Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 Trans Am WS6 - Considering Purchasing - Read Plz!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Trans Am WS6 - Considering Purchasing - Read Plz!

Hi, I have found a Green 1997 Trans Am WS6 M6. It has 85000 Miles. The exterior condition appears to be normal for mileage (various scratches, a few door dings, a small dent in front fender). The car has been modified but I do not know to what extent. I can tell thought that:

*Exhaust is stock

*Headers are stock

*Chrome rims (Woo Hoo!)

*Alarm has been added (unknown at the moment if it has a motion feature)

*New tires (Sumitomo in the front and Goodyear Eagle F1 in the rear) - Tires have about 20-30% life left

*Appears to have a new rear end

*The car rides like **** (is this normal?). Very bumpy and there is a squeky noise at low RPM's (under 1000)

....The check engine light is on. Reason unknown at the moment (possibly sensor?)

*The "Low Oil" light is on... I do not know if the vehicle leaks but I will bring a big sheet of paper or cardboard and put it under the vehicle tmw and let it run for a good 20 min to see if it leaks. If it leaks im not buying it.

*Vehicle has some home work done to it. - The alternator and carb have been painted yellow...(eww)Also there are various areas on the car that have been painted yellow but they will be removed with some TLC.

*The boot is not in place and needs to be eather re attached or replaced (i have never installed one and it looks like a pain in the ***)

*The right exhaust does not push air out nearly as strong as the left. It is stock and there are no holes so I assume this is normal?

-The sticker price is 8K. I can talk him down (at leaste $500) I also have a 1995 V6 A4 drop top camaro with 15500K miles. I am recieveing $1500 as a trade in. What do you guys think? I can not afford a vehicle over 9K... champaign taste with a coca cola price. It is a ws6 and manual which is the only reason i am considering it. It is a real hassle to find a WS6 in my price range that can be financed. Best of all I CAN COMFORTABLY AFFORD IT.

What are some questions I should ask the dealer?
What are some things I should look out for?

Thank you very much for your input!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow... i would run far and fast from any LT1 F body that's in such poor condition at such a price. it may be a WS6 but it sounds like a hammered POS to me.

Originally Posted by LemonTree
*Vehicle has some home work done to it. - The alternator and carb have been painted yellow...(eww)Also there are various areas on the car that have been painted yellow but they will be removed with some TLC.

CARB? dude.. c-mon.... the last year pontiac put a carb on any car was '90... and the last year they put a carb on a 'bird was 87.

do you have any idea at all what you're looking at?

I can not afford a vehicle over 9K... champaign taste with a coca cola price. It is a ws6 and manual which is the only reason i am considering it. It is a real hassle to find a WS6 in my price range that can be financed. Best of all I CAN COMFORTABLY AFFORD IT.
dude.. being a real WS6 means nothing in the face of the horrendous condition described above. if you can barely pay the 9k.. where are you going to get the thousands that this car will need to be in passable condition?

What are some questions I should ask the dealer?
what auction that piece of **** came from and what was he smoking when he decided to buy it.

What are some things I should look out for?
cars like the one stated above (you know, the type with yellow spray paint, chrome wheels, scratches, oil light on horrible ride quality etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad is harsh, but right. That car seems to be a POS, and if it has "a small dent in front fender" I'd be DEEPLY worried, because the front 2/3 of the car is plastic (except the roof, and probably the hood). So if it's dented, it probably was replaced with an aftermarket fender, and most GOOD ones will be another plastic one. I can only think of Certa-fit (see: sorta-fit) to use metal replacement. So if it DOES have metal fenders, good chance it was in a wreck.

Also, for $8k, you can get a decent 98-99 LS1 that'll be quite a bit faster, and not in such rough condition. Chances are, that 97 is a fake WS6 anyways and the douche is just trying to get top dollar for it. If it was a true WS6, and was in GREAT shape and running order, then yea I'd say it'd merit that kind of cost. My 93 cost me $3800 and it doesn't have 90% of those problems, and it has aftermarket exhaust And seeing as it's from a dealer, they probably wouldn't know it's a fake anyways. It's probably a your average popup-overnight Used Car lot anyhow (usually stay away from these places).

Lastly, no F-Body that I know of from 82-02 (except maybe the rare-rare-custom option (like maybe a 92 Firehawk with the T-Ram intake)) came with headers, stock is just called an exhaust manifold. If it had a new rear, it was probably beat on very VERY hard, hence all the problems it looks to have.

Final verdict: Tell him $4K, then your trade in on top of that, and a Pine Scent air freshner
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Umm, 8k for that? No way. Like Formula350 said, run fast and hard from any bird with a "dented" fender. And "real" WS6 means next to nothing over a stock T/A IMO, or one with a "fake" hood. Collectible value isn't there, and probably won't be, despite what some might think ...

Sounds like a ripoff to me.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Well...his name is Lemontree. LOL

Hey, nice catch on the "metal" fender, Formula350. Thats a great point.

Look, I spent 8,500 for my mint 66K miled Formula WS6...which was a little high but around here in Wa State its about the going rate.

That car you described with only 85K miles sounds like it was hammered hard.

I wouldn't want it at any price. That 4,000 price is about right. For 8,000 you can get a really nice F-body.

Run away.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
Well...his name is Lemontree. LOL

Hey, nice catch on the "metal" fender, Formula350. Thats a great point.

Look, I spent 8,500 for my mint 66K miled Formula WS6...which was a little high but around here in Wa State its about the going rate.

That car you described with only 85K miles sounds like it was hammered hard.

I wouldn't want it at any price. That 4,000 price is about right. For 8,000 you can get a really nice F-body.

Run away.
the OP thinks the car has a carb.. nuff said.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pass on that one.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I'm glad he asked. If this site resource saves him from that bad mistake then the time Lemontree took to type that detailed post is WELL worth it.

Seriously Lemontree...keep looking and if ya find another one, describe it as well as you did this one and get some informed opinions on here again.

You did good by asking...now do the right thing and run away from that POS.

Try to stay away from dealers anyway. If you need the financing and cant pay cash do it thru the bank and then buy private party.
You'll get much more car for less.

Put it this way. You can get a car worth 8K from a private party for...8K.
Or, you can get a 4K car from a dealer for 8K.
They regularly mark 'em up 75+ percent.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadGTho
the OP thinks the car has a carb.. nuff said.
Thinking a throttle body, is called a carb, an idiot does not one make. Ignorance doesn't equal stupidity. If it does, just remember, you were that stupid once too (and no I won't deny I wasn't, we all were by your logic then).
Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Chill out BADGToh. I wrote this thread at 1 in the morning. No there is no carb and it is a LT1.

Originally Posted by Formula350
Bad is harsh, but right. That car seems to be a POS, and if it has "a small dent in front fender" I'd be DEEPLY worried,

Also, for $8k, you can get a decent 98-99 LS1 that'll be quite a bit faster, and not in such rough condition. Chances are, that 97 is a fake WS6 anyways

Final verdict: Tell him $4K, then your trade in on top of that, and a Pine Scent air freshner
Yea i was expecting that. Wow I never thought if it was a fake...When it comes down to it, it is just a tag on the read end that says "WS6"...Is there any vin number or any other way to tell if it is a true WS6? I will go in there with all my cash and low ball the f**k out of him (4K from 8K). If he does not except i will be on my way.

Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
Well, I'm glad he asked. If this site resource saves him from that bad mistake then the time Lemontree took to type that detailed post is WELL worth it.

Seriously Lemontree...keep looking and if ya find another one, describe it as well as you did this one and get some informed opinions on here again.

You did good by asking...now do the right thing and run away from that POS.

Try to stay away from dealers anyway. If you need the financing and cant pay cash do it thru the bank and then buy private party.
You'll get much more car for less.

Put it this way. You can get a car worth 8K from a private party for...8K.
Or, you can get a 4K car from a dealer for 8K.
They regularly mark 'em up 75+ percent.
Very very true! If i cant get the car for dirt cheap im out.

Originally Posted by ryanmh1
Umm, 8k for that? No way. Like Formula350 said, run fast and hard from any bird with a "dented" fender. And "real" WS6 means next to nothing over a stock T/A IMO, or one with a "fake" hood. Collectible value isn't there, and probably won't be, despite what some might think ...

Sounds like a ripoff to me.
...I think it is a fake hood. There is no "fabric" (i don't exactly know what material it is) that is lined in the interior of the hood that every vehicle i have ever seen has had.

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for there input! Now with everyones input I now realize that this car is a dog. Period. The only reason I am somewhat considering the car (if i get it for 4K) is because I think after a month of TLC, I can get it to look much better than it does right now. I have a quick question.

- Is there any way to tell if the vehicle is a true WS6? I would love to show the dealer that his WS6 is a fake.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Thinking a throttle body, is called a carb, an idiot does not one make.
Are you Yoda?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

...I think it is a fake hood. There is no "fabric" (i don't exactly know what material it is) that is lined in the interior of the hood that every vehicle i have ever seen has had.

- Is there any way to tell if the vehicle is a true WS6? I would love to show the dealer that his WS6 is a fake.
Don't know about the LT1 WS6s, but the LS1 WS6s do NOT have insulation on the underside of the hood like most cars.

Check the RPO decal for "WS6", it's on the door 98+, not sure about LT1s, either on the door or on the glovebox door.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

No lining on my stock 96 WS6 hood. I'm thinking since it's put on at SLP/ASC they are basically an aftermarket hood and have no lining... but I don't know for sure.
And yes...look at RPO decal on drivers door and look for WS6 mixed in with all the other codes.

Lemontree, I would check E-Bay and Craigslist(where I got mine) for a clean LT1 or LS1 F-body. You can get a nice ride for 8K.

Here's some in your area:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/car/643301212.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/car/642636233.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/car/638803041.html

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 04-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onyx_rock
Are you Yoda?
mmmm boat anchor is LT1 says yoda.

Chill out BADGToh. I wrote this thread at 1 in the morning. No there is no carb and it is a LT1.
i know its and LT1.. I know it does not have a carb... it was you that was confused.

i beleive this was answered above.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

We have a used car dealership..We go to the auction a lot..I got my 99 TA with 105k from the auction,it was hit light in the rear quarter..Some guy sold us a 97 Z28 with 66k.Looked just like my TA..Black,gray leather ,chrome wheels..That Z28 sounds exactly like that WS6 your looking at..This Z28 looks sweet,but it is the biggest POS..My TA is 3 times that car with twice the miles..Like the other guy said,don't do it..It will be a money pit..
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

As for the leak, good luck finding an LT1 that DOESN'T leak. They pretty much all leak at the rear of the intake manifold. Replacing the gasket generally clears that up.

On a 97, the RPO sheet should be in the glovebox. Look for a sticker that says "SERVICE PARTS INDENTIFIER" and then look through the three digit codes for "WS6".

Honestly, it sounds like that car has been owned by some teenage ******* who beat the hell out of it. Don't waste your time with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

1st garage and body shop that you trust, have them check it out!!!
2nd verify with slp or pontiac that it is truly a WS6 via the vin number
3rd chew him down a ways so that you will have money to fix her up the way you want too....
4th if it is a real ws6 and it is not too bad after all of that research and you get a good price i would grab it and then fix her to the proper specs......
good luck and smart buying and I would do all of these steps regardless of the dealer or person or car you are buying....
Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input! You guys have steered me in the right direction. Today im going to the dealership for fun. Im not planning on purchasing the car unless i can get it for DIRT cheap (3K highly unlikley).

I printed out the thread and highlighted everyones input on the car. It is going to be real funny when i hand him the 7 page packet with highlights of people saying "STAY THE F**K AWAY" and "ITS A POS". I want to see his reaction with this situation. My fav comment is:

Originally Posted by BadGTho
wow... i would run far and fast from any LT1 F body that's in such poor condition at such a price. it may be a WS6 but it sounds like a hammered POS to me.

"quote Lemon Tree" - What are some questions i should ask the dealer

what auction that piece of **** came from and what was he smoking when he decided to buy it.

"Quote LemonTree" - What are some things I should look out for?

cars like the one stated above (you know, the type with yellow spray paint, chrome wheels, scratches, oil light on horrible ride quality etc.
Hell yea thats funny as hell!

-Im also going to bring a flat cardboard box and put it underneath the car while it runs. Things should get very interesting
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input! You guys have steered me in the right direction. Today im going to the dealership for fun. Im not planning on purchasing the car unless i can get it for DIRT cheap (3K highly unlikley).

I printed out the thread and highlighted everyones input on the car. It is going to be real funny when i hand him the 7 page packet with highlights of people saying "STAY THE F**K AWAY" and "ITS A POS". I want to see his reaction with this situation. My fav comment is:

Hell yea thats funny as hell!

-Im also going to bring a flat cardboard box and put it underneath the car while it runs. Things should get very interesting
you can't bullshit a bullshitter.... why waste your time.. walk away.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Yea Just walk away

Quick Reply: 1997 Trans Am WS6 - Considering Purchasing - Read Plz!