Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Front End / Steering Shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End / Steering Shake

Hello Everyone,

I have an 09 G8 GT with about 15,000 miles on it. I had a Charger R/T before this car... it was nice, but I love my GT. I wish it had a better exhaust note, but other then that I love everything about the car.

A few months ago I developed a shake in the steering wheel at speeds over 65 MPH. The tires have been rotated with each oil change, so it's not uneven wear. For the most recent oil change I decided to take the car to my dealer (Sun Auto Group in Wantaugh) and explained the problem. They told me that they would have a tech drive the car, but not at speeds in excess of 55MPH. I explained to them that I drive interstate often and the speed limits are higher. I was told that they could not risk the safety of the tech at speeds above our local limit. I offered to drive the car with the tech as a passanger and again was told that the dealership could not risk the safety of the tech. I spoke to the manager who gave me the same story. I kept my calm and asked that an alignment be done on the car and to have the tires rotated and balanced. I picked up the car that night and there was no change on the ride home. I called the dealer the next day and was told that there was nothing that could do because the tech had not experienced the issue that I was describing at legal speeds.

I need some help. As the miles have piled up the shake has gotten worse. The steering wheel twitches more than ever, you can see the head rests moving, and passangers have started to comment that they can feel the floor vibrating. This doesn't happen nearly as much at 55 MPH. I'm not being picky, I've had a C5 Corvette and a G35. I know the difference between road feel and a vibration. If it matters, I don't have the sport package. I have 18" wheels with all season tires. Has anyone had a similar problem with the front end? If not, can someone in NY recommend a different dealer that I can try? I'm pretty pissed off that the problem still exists after my $250 alignment and I'd rather not give Sun my business anymore.

I'd appreciate any help or feedback the board can provide.

-Tommy
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

They need to road force balance your tires and then re-roadtest it. These tires (summer) seem to have issues.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

I have the exact same problem. My car is a 2009 with 1500 miles on it. Mine doesn't vibrate as bad as you described but it does feel like the front wheels need to be balanced. I took the car to the dealership and tech said he could not reporduce my concern. So typical. They did say that the 6 cylinder models are notorious for this problem but they have not had any GT customers complain and I was the first. I'm going to go back and make them road force balance the tires.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Veteran

They all pretty much have this issue, HUGE thread on g8board about it. My GT and GXP also has the same shake occasionally but it's not bad enough to hassle with it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRRRR8
They need to road force balance your tires and then re-roadtest it. These tires (summer) seem to have issues.
x2

I had the summer tires on my GT before moving to some RSA All Seasons and had similar symptoms.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
They all pretty much have this issue, HUGE thread on g8board about it. My GT and GXP also has the same shake occasionally but it's not bad enough to hassle with it.
I'm reading up on it too..noticed that with my GXP..was starting to wonder why it was shaking...not too bad but noticeable.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

It was also happening with my Gxp but how Greenfire said it is not bad enough to lose my sleep over it.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Teching In

x2 on the road force balance. Had it done on my truck at 6k miles and they had to replace two tires cause they were not able to bring them into spec. I am starting to have my doubts on the qc of oem tires.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I just purchased a 09 GT used and they said they need to turn the rotors on it. Service manager is pretty cool and he said that GM was recommending to turn the rotors every 25,000 miles, under warranty of course.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like my G8 had too much road force balance on it so they re-did it and that fixed the shaking issue.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

mine is the same and i took it and there replace the lower control arms and ***** joints, not sure if thats going to fix it
Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

i got the car back today, they only replace the passanger side and the shaking is about gone, and they ordered the driver side to replace also, so hopefully this get ride of the problem. the dealer said that they all have lower control problems
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by erskine
i got the car back today, they only replace the passanger side and the shaking is about gone, and they ordered the driver side to replace also, so hopefully this get ride of the problem. the dealer said that they all have lower control problems

I hope it is not all...

I have over 6500 miles and drive at speeds well over 65 mph to work and back and no problems yet. I also have the 18 with all season.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:13 PM

I just solved my problem after a long battle with the dealership 3 1/2 months. My car came with 245/40R19 Potenza's RE050. Finally they gave me a new set (same exact tires, just NEW). You wouldn't believe it......like a brand new car! So I say keep complaining to the dealership, it was a bit of a stressful journey but it paid off. Good Luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my tires and it's as smooth as glass now.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

there are a TON of GM bulletins about the shaking guys. i work at a GM dealership and they have traced it back to the driveshaft. the dealer must replace some other things first and make sure that everything is in spec but they will end up having to replace the driveshaft in most cases. ask your GM dealer to do some research on this because there is a bulletin explaining the whole thing and they will get payed to fix it so they shouldnt have a problem doing it. if you guys are having problems with your dealers PM me and i can get you the bulletin number.

Quick Reply: Front End / Steering Shake