Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What is that stuff in my 67s trunk??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is that stuff in my 67s trunk??

Hi

just got my 67 Firebird Convertible from Texas to Norway yesterday.
Started to do some work on it today... most things need to be done to it, but thats what I am looking forward to.

The thing I wounder about is:
On both sides all the way to the back of the trunk, i have a container of some sort. It is cylinder formed and is approx 4-5 inches i diameter and maybe 8 inches tall. It has a bolt on the op of it. they are not connected to anything.
And they weigh at least 10 pounds each.

Can anyone tell me what this is? And what it`s for?

Will post some pictures but forgot my camera in my fathers garage.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

They have something to do with it being a convertable. Saw something about them on HorsePower TV a while back. Don't remember the exact use but they were really important to keep. If I can find out more I will post again. They are building a 69 convertable.

Last edited by Tooslowbirdman; 06-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Me too. Saw that HP TV show as well with the Blue Convert. but for the life of me can't remember what they said the container's were for.
Balance weights?
If there are hoses connected to the bottom traveling thru the floor, possibly they were containers for some sort of liquid tire chain to drop on the rear tires in inclement whether. Back in the day alot of hairbrain stuff like that was sold thru Popular Mechanics magazines, etc. Check the trunk of early Birds and Camaro's at the next car show in Norway?
Best of Luck on your ride!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are called "cocktail shakers" by most people. They are basically ballast weights filled with automatic transmission fluid to help balance out the corners of the convertibles to give a better ride.
The following users liked this post:
tuske427 (03-20-2022)
Old 06-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Ok, thank you for that info.
Will rent some "test drive" licence plates next weekend and go to a car show... will check on other first gen f-body cars if there are any there.

So I guess I just can take them out and replace them with a pair of 10" subwoofers in enclosures then?!
Will also probably put the battery in the trunk.

Just have to see how the project evolves.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They may be canisters filled with cocain that was smuggled overseas in your car without you knowing!! Get a gun! Quickly!!

LMAO! Just kidding, but when I read the title of the thread I was thinking bodies, but heavy canisters sounds more like a drug embezzlement.

Other than the BS above, I'm no use to you as I haven't a slight clue!

Swat
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are counter weights to reduce flex and add stability to the car. if u take them out the car will vibrate to death. there are some in the front finders also
Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Found the ones in the front fender

Read a lot about "coctail shakers" on the web now.
And they are very important for the stability of the convertible at speed.

So I will keep them in my car!
Just very happy that they where there. Or else I would drive my car and never find out what that made it feel like driving with four bent rims.

Thank you for the info
Old 03-14-2022, 10:15 PM

They are canisters filled with lead shot beads to add weight over the rear wheels. That is why Firebirds "jumped" off the line, while Camaro's burnt their tires off. They weight about 50# each. Only the Firebirds had the wheel tubs drilled and spot nuts welded in for the mounts. Smart Camaro owners bought the canisters from Pontiac and install them.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Justbecause
They are canisters filled with lead shot beads to add weight over the rear wheels. That is why Firebirds "jumped" off the line, while Camaro's burnt their tires off. They weight about 50# each. Only the Firebirds had the wheel tubs drilled and spot nuts welded in for the mounts. Smart Camaro owners bought the canisters from Pontiac and install them.
I can't believe this is the first I've heard of this difference between the 1st-gen 'Birds and Camaros. Anyone have pictures of these canisters (out of curiosity)?

Quick Reply: What is that stuff in my 67s trunk??