Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans Am...first upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am...first upgrades?

Alright this might be kinda newbie-like, but there's just so much stuff I can do to my car Im not sure exactly what to do. I have a good idea where to start. I bought a '96 WS6 M6 last fall and Ive driven it through the winter when the roads are clear. Well unfortunately Ive gotten caught in a snowfall or two and had it in the ditch...just a little paint gone off the bumper. Probably needs an alignment.

Anyway, springs coming up. The car is/going to be my daily driver and weekend cruiser. Will also see the 1/8mile track occasionally. Maybe once a month or so. It now has 87k miles, and everything is stock on it. When I got it (78k mi) I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter, oil and filter, coolant flush and refill, t-stat, EVAP, and EGR. Now all of that was original on it! So I imagine anything I didn't do is original also...

Savings are up and taxes are coming in and I'm gonna start upgrading. As stated above its a DD. I want to work on the things that really should be upgraded first, kinda do a little of everything. My budget is ~$2500. First thing I'm going to do is repaint it (only cost of supplies, dad used to own a body shop). This is the rest of what I have planned so far...

-New optispark
-Pacesetter LT's
-True duals with tips
-Short throw shifter
-Mail order tune
-TB bypass
-20% tint

Now what else should I do? I want to do stuff that needs to be done and is not going to hurt much gas mileage or driveability. Work on a little of every aspect of the car. I've already upgraded the audio a little with a Monsoon CD player, stealth box w/ sub and amp. Also changed all the lights with Sylvania Silverstars. As far as performance I'm only shooting for low 13's/high 12's. Other stuff Ive read about is SFC's, LCA's, shocks, aluminum driveshaft... give me some advice guys I'm mostly looking to do much needed maintenance, preventive maint, stuff that shouldve been upgraded factory, and have a little extra power to play with...

Ive done searching but everyone jumps in and says "go spend gobs of money on this and that but then your 10 bolt's gonna break so get a 12 bolt oh yeah and cam that bitch blah blah blah." Na-mean?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Launching!

well if your wanting more power the guys in the lt1 section know just how they tic and could be very helpful to you if you havent already posted up there. my.02 headers.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

first thing's first... SEAFOAM!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Good point I forgot about that. I thought this section would be more suitable because Im not just talking about engine mods here.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spiers
^Good point I forgot about that. I thought this section would be more suitable because Im not just talking about engine mods here.
ok... i'll start.

i recently got my 98.. and have done 17x9.5" ZR1 wheels, aftermarket hood, waterpump & complete fluid change.

the car has some other mods.. like exhaust, shifter & brakes. if those were not done, i would have done the exhaust first.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Konis, you will be mad at yourself for not getting them earlier.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I second the SEAFOAM! Maybe an intake, new TB and lower it (shocks + springs). SFC's are a "must-have" item for these cars, although I haven't gotten around to the SFC's myself.

From my own experience with manual F-bodies, get a PRO 5.0 shifter asap. I had it in my '99 Z28, and I've got it in my '85 TA, and I've put one in a friends '93 Z28 - by far the best shifter you can get IMO; even the owner of the tranny shop that rebuilt my T5 in my TA was impressed. Pro 5.0-You will not regret it!