Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Agreed! Otherwise, keep the car stock if your that worried.
Please refer to Page 2 / Post # 33 of this thread.

I completely agree, that this is LS1 tech and that the majority of people that are actively on here, have done some sort of modifications to their cars, but I assume that is to their "race cars" like I have done, and not a brand new daily driver purchased for the sole purpose of having a trouble -free/new car Warranty.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, you know what they say about "assuming"..............
Old 08-18-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eric Bazan
Well, you know what they say about "assuming"..............
Yeah, good point.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa
How many warranties have been voided due to ECM/TCM tunes?

Two I know of, LMM diesels though, GM got sick of buying 5,000 transmissions for them I guess.

I doubt the the G8 is on the radar for it but I still wouldnt roll into a dealer with a cam, headers torque converter and tune and bitch about the trans burning up every time you take it to a dragstrip.

Its not worth arguing about, if you 1000% for sure dont want to void the warranty dont mess with it - simple as that. I have no reason to mod a 4000lb 4 door, just like I have no reason to mod my duramax truck, they both are fine for what they are designed for. One for cruising/trips and a fun daily driver and one for towing, they both perform their respective tasks well completely stock
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
Two I know of, LMM diesels though, GM got sick of buying 5,000 transmissions for them I guess.

I doubt the the G8 is on the radar for it but I still wouldnt roll into a dealer with a cam, headers torque converter and tune and bitch about the trans burning up every time you take it to a dragstrip.

Its not worth arguing about, if you 1000% for sure dont want to void the warranty dont mess with it - simple as that. I have no reason to mod a 4000lb 4 door, just like I have no reason to mod my duramax truck, they both are fine for what they are designed for. One for cruising/trips and a fun daily driver and one for towing, they both perform their respective tasks well completely stock
Wow, excellent information. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KC Henry
Yeah, good point.
I know if I had the funds available to me right now, I would probably do a tune, headers, cai, and exhaust on my G8. Not so much for the dragstrip, but for a little bit more kick in the pants for around town. As it stands, though, thats just not in the cards. Besides, I am extremely happy with everything this car is. I believe it lives up to my expectations. It meets and exceeds the goals it was intended for. I am sure any other owner out there will agree. I am very happy with this Pontiac. Is it perfection? No. Its a car, nothing more. I dont believe you'll find any car in any price range that is. As for the car, its probably one of the nicest cars GM/Pontiac has brought to market in quite a while.

EB
Old 08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I am not one that likes to get in the middle of things of tlk **** but i have been following this thread a lil bit and will you do us all a favor KC HENRY and stop tlkn about those piece of **** mustangs. A g8 gt or gxp stock would **** on and old or new mustang gt stock. sry to be rude i am jus tired of looking at mustang stuff. thanks..
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black widow g8gt
I am not one that likes to get in the middle of things of tlk **** but i have been following this thread a lil bit and will you do us all a favor KC HENRY and stop tlkn about those piece of **** mustangs. A g8 gt or gxp stock would **** on and old or new mustang gt stock. sry to be rude i am jus tired of looking at mustang stuff. thanks..
Hello, please do not apologize, you are not rude, you are just stating your opinion. If I held everyone's opinions against them I would be a very upset person lol. I think it is great that we have these Forums where Automotive Enthusiests can gather and share their opinions.

If everyone agreed and wanted the exact same thing it would be boring.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

good man i am glad we see eye to eye then. lol. so what have u done to the g8 so far? did u get the gt or gxp what color?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black widow g8gt
good man i am glad we see eye to eye then. lol. so what have u done to the g8 so far? did u get the gt or gxp what color?
I drive a 96 Impala SS, and a LS1 swapped Caprice, its my best friend who has the G8 GT.

Unfortunately on top of all the other stuff they have to bring it in to service for, now one of the Tire Pressure sensors needs replaced as well, as it is reading 80 psi for no reason at all.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's one of the 2 recalls. ^^
Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had my recall on the tire sensor reprogram yet. All pressures read normally and in check with an actual pressure gauge on the tire. Maybe they fixed it before my car went out and just batch recalled a bunch of cars.

I don't even intend to have the recall done. Waste of time.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah mine hasn't been done yet either. Both of them never acted up as of now. I'll just have them do it when I take it in after my next oil change. I figure I may as well change the oil myself and every 3rd or so take it in so they can just give it a once over.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure what you mean by Voiding the warranty, i've definitely been turned down by dealerships refusing to do certain work becouse of my mods, they where afraid GM wouldn't pay up.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds to me Henry that your buddy got a bad one for sure. Dont judge an entire fleet off of one car. It sucks hes having those problems, and i would definintly be having a fit over all those issues, although minor for the most part, and also it seems easily fixed. I see your point however.

It dosent though do you anygood to come on here and "cheers" to every problem you hear about. No one likes an ***, and if you dont mean to come off as one...you sure are portraying one. Ask about the issues and wait for the feedback..simple.

GM may be going through some tough times, and deleting pontiac was a mistake in my opinion....but thrashing the General on the G8 is absurd. The G8 GT (13.6)- G8GXP (13.0) is better than anything Ford or Chrysler can offer in that price range and platform......and please dont throw in the 4300lb Ecoboost V6, Fake Suede Inserted, 41k dollar boat Tauras SHO (13.7)....Although I do like the look and will give probs to the 365hp effort. Another Opinion is that the Tauras was such a great seller mainly because of price. Its no way going to blow away sells with a 28-41k dollar price tag. Way off topic I know
Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

I think you picked the wrong forum for people to jump on your " my buddy hates his G8 and everyone else should too" bandwagon. Sounds like your friend may have a lemon. . . and why would anyone want to overpay for it? 32k? wtf? your friend has probably ragged it out anyway.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Hell, I daily drove a shitbox f-body for quite a few years and thought those were great cars too
Minor gripes? The touchy throttle in 1st gear from a slow roll.
The more frequently I drive my wife's G8, the more impressed I am. She loves it. The touchy throttle does bug both of us but you get used to it. But I could never give up my "shitbox f-body" for it. I would miss the raw feeling too much. In fact, there's a guy on here selling his G8 for that reason.

So far it looks like our issues have been fixed under warranty and we are very happy with the car.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Default my G8 is a lemon??

I'm not a mechanic nor do I know much about cars other than how to start them and drive.... I purchased my G8GT 11 months ago and it has been in the shop 8 times since May for the check engine light being on. I put it in the shop and get it out, have it for about 5 days and the engine light is back on. I'm fed up! I pay high insurance premiums to drive an altima rental car most of the time. It also has had 3 stereos since May due to the buttons being non-functional or the equalizer randomly changing settings by itself.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Teching In

my dad has a o9 liquid red gt it has 35000 miles on it. he drives alot. the car is amazing it runs like a bat out of hell and handels better than any mustang i have been in. the car has been in the shop once to get the front bumper popped back on. my mom pulled the nose to far over a curb. the car has been amazing i have taken a few trips and love that car
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Totally happy with mine!

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?