Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC Henry
It already randomly shakes/runs rough upon initial start up, as well as making an anemic wheezing/whistling sound upon start up.

The steering wheel shakes at 55 - 65 mph even after rebalancing.

The keyless entry doesn't always unlock all the doors even if you push the unlock button on the remote multiple times.
I have these problems with less then 3,000 miles. I even had the dealershp perform a roadforce balance and the steering wheel shake is still there. This is the most annoying aspect of the car.

My car is stock other then the Vararam intake and I think it feels strong for how heavy it is.

Overall I really like the car. I think there are small issues with almost any car you purchase.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Unfortunately modifying a brand New car with a "Tune" and other such items will VOID the 5y/100k Powertrain Warranty we were told by our area GM Dealerships. (As shown here: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605 )
It depends on the dealership. Some won't care, it's just a matter of finding out who will work with you or won't.

The car shouldn't need "tweaking" already anyways, it is a brand New car. It should be 110% PERFECT just as is.
Let me know when you are ready to join the 'real world'. Your idealist theory doesn't work in the real world. Things break, **** happens.

Having to modify a New car so that is as good as a Used car kinda defeats the purpose of buying New doesn't it ?
Isn't this ls1tech? Aren't about 90% of the cars modded in some fashion or another? It's inherent that us guys who have cars of this nature and hang out on forums of this nature will do some sort of modding.

That would be like buying a brand New house, then having the roof leak, the doors not close smoothly, having pluming and electrical issues, and having to pay extra to get all the New things fixed so its as good as a old worn out Used house.
Again, you need to get involved in the real world. Any new item, car, house, boat has the ability to break down, and as consumers we need to understand that sometimes normal breakdowns happen. It's just a part of doing business, not necessarily a good part, but a part.

IMHO, you are coming off as a hater, not wanting to hear about the positives, but just concentrating on the negatives.

I was just wondering who here is honest.
I'm honest, and I happen to really like my GXP, which during good weather and a good negative DA will be a high 12 second car, bone stock. My first time out, I ran a 13.28 in about 2000 DA, only 400 miles on the car, tank full of 87 octane gas (thanks to the wife), and didn't really know how to drive the car in sport mode as the car was going into 4th about 100' from the end of the quarter costing me between .1 and .2 second. Like my 05 GTO, it is a very solid car.

I have a friend of mine that traded in their 2006 Roush Mustang for a 2009 G8 GT, and they completely hate it. The car is brand new and already it has more issues then their Ford did in the 4 years they owned it.
Bottom line is this, some cars will actually turn out to be a real lemon, that is why there are lemon laws, however I refuse to paint the entire G8 line in lemon yellow when most are solid and well made cars with minimal problems.

If your friend is unhappy and hates it, sell it, but don't look for all of us to jump on the 'G8 is a piece of crap car' bandwagon because your buddy had some problems.

I was just wondering who here is honest.
In this context, I am. I am not a 100% fanboy, but I want to see a thread where deserved positives are mentioned. Three months with my new car, and nothing to warranty yet. I mentioned my 05 GTO, as it is also a Holden product, and during the 2.5 years I owned her, she was NEVER taken in for any warranty work.

Last edited by old_goat; 08-08-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as luxury/comfort, sure it could have been made better. But performance, you cannot possibly say that these cars dont perform well. You are comparing a 4100 lb sedan to a Roush Mustang? My G8 peaked at .92 G on a 200 ft. skid pad and runs mid 13s in the 1/4... STOCK. I ran a best of 13.1 with a handheld tuner. I think the sound system is decent. The throttle hesitation is annoying, but its something i expected with a GM throttle-by-wire.

If I could have imported a HOLDEN instead, I definitely would have. Its a shame GM did actually make the car a tad worse when they brought it over here. slightly mushier suspension and no options at all to utilize the LCD screen.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelg589
As far as luxury/comfort, sure it could have been made better. But performance, you cannot possibly say that these cars dont perform well. You are comparing a 4100 lb sedan to a Roush Mustang? My G8 peaked at .92 G on a 200 ft. skid pad and runs mid 13s in the 1/4... STOCK. I ran a best of 13.1 with a handheld tuner. I think the sound system is decent. The throttle hesitation is annoying, but its something i expected with a GM throttle-by-wire.

If I could have imported a HOLDEN instead, I definitely would have. Its a shame GM did actually make the car a tad worse when they brought it over here. slightly mushier suspension and no options at all to utilize the LCD screen.
My other beater is an '05 Audi A4 with a turbocharged 2.0 and an auto, you havent seen drive by wire/downshift hesitation until its coupled to a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well what I have to say about this is that I absolutely love my car it is a 2009 G8 GT. Just like any other wild animal it can be born in a controlled enviroment but the beast can be unleashed within. Think of it this way this thing is knocking down numbers faster from anywhere from 2tenths of a sec to 5 tenths of a sec faster than many sports cars and this thing is a family sports car with great gas mileage. The rough idle upon start up is probably coming from lifters being controlled by oil pressure also known as DOD (DISPLACEMENT ON DEMAND) WHICH CAN BE DELETED, once it is cycled it is great and ready to go.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

I have driven many cars and to say that a Mustang drives better than a G8 thats crazy. The G8 is using one of the best suspensions in the business for stock cars. The Vette uses it and so does the new Camaro. Handles awesome and I personally think its the best drive for a sedan hands down! Overall has to be considered as one the best cars to drive in the US.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Not to mention I own a 2008 G8 GT and I havent had any issues at all!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess every car has its haters. I have over 20k miles on my blown G8 and have not had a single issue with it.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

my car started the oil plate seal leak at 2k and got fixed at 4k and i still like the car alot
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
yea the crappy part is that even if we could put the aussie nav/radio into our cars we would lose the XM radio and there's no telling if it would have maps of the states in it.

XM is a seperate module but I am thinking the Aussie head unit might not be programmed to pick it up.

Further the G8 suspension does have one **** up. It is mcph up front instead of double wishbone like the 2002 camaro and corvette
Best option if you really want a somewhat built in navi is to get that kit from JHP to put a Garmin Nuvi in the dash. 430.00 + a new nuvi isnt bad but you have to pull the whole dash apart. Plus if you needed to update the maps I assume you would have to pull the dash apart again to get to the USB connector to update the maps.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Excellent, well thought out post of your Opinion.

Originally Posted by old_goat
It depends on the dealership. Some won't care, it's just a matter of finding out who will work with you or won't.
Unfortunately since GM is going through rough times and they are looking for any reason possible to Void the factory Powertrain Warranty, the dealerships in our area are not as lenient as some of the yuppy ones in other states. Unfortunate to say the least, but then again... we are talking about a car company that is not even around anymore.

Let me know when you are ready to join the 'real world'. Your idealist theory doesn't work in the real world. Things break, **** happens.
My friend and I both owned newer Mustang's (until just recently we both got GM cars), and neither one of our cars ever had any trouble or had to go to the shop, yet their new G8 hasn't even had its first oil change yet and it has a grocery list of problems (already listed/outlined on all the G8 Forums) that it will need repaired.

Isn't this ls1tech? Aren't about 90% of the cars modded in some fashion or another? It's inherent that us guys who have cars of this nature and hang out on forums of this nature will do some sort of modding.
I completely agree, that this is LS1 tech and that the majority of people that are actively on here, have done some sort of modifications to their cars, but I assume that is to their "race cars" like I have done, and not a brand new daily driver purchased for the sole purpose of having a trouble -free/new car Warranty.

Again, you need to get involved in the real world. Any new item, car, house, boat has the ability to break down, and as consumers we need to understand that sometimes normal breakdowns happen. It's just a part of doing business, not necessarily a good part, but a part.
If its new, it shouldn't have "used car issues". That is wy you pay more for a brand new car, so your not buying someone elses problems.

IMHO, you are coming off as a hater, not wanting to hear about the positives, but just concentrating on the negatives.
I agree that I may have came on a lil strong, but I am by no means a G8 "hater", I am just frustrated to see so many issues in a brand New car from GM (I am a GM guy at heart, but recent GM offerings are making more and more difficult to stay true to GM).

P.S. 2 out of my 3 current vehicles are GM, so I am not a "hater".

I'm honest, and I happen to really like my GXP, which during good weather and a good negative DA will be a high 12 second car, bone stock. My first time out, I ran a 13.28 in about 2000 DA, only 400 miles on the car, tank full of 87 octane gas (thanks to the wife), and didn't really know how to drive the car in sport mode as the car was going into 4th about 100' from the end of the quarter costing me between .1 and .2 second. Like my 05 GTO, it is a very solid car.
I realize that these cars have potential to be quick, but being fast doesn't do any good if GM cant keep the out of the repair shop.

Bottom line is this, some cars will actually turn out to be a real lemon, that is why there are lemon laws, however I refuse to paint the entire G8 line in lemon yellow when most are solid and well made cars with minimal problems.

If your friend is unhappy and hates it, sell it, but don't look for all of us to jump on the 'G8 is a piece of crap car' bandwagon because your buddy had some problems.
They would gladly sell their G8 GT to get something non-GM (unfortunately this is their first GM ever as their family works for Ford so they get "A" plan prices, but hopped on the GM 72 month for 0% and gave GM a chance) and now after I recommended the car I feel like a snake for recommending this lemon.

If anyone wants a low mileage loaded G8 GT in White, for $32K let me know, they haven't even gotten their first car payment issued yet so its a brand new car still.

In this context, I am. I am not a 100% fanboy, but I want to see a thread where deserved positives are mentioned. Three months with my new car, and nothing to warranty yet. I mentioned my 05 GTO, as it is also a Holden product, and during the 2.5 years I owned her, she was NEVER taken in for any warranty work.
Something else just broke on their brand New G8 today.... 3 of the smaller led brake lights in the upper most brake light just burnt out. They will add that to the grocery list of things wrong with the brand new car once its time for its first oil change.

I really appreciate the time and thought people are putting into their replies now by the way. It is good to see that my friends G8 is not the only brand New one with some sort of issue.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Two trips to the dealer so far for water soaking the driver's side carpet. One blown speaker. We love the car but it's wait and see if these problems are solved and if more will be popping up as time goes on.

It does have driveability quirks due to electronic throttle but you get used to it after driving it regularly. We thought the car had bluetooth but it's an early 09 that didn't. No nav and the ridiculous ds seatback adjustment **** are way low-tech in today's environment. But we can happily live with these design shortcomings for the performance and looks of the car - as long as the reliability is there.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:10 AM
12 Second Club

15,000 miles and ZERO problems...
Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone wants a low mileage loaded G8 GT in White, for $32K let me know, they haven't even gotten their first car payment issued yet so its a brand new car still.
WOW talk about taking it up *** these cars have been going for $26-$27k. even taking the 0% it should have been way less than that.

btw. i love my g8. i dont expect it to be perfect, nothing is. i love the looks, handling, power. inside is on the cheap side but if it were as nice as a 5 series it would cost $10k more than it does and be out of my price range.

you guys with the vibration at 55mph. try puting it in the diagnostic mode and see if that is when the dod is kicking in. i can feel my dod kick on and off in the steering wheel.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

My wife and i just bought a G8 GT last weekend, and we love the car. It handles well, has plenty of go for its size and more rear seat room than the tahoe we traded in on it. with just 350 miles on the clock it went into the dealership for a small problem. We had to fill the front passsenger tire up every day but could not locate any hole in the tire so we took it in to find out what was going on. Well the service manager removed the wheel and dunked it, turns out that the wheel itself had two small holes in it. this is something that was caused during the casting process but they just pulled a new wheel off of another g8 on the lot and off we went. Not a big deal
Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

no shake here from new till now, go get tires road forced balanced people...
Old 08-09-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I am getting the shake and I don't have DOD. It is in the suspension or steering. Probably can be resolved somehow? AKA aftermarket parts?

Not sure to be truthful.
Someone on the Grrr8 forums just asked about vibrations at highway speeds and got a response to get the strut bushings checked. That "bad strut bushings" are a common issue on the G8's. So maybe you guys might wanna check this out if you havent already.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Launching!

My brother just picked up a 09 G8 GT in Stryker blue and LOVES it!!! Turned 1000mi last week and he finally opened it up. This car is mean. For a 4door, what I call "business man" sports car it def goes. He has had absolutely no issues with it at all.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Someone on the Grrr8 forums just asked about vibrations at highway speeds and got a response to get the strut bushings checked. That "bad strut bushings" are a common issue on the G8's. So maybe you guys might wanna check this out if you havent already.
Excellent, information ! Thank you greatly for sharing. Keep them coming people !
Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately modifying a brand New car with a "Tune" and other such items will VOID the 5y/100k Powertrain Warranty we were told by our area GM Dealerships. (As shown here: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605 )

The car shouldn't need "tweaking" already anyways, it is a brand New car. It should be 110% PERFECT just as is.

Having to modify a New car so that is as good as a Used car kinda defeats the purpose of buying New doesn't it ?

That would be like buying a brand New house, then having the roof leak, the doors not close smoothly, having pluming and electrical issues, and having to pay extra to get all the New things fixed so its as good as a old worn out Used house.

Is my friend the only one that feels this way ?
no getting a tune is like buying a new house and then having someone come in a install a hella bose surroundsound and a 60+ inch tv and to add my 2cents in i love my G8 no mods at all i have done killed about 7 mustang GTs 1 2002 and the rest were 05 to 2008s the stereo is kick azz even though i added 2 12inch kicker solo classics it handles better than my uncles BMW and well its only about 4 months old but has 11,000+miles

the only thing i don't like about it is that i don't have 2 of them man i love that car and i have seen up to 29.6 miles per gallon also yea i love the car

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?