 18k.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go with the bird man
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

What does a mint 99-00 WS6 with really low miles bring in, money wise up here in Canada anyways? I Never bothered to look on the canadian trader for them.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the bit of advice. Im concidering buying the car complete from him. I could sell off my LSx Iroc. But im undecided whether its best for me to hold onto my LSx thirdgen, or pickup an LS1 4th gen? I know 4th gens are coming down in value,while thirdgens are going up.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would hold onto the IROC for the summer.

If you really find out that you want full LSx car, the buy one from the late fall from the US when the prices start to fall.

I'm picking my LS1 up later this week - I'm stoked!

How's the weather down in Southern Ontario anyways?!

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions!