Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago

I was driving by a local Pontiac dealer last and they had a silver G8 GT sitting out front and I just had to have it, The old TBSS was getting up in miles and while it was a fun truck it sure rode like one, not to mention the abysmal premium only gas mileage.

So far I'm liking the G8, it has the sport and premium package (summer tires) and after a good wringing out in the mountains Sunday I have to say not bad. Build quality looks decent, fuel mileage is better than the TBSS and it rides 100x better. So far I'm happy, I didnt get the uber discounted price on the car like some did but they gave me way more than I would have sold the TBSS for outright so I'm happy with the deal. One damn nice car for under 30K thats for sure.

Not going to do many mods, maybe a mild tune, CAI and a little louder exhaust. Wife likes it and the kids like it so thats a plus as well, shame it will br the last new Pontiac I ever buy but at least it appears to be one of the better ones.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g1.jpg   Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g2.jpg   Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g3.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Combine the mild tune, cold(er) air, and louder exhaust in a procharger system. Only drawback is it doesn't shift from 5th to 6th at WOT.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I WANT ONE.....damn thats a nice car.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Congrats on the new G8! I am in a similar boat. I had originally thought of getting rid of my truck for the G8 and keeping my TBSS, but now I want to keep my tuck and am considering getting rid of the SS/getting into a G8 GT. Do you have ANY regrets on saying bye to the TBSS? Any performance differences feel wise? Any thoughts would be awesome! BTW awesome ext/int color setup!!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Congats, good looking colour combo.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Awake455
Combine the mild tune, cold(er) air, and louder exhaust in a procharger system. Only drawback is it doesn't shift from 5th to 6th at WOT.
I already have one procharged money pit

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS
Congrats on the new G8! I am in a similar boat. I had originally thought of getting rid of my truck for the G8 and keeping my TBSS, but now I want to keep my tuck and am considering getting rid of the SS/getting into a G8 GT. Do you have ANY regrets on saying bye to the TBSS? Any performance differences feel wise? Any thoughts would be awesome! BTW awesome ext/int color setup!!
I liked the TBSS, had it two years and never had an issue except for a tail light that would get water in it. Best the TBSS ran stock was 9.10 in the 1/8, most say these will go 8.80 stock so it should be quicker. Cool part is its regular fuel and after a week of driving its at 21mpg avg and the TBSS was 16mpg for the same weekly routine.

The G8 interior seems a lot bigger, I'm 6'4 and my head doesnt rub the roof like the TBSS, the TBSS seats I could never really get comfortable in. The TBSS really tires you out between the stiff ride and touchy steering on 8 hour drives,the G8 suspension isnt 75 caddy soft but it rides like a luxury car, my 2500hd rides smoother than the TBSS. Back seat is huge, trunk is huge, the TBSS could tow 6000lba but I have a dmax so that doesnt matter. Dont get me wrong, I really like the TBSS and they are cheap these days, but I wanted to get back to a car that gets reasonable gas mileage, looks good and is LS powered - not many choices for that

These have some quirks, wish it had NAV and the radio controls are unique to say the least, Interior is a little higher quality than the TBSS but its still too much plastic stuff. But its more european looking plastic than GM plastic so it isnt bad. Also no spare (GT, GXP) and a huge spare tire well doesnt make a lot of sense, I hate the goo and pump. I could see it on a Z06 but not a car with a spare tire well you can put a 325 drag radial in.

But overall its a cool car, I wanted one since they first came out so I figured I'd get one now..
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same boat here. Got rid of my TBSS in March to get the G8. Hated to see that go, and love the new car at the same time. I agree with kp, it has a couple quirks, but overall very nice.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think the big thing with the no spare is that a spare wouldn't go over the brakes. Not positive but I think that's it.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
Same boat here. Got rid of my TBSS in March to get the G8. Hated to see that go, and love the new car at the same time. I agree with kp, it has a couple quirks, but overall very nice.
Yea, I miss the TBSS, mine was just a 2wd 1ss with a sunroof and thats it, but it was a lot of fun to drive around and I seldom seen another one, but no one ever gave it a second look. Twice now there was a crowd around this car in a parking lot talking about it, not sure if it was good or bad though lol.

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
I think the big thing with the no spare is that a spare wouldn't go over the brakes. Not positive but I think that's it.
I read they left it off to keep it under 4000lbs, or just to keep the cost down, who knows the reasoning with GM.

I dunno about it not fitting, I bought a space saver tire/tool kit from a place Australia and the V6 G8 spare fits just fine on the GT according to them. A lot of guys are are using 18" V6 wheels for full size spares as well. Maybe they wont fit the GXP with the bigger front brakes.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be interesting to see if the spare tire would fit in our GXP? I didn't know that they didn't come with a spare until I went and looked in the truck and I was like WTF? Either way I have AAA anyways so if I get a flat I'll just tow it for free and get it fixed. The fix a flat stuff eh, it's okay but I don't like messing with it.

Nice buy though and great color!!! Silver is fast!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I say grab a stocker spare and throw it in. It should fit on the back. Most flats/tire damage I have gotten in my life have actually been on the back.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greenfire
That would be interesting to see if the spare tire would fit in our GXP? I didn't know that they didn't come with a spare until I went and looked in the truck and I was like WTF? Either way I have AAA anyways so if I get a flat I'll just tow it for free and get it fixed. The fix a flat stuff eh, it's okay but I don't like messing with it.

Nice buy though and great color!!! Silver is fast!
AAA wont be much of a help, unless they tow the car somewhere, but no matter what you still have a car with 3 tires on a sunday night if the goo doesnt work or the plug doesnt hold. Not to mention the goo will most likely screw up the tire pressure sensor.

I just tried the space saver I got on the front and irear and it fits fine on the GT, it was a little pricy (300) for the OE space saver and tool kit/holder but now its done. Now I dont have to worry about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere at 2am and depending on AAA or GM roadside to bail me out for a simple flat tire.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Teching In

I had read somewhere on either a forum or Car and Driver extended test that the no spare tire was actually to save weight. The target car was the 5 series and the extra weight along with a couple other things contributed to the necessary weight savings.

I agree, not many people have ever (unless they are full blown car guys) talked to me about the TBSS. I have had several people in Envoy Denalis say "hey its awesome we have the 5.3 not the V6 huh?" I just have no idea what to say. I've had sales reps My main thing is the gas savings. I just want to make sure I will consistently be above 20mpg in the G8. I am at 15.9-17.8 for daily average with the SS. I just want to do whats almost impossible: Better performance with better gas mileage. I live in Ma, I have been reading alot about the G8's in the snow and all good things have been said. I hate to hi-jack your thread but not many people (I dont think) have made the jump to a G8 from a TBSS..
Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS
I had read somewhere on either a forum or Car and Driver extended test that the no spare tire was actually to save weight. The target car was the 5 series and the extra weight along with a couple other things contributed to the necessary weight savings.

I agree, not many people have ever (unless they are full blown car guys) talked to me about the TBSS. I have had several people in Envoy Denalis say "hey its awesome we have the 5.3 not the V6 huh?" I just have no idea what to say. I've had sales reps My main thing is the gas savings. I just want to make sure I will consistently be above 20mpg in the G8. I am at 15.9-17.8 for daily average with the SS. I just want to do whats almost impossible: Better performance with better gas mileage. I live in Ma, I have been reading alot about the G8's in the snow and all good things have been said. I hate to hi-jack your thread but not many people (I dont think) have made the jump to a G8 from a TBSS..
Not a hijack, I mentioned the TBSS so its fair game.

My TBSS didnt have the steering wheel controls so I didnt have the mpg display, but when I manually checked it I never got over 15mpg in weekly driving, highway was 18-19mpg on long trips. But the premium fuel was getting to me, mine gas knocked bad on 87. So far after a full week of driving the display is sitting at 21mpg, I'll check it for sure when I fill it up tomorrow. I dont drive either hard, I'm sure I could 10mpg if I try hard enough lol. If its worth anything this car 'feels' quicker, needless to say the TBSS had the power but the 4l60 is a buzzkill if you get caught in that dead zone between 1st and 2nd gear at lower speeds. The 6 speed auto ia way better in that respect, I know the 08's had shifting issues but no complaints out of this one about the trans.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Here is a couple pics of the space saver and tool kit, as you can see there is enough room in the well to put a full size spare in there. I'm sure this is nothing new on some of the G8 specific forums but I didnt see anything about it here. I'm not that **** but now I feel better on a 1000 mile road trip having a spare, fix a flat and a 5.00 Chinese air compressor just doesnt do it for me..
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g4.jpg   Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g5.jpg   Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago-g6.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are doing well with the mpg's LOL. Best I got in the TBSS was 13.9 (AWD). I am doing better in the G8, but not much better. But I am usually
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kp
Here is a couple pics of the space saver and tool kit, as you can see there is enough room in the well to put a full size spare in there. I'm sure this is nothing new on some of the G8 specific forums but I didnt see anything about it here. I'm not that **** but now I feel better on a 1000 mile road trip having a spare, fix a flat and a 5.00 Chinese air compressor just doesnt do it for me..
Hey,

Could you post up the part number of the tool kit? I always like to go to the dealer with a number in hand just as a check so I don't end up with the wrong thing.

I think I will try to grab another GXP wheel off ebay when these cars have been around longer and use it as a full size spare.

These cars are already 4k lbs and I don't see anything we can readily take off without degrading the car. So I don't think a spare will hurt anything.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I bought the tire and tools from a place in Australia, JHP, since then I found that Pace sells them also. Its not just one number, its like 8 seperate parts and they put it together as a kit. I called a local dealer where I know the parts guy and he came up with 290.00 for just the tools so I have no idea what he was looking up.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

All G8s have OnStar navigation, and it's pretty slick I must say. Vastly more convenient than a system you have to constantly fiddle with.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TriShield
All G8s have OnStar navigation, and it's pretty slick I must say. Vastly more convenient than a system you have to constantly fiddle with.
Except they charge an extra 10.00 a month for the turn by turn, even during the 1 year freebie. Onstar should include it a couple months free of the turn by turn to get people hooked on it IMO.

I dont use the GPS that much plus I have two other portable GPS units. Its just a shame to have that big LCD screen and not use it, the Aussie Holdons have GPS, from what I gather the screen is too low to meet US standards.

Quick Reply: Picked up a G8 GT a few days ago