Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Security light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light stays on

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I've got an interesting twist to the problem.

So, my security light stays on in my 2000 T/A. However, it's pretty obvious that the problem is that when I bought the car, I only got a plain key with it (i.e, missing the little piece of carbon in it to make it a PassKey-II).

I'd really like to get that light off, but since I don't have the original PassKey-II key, I don't know what value I should have on the resistor for a VATS bypass (or on a new key if I decide to go that route).

So, is there a clever way of fixing this? Or am I doomed to try all the 15 values, complete with the lockouts that using a wrong value will cause ?

/James
Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

The key itself costs about $60 at the dealership try that I think it should take care of your problem. If not, a whole new switch and new key are over $350 easily!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

my key was only like 26 bucks at a dealership
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Teching In

i just had a local locksmith install a new switch and make me two new keys and program them for like $160. and he did all the labor.

edit: reason why was the little contacts in my switch had gotten moved around from age i guess. they would sometimes not make contact and put my car into security mode and i could not get it to start.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackpontiacs
i just had a local locksmith install a new switch and make me two new keys and program them for like $160. and he did all the labor.

edit: reason why was the little contacts in my switch had gotten moved around from age i guess. they would sometimes not make contact and put my car into security mode and i could not get it to start.
DAMN! I got screwed at the local dealership then!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 AM
11 Second Club

I think I have resistors in my glove box still from when a friend did mine. If I do I'll look and post up so you know which ones he used atleast. Costed me like $3 for the resistors.

Quick Reply: Security light stays on