Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

free mods for a 99

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free mods for a 99

Hey guys and girls, I am wondering if you can recommend some of the free mods for my 99. I have only been able to find ones for 2002 so far and I know the cars are different.
Please help or hook me up with a link to search more specifically in here please???
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by hullkinghitman
Hey guys and girls, I am wondering if you can recommend some of the free mods for my 99. I have only been able to find ones for 2002 so far and I know the cars are different.
Please help or hook me up with a link to search more specifically in here please???
The differences between the '99s and '02 LS1 are so minor that none of the bolt-on mods would be significantly effected, even if they are (headers w/ EGR for example), parts are available for either year. All the free-stuff that you could do would be un-affected by the subtle changes between any of the LS1 years. Is there some specific "difference" that has you concerned?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM

I orginally bought a used Ls6 intake from a 02 z28 and headers off the same car.
The intake did not have an opening for the egr and the headers were of a similar problem with where everything hooked up.
I asked about getting someone to install the intake and pipes but nobody would touch it and if they would, I would have to trailer the car 3 hours to get it re-programmend.
I would just rather do something that bolts up or can "be modified( I am doing the free ram air mod next) relatively easy.
I am also worried about these mods throwing up codes. I live in michigan so no testing but I don't want to put electrical tape over the service engine soon light so I don't see it. LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well honestly if the emissions is the only thing throwing a code...and the holes are taken care of ....the car will run fine...but that light will get annoying
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i installed an LS6 intake and LT headers with no EGR or AIR provisions on my 99 t/a. Drove it a wk or two before I could get it to a shop for a tune and to turn the light off. I think it looks much better with those two systems removed, and like you said you dont have emissions there.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Get rid of the emissions crap, and slap that LS6 on.
-Joel
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by hullkinghitman
I orginally bought a used Ls6 intake from a 02 z28 and headers off the same car.
Oh, my bad, I thought you were looking for advice on FREE mods.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol, like Joel said. **** the emissions. LOL, I almost wish you could see my 99 right now.. ( I live close enough to arkansas that the only thing I need to pass inspection is a case of Keystone)... There are PLENTY of options for that, Take the EGR off of your car, get a plate to cover your tubing on the headers, remove the pump, and get it flashed by mail to clear the codes. its simple, and you will love the new power of those headers and that intake... And its affordable too.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Oh, my bad, I thought you were looking for advice on FREE mods.
Me too.

To the OP: There are a few good mail order tuners that you can get, MadZ28 and PCM for Less are 2 off the top of my head. No need to trailer your car 3hrs.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

LOL about free mods. LOL
What is flashed by mail? See in my elcamino life was so easy. Air conditioning pump? Screw that ! cut it out and gain HP. now I don't even seem to be able to change a throttle body without lighting up my dash like a christmas tree
I already got refunded for the intake, and instead of the headers, the seller is going to go through my tranny so i get rubber in 2nd and 3rd. It's an automatic but if anybody can get it done, this guy can. He just can't use a tuner as well as he would like so he won't touch it.
So egr tube in the intake is getting cut, that sounds like it wont light up my car, and I am going to bypass the TB.

Quick Reply: free mods for a 99