Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Over heating Chicken

[SIZE="4"]
Have a 1997 ramair T/A ws6,

It has been giving me the blues with overheating. new electric fan motors,
stat,water pump, radiator2yrs old. In morning it's great ambient temperatuire
is cool but as soon as I stop or increase in ambient temp, the car"s temp rises quickly. Not losing any coolant, clean and proper oil levels. throws up from overflow like drunk with hang over, loss of power during acceleration only after car has been driven about 15 min. Need some help to cool this chicken down. Some one mentioned catalytic converter!
rammair 1997[/SIZE
]
Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM

I just joined this list, I got a 97 firebird a few months ago so I'm not as familiar with pontiacs yet. But since you have not gotten any other responses as far as I can tell I give you a few ideas that I have used on my 67 mustang, which can be notorious for overheating.

You mentioned that you have a new "stat" I assume that is thermostat. I know that it can be important to have the right temperature rated one for your vehicle. if it is too low it can actually cause overheating. Another thing is there are several type of filters that go inline in the upper radiator hose, Two I know of are made by Gano and Tefba. THey can help filter out the gunk in your cooling system.

I don't know if this forum allows posting of links but you can try this

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustan...%20Filter.html

Don't know if this will help but they are both simple and inexpensive possible fixes.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you bleed the coolant system, since the lt1 has a reverse cooling it has a tendency to get air bubbles, the bleed valves are on the heater hoses and the thermostat housing.

good luck
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

you might want to replace your fan relays as well thats what was wrong with mine..

Quick Reply: Over heating Chicken