Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

AC oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC oil leak?

It looks like my AC pump is leaking oil. I recently had it off to replace the idler pulley for the belt. Could a bolt be tigtened to much causing a crack somewhere resulting with a leak. It's a 2000 WS6. Any input appreciated.

http://www.andybcrazy.com/leak.html
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

looks exactly like mine. check above your compressor to see if it's a coolant leak (if you're using orange coolant). i believe the oil is supposed to be green in these things. but if anybody has anymore input, i'm listening too.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Furious_George
looks exactly like mine. check above your compressor to see if it's a coolant leak (if you're using orange coolant). i believe the oil is supposed to be green in these things. but if anybody has anymore input, i'm listening too.
I think its suppesed to be green too. Are you sure its not radiator coolant coming from a heater hose right above it?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

^yeah that's what i meant too...radiator coolant, not ac coolant.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I thought at first that it might be a coolant leak because I just installed a Meziere electric water pump when all this took place. The fluid doesn't have the distinct smell of coolant and seems more like oil. If you look at the label on the AC pump in the pic it says synthetic oil and so on. It appears that the seam could be the source. I don't know diddley about AC but will probably find out on one of these 112 degree AZ days. I'll just have to get up early and take it off before it gets to hot to see what the source is.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

I pulled it out of my garage to go downtown Phoenix yesterday and the a/c was blowing hot air like a few bosses that I have had. So I looked up a shop and checked them out because I can't do A/C. Turns out the seal on the compressor wore out which is why it was leaking oil. This is not cheap to fix correctly. The compressor alone is ~$500 then theres a bunch of other stuff that has to be replaced as well flushing the system, seals tubes & blah blah blah. I got 15% off on parts but it's still going to cost me at least a grand. He said he could do the compressor alone but he wouldn't recommend just that and wouldn't warranty it.

I may sell this thing after this.

Last edited by andybme; 07-10-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add comment