Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Headlight Issue/NOT the motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issue/NOT the motors

You guys are my last ditch effort. I am PRAYING someone can help me out here

Bout 3 weeks ago I noticed that the headlights to my 02 WS6 automatically came on after I turned the **** inside to OFF. Didn't think anything of it and just let it go. Did it again the next day. So I kind of played around with it to see if it was the gears going out. No sound made from the motors and they don't come up and down when I hit the key fob buttons. So most of the symptoms that show its the headlight gears being stripped aren't happening.

So fast forward about a week and they stop going up on their own. Figured it was just something that needed to be worked through the system and its good now. WRONG. It started acting up again last week. I pulled the two fuses that activate the headlight doors to go up in the hopes the lights would turn off since they weren't activated. But the headlights are still coming on even though the two fuses are pulled (both were 15's). So I'm thinking its either something that is tripping the lights to think the light **** inside the car is on, but I'm not even close to knowing.

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what is causing this to happen? I'm out of guesses, and I really don't want to take it to a stealership without at least some things to throw at them if I have to take the car there.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like your switch inside is faulty. Try replacing it and go from there.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alex41
Sounds like your switch inside is faulty. Try replacing it and go from there.
Give me the basic rundown with what to do
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Launching!

may want to check all wiring connectors, my driver side wouldnt go up every now and then but the lights would go on still, never made a grind or anything like gears going out, I unhooked the wiring to the light and looked at the connectors and they were all corroded inside. Sprayed them with air and cleaned them real good and put some anticorrosion spray in them and plugged it back in. Has worked for about 2 years since.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redfbird99
may want to check all wiring connectors, my driver side wouldnt go up every now and then but the lights would go on still, never made a grind or anything like gears going out, I unhooked the wiring to the light and looked at the connectors and they were all corroded inside. Sprayed them with air and cleaned them real good and put some anticorrosion spray in them and plugged it back in. Has worked for about 2 years since.
Are we talking about the connectors attached to the headlights or the connectors that are 9-pin (i believe) that attached to the motors and from the motors attach to the fuse box? Maybe I'll just check em all

Thanks for the heads up too I didn't even think about checking the other side (just redid my driver sides wiring)

Quick Reply: Headlight Issue/NOT the motors