Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

How is the exhaust note on the G8? I get kind of tired of the exhaust on my Mustang, even though it is quieter than many other aftermarket exhaust sytems.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exhaust note? It don't have an exhaust note. My Camry was louder than a G8. Hell, my Mazda Protege was louder than a G8. But the G8 is still a great car.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

I's whisper quiet. no louder than a BMW.

I want more power, but I don't want the car any louder than it is. I love the sleeper feel.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has a good tone but is very quiet.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Master8ter
I's whisper quiet. no louder than a BMW.

I want more power, but I don't want the car any louder than it is. I love the sleeper feel.
I feel the same way!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running Kooks 1 7/8 headers to the Kooks catted x-pipe with factory axle backs. 40 WHP after tune and it's still very quite, no better mods out there.
Tate
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Exhaust noise is non-existent. I put a Magnaflow catback on mine because the lack of sound drove me nuts. But that is just me. I like a little bit of a rumble.

So quiet in fact that I had it running at a car show (pre catback) and I was talking about how quiet the car is and said, "yeah, you cant even tell it is running right now." Passer by who was not a part of the conversation said, "that thing is running?"
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Oh well. I have heard it is very quiet, but I don't mind all that much because the exhaust on my Mustang gets old after a while. I wouldn't mind a little bit of a rumble. What about when you stomp on it?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Teching In

When you get on it with stock exhaust you do hear some engine noise. it sounds pretty cool. With the catback it sounds REAL good. Even with the catback, my stock LS2 GTO is still louder.

Bad thing about having a catback on the G8 is drone at highway speeds when the active fuel management kicks in. That gets a little annoying. But I just turn the radio up. If you are tired of the exhaust note on your mustang, then i would not put a catback on the G8...may want to look at just getting axle backs. the x-pipe is what causes all of my drone and a lot of the noise as it is replacing the resonator.

Go test drive a G8...enough of them on car lots now that it shouldnt be hard to get a test drive.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cashed
When you get on it with stock exhaust you do hear some engine noise. it sounds pretty cool.
Agreed, but your right about it being very quiet otherwise. It does feel weird driving a car you cant hear

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cashed
When you get on it with stock exhaust you do hear some engine noise. it sounds pretty cool. With the catback it sounds REAL good. Even with the catback, my stock LS2 GTO is still louder.

Bad thing about having a catback on the G8 is drone at highway speeds when the active fuel management kicks in. That gets a little annoying. But I just turn the radio up. If you are tired of the exhaust note on your mustang, then i would not put a catback on the G8...may want to look at just getting axle backs. the x-pipe is what causes all of my drone and a lot of the noise as it is replacing the resonator.

Go test drive a G8...enough of them on car lots now that it shouldnt be hard to get a test drive.

Already in the works. I am driving to Dallas next week or week after to pick it up. I will test drive it when I get there. I am bummed about selling the Mustang though even though I hardly drive it anymore. But on the bright side, it runs like a champ at 117,000 miles. Probably no better time to sale it.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Teching In

sell it while you can...if you luck is anything like mine, as soon as i rack up mile and wear on a vehicle and really fall in love with it and dont want to part with it, then it turns around and starts giving me problems.

I am sure you will enjoy the G8, I have, but it will be a BIG change from a mustang. Shoot it is a much bigger vehicle for one.

Good luck with the purchase and I hope you enjoy your new ride!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I am sure it will be a big change considering the size and weight, but I am really excited because I think it is a bad a$$ car for a good price. You can't beat that much power that low of a price.

Quick Reply: Exhaust