Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

brake light problem 97 firebird formula convert.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light problem 97 firebird formula convert.

OK my drivers side brake light will not work. I just bought the car and changed both bulbs so there are brand new ones there. so i'm thinking something got loose in there so if anyone has run in to this problem and has any places i should start looking i'd love the help.

97 firebird formula convert.

thank you all..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Launching!

any one?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to make sure you have power going to the socket with a test light. If that checks out ok, then check the terminals inside the socket. They have a tendency of rusting and falling apart.

The 97's, do they still have the round 1157 type sockets in the rear? Reason I ask is because I'm not sure what year they upgraded the sockets to the 3057 usb looking bulb sockets. I'm assuming they changed it in 98, but want to be sure.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Launching!

yes they have the round looking bulb.

thank you
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Check to make sure you have power going to the socket with a test light. If that checks out ok, then check the terminals inside the socket. They have a tendency of rusting and falling apart.

The 97's, do they still have the round 1157 type sockets in the rear? Reason I ask is because I'm not sure what year they upgraded the sockets to the 3057 usb looking bulb sockets. I'm assuming they changed it in 98, but want to be sure.

97's do have the round sockets and are prone to failure.. i just looked at someone's 97 the other day because we were changing his taillight lense and i was curious...i had taillight issues years ago where things would not light up right or one side would blink sequentially instead of together and the other side would go out when the brakes were applied while the right side blinker was on... i called a used parts place asking about a 93-97 taillight harness and they told me that they suck and that a 98-02 3057 socket harness is a direct swap.. so i went and bought one and am going on 3 years of no problems other than one of the used bulbs they gave me burnt out after a year or so.

FWIW i bought my used harness at trans am creations in miami, fl for $35 w/ bulbs. their website is

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

I dont see them on their site but i dont think they ever were.. they usually have a bunch of them, you just would need to call them and ask.. they do ship

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 07-08-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: brake light problem 97 firebird formula convert.