Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Replacing LT1 Engine

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Replacing LT1 Engine

Sorry for being a beginner here but I'm changing out the LT1 in my '97 Trans Am Firebird Formula and need a couple of pointers. I've found a used LT1 out of a caprice for $450 and plan on using the one with the cracked block for spare parts (and will canabalize the oil pan). Can anyone give me some (low cost) pointers on some minor changes (to enhance performance) and things to look out for during this job. This is my first time pulling an engine out the bottom of a car.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

B Body LT1 engines have a different cam design than F Body LT1s for more low end power to get those heavy cars outta the hole better!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM

Red face

Can I use the Cam out of the TA to replace the caprice one? My feeling (with only the radiator/battery/tranny cooler pulled so far) is that the block is cracked. Would that have damaged the CAM? It didn't get real hot, I think the block damage was from the first time the wife overheated it and blew the head gaskets.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will want to repost this question in the lt1-lt4 forum, first off, if you have to replace your motor, I would redo the bottom end, even if it is just the basic rebuild. The caprice motor has different heads and cam, you can swap your whole top end on to that motor. But if your heads are slightly warped from overheating, then you probably need new heads, or those machined. You never want to use a used cam that has alot of miles on it, the lifters have been broken in with that cam so it will never be perfect. You should get a new cam and lifters, pushrods, and some roller rockers. It will save you a headache in the long run if you buy new parts. Pulling the motor looks like a bitch, and people have many pictures on how they did it. I myself have not done it yet, but will do it myself if the motor blows up. A basic rebuild is not that much money and will give your car a new life.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for advice. I've reposted it there. Not enough money to do too much in the way of upgrades, but i'm taking to opportunity to clean up some surface rust, do some cleaning of parts (transmission, clutch) switch out the shifter and one or two cheap mods on the engine to make it a little faster.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem, a few cheap mods are headers, off road y pipe, cat back, cold air intake, and maybe a small cam, but then you need new lifters (ls7 lifters are $100), and some nice roller rockers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing LT1 Engine