Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea grrrr8.net is the place to go if your having trouble for sure very helpful folks
Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TKTMAGNT
My wife and i just bought a G8 GT last weekend, and we love the car. It handles well, has plenty of go for its size and more rear seat room than the tahoe we traded in on it. with just 350 miles on the clock it went into the dealership for a small problem. We had to fill the front passsenger tire up every day but could not locate any hole in the tire so we took it in to find out what was going on. Well the service manager removed the wheel and dunked it, turns out that the wheel itself had two small holes in it. this is something that was caused during the casting process but they just pulled a new wheel off of another g8 on the lot and off we went. Not a big deal
Speaking about interior size...

A guy at work was comparing a 300C with my G8 GT and the G8 GT has as large or larger interior than the 300 C.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Teching In

I have a 2009 GT with 22,000 miles on it right now (approximately 6,000 of the miles are with boost). I've added a TVS to it with 65 lb/hr injectors and a Magnavolt. I only have one complaint about the car. The paint, in my opinion, is very poor. I have an inordinate amount of chips on my car (not just on the bumper or side moldings...hood, A-pillar as well). Other than that, the quality of the car in my opinion is very good. The car is very quiet (which makes me wonder if the quality/dampening material is cutting down of the bass from the subs. Have you ever turned your stereo up and opened the trunk and put your head down by it to listen? It's LOUD in the trunk! It's almost like it's baffled wrong. It sounded like there is substantial bass that is not making it out of the trunk and into the cabin). Performance is great. I've had Supras, Mustangs (1000+rwhp TT's) Corvettes, BMW's (2000 M5). This car is an AMAZING value. Anybody who does not recognize this has some sort of agenda. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostedToy
I have a 2009 GT with 22,000 miles on it right now (approximately 6,000 of the miles are with boost). I've added a TVS to it with 65 lb/hr injectors and a Magnavolt. I only have one complaint about the car. The paint, in my opinion, is very poor. I have an inordinate amount of chips on my car (not just on the bumper or side moldings...hood, A-pillar as well). Other than that, the quality of the car in my opinion is very good. The car is very quiet (which makes me wonder if the quality/dampening material is cutting down of the bass from the subs. Have you ever turned your stereo up and opened the trunk and put your head down by it to listen? It's LOUD in the trunk! It's almost like it's baffled wrong. It sounded like there is substantial bass that is not making it out of the trunk and into the cabin). Performance is great. I've had Supras, Mustangs (1000+rwhp TT's) Corvettes, BMW's (2000 M5). This car is an AMAZING value. Anybody who does not recognize this has some sort of agenda. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I am liking that review.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I am liking that review.
especially

This car is an AMAZING value. Anybody who does not recognize this has some sort of agenda.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

its funny when people expect 5 series quality but dont want to pay the price. In the real world there is no perfect car I have friends that have had issues of all kinds with their bimmers, benzs, and lexus's. Lets just accept the g8 for what it is a great value for a lot of car at a good affordable price and that is the key word affordable. no offense kc but if your friends wanted a 5 series why did they not buy one or did they want a great car at a good price? i think the issues is that they may have a lemon, and with all of the issues you keep mentioning i would a. wither ask for a new g8 or b. go to another dealership, i would assume that the dealers are doing everything they can to keep their customers happy and coming back, so i would take this lemon g8 and tell them to get a new unlemony one and enjoy the car. godd luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Speaking about interior size...

A guy at work was comparing a 300C with my G8 GT and the G8 GT has as large or larger interior than the 300 C.
Definitely bigger. My dad has a 300C and my G8 has a lot more room in the rear.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1formula454
I have driven many cars and to say that a Mustang drives better than a G8 thats crazy. The G8 is using one of the best suspensions in the business for stock cars. The Vette uses it and so does the new Camaro. Handles awesome and I personally think its the best drive for a sedan hands down! Overall has to be considered as one the best cars to drive in the US.
The Corvette's suspension is nothing like the G8s/Camaros...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM

The suspension is unbelievably stable at any speed - 120 feels like most cars at 80. I can't believe any of these posts about initial quality - although I have only had mine 2 months, putting on about 2500 miles. It is extremely solid, quiet and comfortable on road trips, yet hauls a## when you want it to. It is my daily driver and I have no complaints.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only issue is with the cheap glove box that is easily scratched and scuffed.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
Definitely bigger. My dad has a 300C and my G8 has a lot more room in the rear.
G8 has more rear seat leg room than a BMW 750i.

And who ever said that the Corvettes suspension is the same as the G8 or Camaro, you couldnt be more wrong. Please do not post about things you dont know about. Some of us are trying to legitimately defend the G8 as an amazing car. You are making us look bad.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoostedToy
I have a 2009 GT with 22,000 miles on it right now.....
Wow, I thought i had a lot of miles. I just passed 17,000
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PerrySoso
The suspension is unbelievably stable at any speed - 120 feels like most cars at 80. I can't believe any of these posts about initial quality - although I have only had mine 2 months, putting on about 2500 miles. It is extremely solid, quiet and comfortable on road trips, yet hauls a## when you want it to. It is my daily driver and I have no complaints.
Last week my wife and I were out on the interstate and I looked down and saw I was doing 94MPH. I mentioned I needed to set the cruise. She couldn't believe I was going that fast. She said it felt like 70.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa
Last week my wife and I were out on the interstate and I looked down and saw I was doing 94MPH. I mentioned I needed to set the cruise. She couldn't believe I was going that fast. She said it felt like 70.
LOL!

We took a trip a few weeks back to the Cherry Festival and the same thing happened. I was cruising without the cruise control and did not realize I was doing 90 mph. Needless to say, I set the cruise control after that. I got about 24 mpg that trip as well.

Definately a nice driving car.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The Corvette's suspension is nothing like the G8s/Camaros...
Nooo joke.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Wow, I thought i had a lot of miles. I just passed 17,000
I have driven it back and forth from Baton Rouge, LA to Morgantown, WV a couple of times to visit family/friends in the last year (My wife has a Lexus IS...my car has 107^ft compared to 88^ft for her car. My trunk has 17.5^ft compared to her 11.5^ft. Plus, I think my car actually gets better gas mileage on the highway as well. I averaged 26.5 (actual mpg...DIC displayed 27.1 or so) with driving 70-75 mph with cruise control on for almost 4k miles of highway driving on these trips. The last trip I was even Maggie equipped. This car is extremely impressive.

Everyone is correct about the G8 being larger inside than the 300. I believe it's 107^ft vs. 104^ft. When I looked it up, I think the G8 has the same size of interior volume as a new generation Toyota Avalon. It's amazing what the design (lines, contours..etc.) does for the visuals on the G8. At a distance, the G8 looks to be about the size of a 3-series BMW to me. Once you get up on it though, you realize the size.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KC Henry
I will assume that the JD Power report provided by G8 owners is true since no one has stepped forward to disclaim all the common problems/issues that brand New G8's have that are constantly being talked about on all the G8 Forums.
you said it best here. BRAND NEW G8

ok your friend had a 06 mustang. lets say it was better. ford started that car in 99( that body) so that is 7 years of fixing ****.

gm has the g8 out for a couple of years.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6

ok your friend had a 06 mustang. lets say it was better. ford started that car in 99( that body) so that is 7 years of fixing ****.

The 06 Mustang body style was started in 05, not 99. It's only been 5yrs now of working on that body style. 3 years more then the G8's. It really doesnt matter, all cars are different. There's always going to be a batch of cars (new or used) that will have there problems and others that will be completely issue free. Something some ppl need to realize, nothings perfect.

Last edited by Badguy7; 08-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KC Henry
I will assume that the JD Power report provided by G8 owners is true since no one has stepped forward to disclaim all the common problems/issues that brand New G8's have that are constantly being talked about on all the G8 Forums.
Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6

Originally Posted by Badguy7
The 06 Mustang body style was started in 05, not 99. It's only been 5yrs now of working on that body style. 3 years more then the G8's. It really doesnt matter, all cars are different. There's always going to be a batch of cars (new or used) that will have there problems and others that will be completely issue free. Something some ppl need to realize, nothings perfect.
The GM G8/Commodore has actually been around since model year 2006, so its had only 1 less year to work all the "bugs" out in comparison to the less-troublesome 2005-2009 Mustang's.

I realize after working for BMW for 5 years, that not all Brand New cars are "Perfect", but I would like to think that GM wouldn't have sooo many common issues as mentioned on all the G8 forums...but then again... we are talking about the same GM that got rid of its V8 Correct-Wheel-Drive Sedan platforms (save for Cadillac).
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

The shaking is likely the tires out of round or in need of balance. That's a common problem, I had it, it was annoying as hell to deal with. My stock tires still have it, my aftermarket tires don't.

The doors scuff to easily and the paint is soft.

The stock tune sucks. If I didn't know better I'd have taken mine back for "issues". That being said a simple tune fixes all that.

The G8 rides much nicer than any Mustang. Its really an apples to orange comparison.

Sorry your friend has some troubles with their new car, give it a chance. Besides I bet if you looked you'd find all kinds of problems with Mustangs too...

Get the dealer to fix those issues that can be fixed.

The Stereo can be adjusted and it works pretty decent for a stock system, when adjusted (there's a bass adjustment in the trunk..check the grrrr8 site).

Give it a chance...its a great car.

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?