Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

02 SOM WS6.. how much would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SOM WS6.. how much would you pay?

If you were in the market or had the money for an 02 SOM WS6, how much would you pay for it. Here are the vehicle details:

-02 SOM WS6 (MN6)
-Black and camel combo interior
-33,xxx miles
-12 disc changer
-Hooker headers
-Custom y with 2 cutouts just off the headers (LOUD is an understatement)
-GMMG catback w/ oval tips
-comes with and is wired for McCord elcetric cutouts (toggle switch is in ashtray)
-intake lid
-comes with new never used GM black bra
-comes with new never used Prokit lowering kit
-GSD3 all the way around 8k on back tires, 4k on front (tires still have nipples)
-344 rwhp w/ cutouts open, was around 10 less closed, dynoed at less than 7k miles

Interior is like new (smells new). Few road nicks here and there. Car has always been garage kept. Was a queen from 0-23,000 miles. DD from 23k-33k. The only thing wrong is the 02 sensors need to be replaced. No probs or issues with the car what so ever.

Danny
Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly the headers will hurt the value. Return it to near stock and sell them seperate. Also fix the 02s because thats cheap and NO PROBLEMS sounds a lot better.

In real world money and todays market the car should bring $16K-$18.5K pretty easy....to the right buyer you could get $20K. Put the stock exhaust back on it and the higer end (asuming the nicks are very minor!) should be easily obtained. The fact that its a 6spd helps it a lot. I saw a very simular SOM WS6 sell a couple weeks ago for $15K but it was an auto and had 60,000 miles....and IMO that was a steal. The car is certainly worth a premium to the right buyer.

BTW if you want to sell the bra I am looking for one...pm me!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i payed $18k for mine this past jan exactly like your but stock with 47k on her
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02Warbird
If you were in the market or had the money for an 02 SOM WS6, how much would you pay for it. Here are the vehicle details:

-02 SOM WS6 (MN6)
-Black and camel combo interior
-33,xxx miles
-12 disc changer
-Hooker headers
-Custom y with 2 cutouts just off the headers (LOUD is an understatement)
-GMMG catback w/ oval tips
-comes with and is wired for McCord elcetric cutouts (toggle switch is in ashtray)
-intake lid
-comes with new never used GM black bra
-comes with new never used Prokit lowering kit
-GSD3 all the way around 8k on back tires, 4k on front (tires still have nipples)
-344 rwhp w/ cutouts open, was around 10 less closed, dynoed at less than 7k miles

Interior is like new (smells new). Few road nicks here and there. Car has always been garage kept. Was a queen from 0-23,000 miles. DD from 23k-33k. The only thing wrong is the 02 sensors need to be replaced. No probs or issues with the car what so ever.

Danny
Be lucky to get 15k for it. V8 Market is crashed from the gas prices.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming. I think I may just take 17k for it. I'll need some room in the garage in a couple weeks. I'd hate to stick the WS6 outside.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
BS...the person that would buy that car wouldnt DD anyway. The uncertainty of economy may make it hard to sell right now but the fact the gas mileage doesnt matter. BESIDES this car would get as good or better MPGs than 90% of the V6s on the road.

BTW keep me in mind on that bra! I would like to have it for mine when I go on the Tripp City Cruise at the Nationals in August (Yeah, thats the next time I plan to drive mine!)
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

$15-16k is probably all the money retail on that car.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Morpheus
$15-16k is probably all the money retail on that car.
NADA is $19,400 for "clean retail." And thats not taking into account that its one of the most desirable and hard to find colors and a 6spd....to the right buyer that should add a 20% or more premium on top of the retail price of an AVERAGE 2002 WS6.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default WS6 for sale

Got a question. What does the SOM stand for? Might be a stupid question I have seen this before and have not figured it out?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Sunset Orange Metallic
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Netto
Got a question. What does the SOM stand for? Might be a stupid question I have seen this before and have not figured it out?

SOM is the color...Sunset Orange Metailc. It is thought by a lot of people to be THE color to have and since they were not many made and they are very desirable...they command a primium price over a simularly equiped red, black,silver, blue or white car.

This is my SOM WS6:
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Mileage = very good. Tires = very good to excellent, Color = excellent. Needing some repairs = bad. Not stock = not good. Money = $17,000 to the right buyer "as-is". Return to stock and make repairs = $19,000 to the right buyer. I really think there is a $2,000 spread if you properly market the car as a collector vs daily driver. You have to decide which route to take. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
NADA is $19,400 for "clean retail." And thats not taking into account that its one of the most desirable and hard to find colors and a 6spd....to the right buyer that should add a 20% or more premium on top of the retail price of an AVERAGE 2002 WS6.
NADA clean retail doesn't mean **** here. The car has been modified so it doesn't fall in the clean retail category. I know all about the rarity and desirability of the car because I used to own one just like it. Someone might buy that car for $19-20k but it's not a realistic number on this particular car. You can find these cars for a lot less if you just look around. I wouldn't pay more than $15k for it but that's just me. The modifications hurt the car IMO. If it was bone stock and unmolested, then I'd be willing to give more. Not $19k though.

Anyone that adds 20% for SOM is a ******* moron too. It's my favorite color but color does not add 20% value on a modern car. Maybe on some classic cars but even then it's very rare to add that much value to a car. By your calculations, at $19,400 SOM should add $3,880! Are you kidding me!? LOL!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone that adds 20% for SOM is a ******* moron too. It's my favorite color but color does not add 20% value on a modern car. Maybe on some classic cars but even then it's very rare to add that much value to a car. By your calculations, at $19,400 SOM should add $3,880! Are you kidding me!? LOL!
I totally agree the mods hurt the car...thats what I said from the start. I also said to the right buyer a 20% premium for a SOM / 6 speed car (IF THATS WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR) is resonable markup. If serious buyer is looking for a SOM/6spd car do you honestly think they wouldn't be will to pay $3K-4K more for it than they would a red/auto car (it has the same RETAIL value)? Again this is to the right buyer (obviously not you!) As for them being "out there"....ok how many clean low mile 6spd SOM WS6s do you see sell everyday??? Not many (they only made 302 to start with)...I looked for a year and half for mine and I certainly paid more than 20% premium for it (I guess I was the RIGHT buyer) and thought that was more than fair. SOM has two things going for it...its extreamly popular right now and is extreamly rare. To say its not worth 20% more than the exact same car that they made 20 times more of is plain stupid. Sure to the average person that just wants a F-Body then no they probably wouldnt pay the extra money for it (hell they probably wouldnt pay more for a WS6 than they would a SS as far as that goes)...but absolutly the right buyer would. Its like the 78 you have for sell...dont you think the factory black cars are much more desirable and command a premium over say the blue or red ones??? (BTW...if you werent so far off I would buy that car today from you! Thats a hell of a deal your offering on it!) The question is does he want to sell it fast or waite for the right buyer?

ALSO, with all that said...if you look at my first post I said he should be able to get $16.5K-$18K for the car...$20K to the right buyer. Well below "retail"...but still I think thats at least 20% more than the average WS6 would sell for right now!

BTW whats your definition of a classic? Does it have to be rare? Does it have to be out of production? Does it have to be desirable? Or does it just have to be old....I guess in that case a Ford Pinto would be a classic wouldnt it?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I totally agree the mods hurt the car...thats what I said from the start. I also said to the right buyer a 20% premium for a SOM / 6 speed car (IF THATS WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR) is resonable markup. If serious buyer is looking for a SOM/6spd car do you honestly think they wouldn't be will to pay $3K-4K more for it than they would a red/auto car (it has the same RETAIL value)? Again this is to the right buyer (obviously not you!) As for them being "out there"....ok how many clean low mile 6spd SOM WS6s do you see sell everyday??? Not many (they only made 302 to start with)...I looked for a year and half for mine and I certainly paid more than 20% premium for it (I guess I was the RIGHT buyer) and thought that was more than fair. SOM has two things going for it...its extreamly popular right now and is extreamly rare. To say its not worth 20% more than the exact same car that they made 20 times more of is plain stupid. Sure to the average person that just wants a F-Body then no they probably wouldnt pay the extra money for it (hell they probably wouldnt pay more for a WS6 than they would a SS as far as that goes)...but absolutly the right buyer would. Its like the 78 you have for sell...dont you think the factory black cars are much more desirable and command a premium over say the blue or red ones??? (BTW...if you werent so far off I would buy that car today from you! Thats a hell of a deal your offering on it!) The question is does he want to sell it fast or waite for the right buyer?

ALSO, with all that said...if you look at my first post I said he should be able to get $16.5K-$18K for the car...$20K to the right buyer. Well below "retail"...but still I think thats at least 20% more than the average WS6 would sell for right now!

BTW whats your definition of a classic? Does it have to be rare? Does it have to be out of production? Does it have to be desirable? Or does it just have to be old....I guess in that case a Ford Pinto would be a classic wouldnt it?

I'd say any vehicle that's not at least 20 years old doesn't qualify as a classic. Classic is a blend of age and desirability IMO. A 7 year old Trans Am is most definitely not a classic because you can still find them in droves in good condition and no matter what anyone says, they're not as desirable as they used to be.

As for my 78, black is only a plus if it's a Bandit Special Edition. My car isn't worth more than any other run of the mill TA though just because it's black. If I turn it into a SE clone though, it will be more desirable.

You're right about me not being the right buyer for this car. I've seen probably 10-15 M6 SOM WS6 cars for sale in the last year though. I know because I was looking for one when I got my SS. My old SOM WS6 popped up for sale before I got my SS but I passed on it because it had more mileage and had some previous body damage. It was still stock though and in great shape. It sold for around $14k. I've seen a couple of sub 20k mile cars for around $18k as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Teching In

SOM is the color...Sunset Orange Metailc. It is thought by a lot of people to be THE color to have and since they were not many made and they are very desirable...they command a primium price over a simularly equiped red, black,silver, blue or white car.

This is my SOM WS6:
That pic makes me want to keep her. Maybe I can just shove my wifes ride out of the garage when my new one gets here...

BTW, my profile is outdated. I'm in OKC now. Is that closer for you? I do already have a local offer of 17K.

Do the mods hurt it that much?? Its only exhaust, easy swap. I just don't have the time to find/buy stock parts.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say any vehicle that's not at least 20 years old doesn't qualify as a classic. Classic is a blend of age and desirability IMO. A 7 year old Trans Am is most definitely not a classic because you can still find them in droves in good condition and no matter what anyone says, they're not as desirable as they used to be.

As for my 78, black is only a plus if it's a Bandit Special Edition. My car isn't worth more than any other run of the mill TA though just because it's black. If I turn it into a SE clone though, it will be more desirable.

You're right about me not being the right buyer for this car. I've seen probably 10-15 M6 SOM WS6 cars for sale in the last year though. I know because I was looking for one when I got my SS. My old SOM WS6 popped up for sale before I got my SS but I passed on it because it had more mileage and had some previous body damage. It was still stock though and in great shape. It sold for around $14k. I've seen a couple of sub 20k mile cars for around $18k as well.
Well WS6 cars have not depreciated at all in the last 4 years. Show me another 7 year old car thats still worth 2/3s of what it cost new. I also find extreamly hard to believe you have seen 10-15 SOM WS6s for sale in the last year...thats roughly 5% of the total number produced and you have seen them for sale? Also the fact that your saying that your car with high miles and BODY DAMAGE sold for $14K and this one is only worth $15K because it has exhaust???? Come on, ANY body damage or paint ruins the car to anybody that would be looking for one...why would you pay a premium for a SOM car that didnt have the original SOM paint? You wouldn't....hell buy a black one and paint orange.

At any rate lets just agree to not see eye to eye on it...you don't want it and I dont need another one. Good luck to the OP if he descides to sell it.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well WS6 cars have not depreciated at all in the last 4 years. Show me another 7 year old car thats still worth 2/3s of what it cost new. I also find extreamly hard to believe you have seen 10-15 SOM WS6s for sale in the last year...thats roughly 5% of the total number produced and you have seen them for sale? Also the fact that your saying that your car with high miles and BODY DAMAGE sold for $14K and this one is only worth $15K because it has exhaust???? Come on, ANY body damage or paint ruins the car to anybody that would be looking for one...why would you pay a premium for a SOM car that didnt have the original SOM paint? You wouldn't....hell buy a black one and paint orange.

At any rate lets just agree to not see eye to eye on it...you don't want it and I dont need another one. Good luck to the OP if he descides to sell it.
I'm not going to argue my point with you. I've spent the last 8 years in the car business and I know what I can buy one of these cars for. I don't overpay for my cars so yes, I'm saying this car TO ME would be worth about $15k tops. I live in Texas, which has more F-bodies than any other state. Hell we sold 5-6 of those 302 SOM M6 cars new and the store I'm at now sold around 10-15 so there are plenty of them around here. Oh and my old car sold for $14k a year ago and whether you admit it or not, these cars have depreciated and yes, gas prices are part of that. They're not going up in value.

Last edited by Morpheus; 06-24-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
No Doubt there man......take a look at the Dealer Lots ....PACKED.

Quick Reply: 02 SOM WS6.. how much would you pay?