Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New Member Question possible solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Question possible solenoid problem

This is my first post to the Pontiac Firebird forum, although I have used forums before with my 67mustang.

Here is the story. I have a 97 firebird V6. Got it about 7-8 months ago. Has about 80K. The problem is that intermittently when I turn the key to start it up the dash lights go on, I have power. But the engine won't crank. It seems to happen more when the car has been parked in the hot sun for a while. When I bang around near the starter under the car it will start up.

I am new to this car but typically that sounds like a starter solenoid switch. In this car it is a separate part. So I plan to replace it, but I have a few questions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to confirm that the solenoid is the problem? And also any hints on how to replace it. I have a Hayes manual for 93-97 Camaro/Firebird. It doesn't give much help on exactly where the starter is, and how to remove it. Manual says lower front side of engine. And it says if solenoid is operating I should hear a click which I do not.

Manual states, to check it, connect a jumper lead from battery (+) and "S" terminal on solenoid. If car now starts solenoid is OK and problem is in the ignition switch neutral start switch or wiring. But since my problem is intermittent I wonder if this testing will apply, unless I am able to test it when it won't start.

Also the manual says the solenoid is not easily removed from the main starter without complete disassembly. It recommends complete replacement of starter and solenoid. Is this true? The manual covers three types of starters and I'm wondering since the solenoid is sold as a separate part can I replace it by itself?

I have attached some images from the manual. The only underside picture in the manual is for the V8 I'm not sure how much it differs from the V6. I put a red arrow to what I think would be the starter based on the other image of starter removal.
If anyone knows of a website or link with pictures that would help

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob Johnson
San Diego, CA
Attached Thumbnails New Member Question possible solenoid problem-starter-removal.jpg   New Member Question possible solenoid problem-pontiac-engine-underside-small.jpg